Subject: [dhcwg] How should a client behave when the client get two addresses?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:19:27 +0900

Hi all,

Thank you for your valuable comments to my questions all the time.

I have a question in a situation that DHCPv6 client want to get two
addresses from DHCPv6 server.
I think that there are two ways to do this.

One way is to use two IA_Address options in one IA_NA option.
Another one way is to use two IA_NA options.

What is difference between these two ways?
And which way is usually used in the case of getting two addresses.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Best regards,
Hideshi

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:56:04 -0400

The two IA_NA options will work (unless there are restictions at the
server to give the client only one address).

The other (two IA_Address options in one IA_NA option) is not guaranteed
to work at all. For our server, if the addresses are both 0::0, we would
give you only one address (unless the configuration had multiple
prefixes from which we are to assign addresses). If the addresses are
actual values, we MIGHT give them to you IF enabled in the configuration
AND the addresses are not otherwise in use.

So, if you have a test for this, I'd suggest the two IA_NA options. This
is the "RFC 3315" way.

- Bernie 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] How should a client behave when the client get
twoaddresses?

Hi all,

Best regards,
Hideshi