Subject: [dhcwg] T1 and T2 - Valid combinations

From: "S.SenthilKumar (Huawei)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:27:28 +0530

>From the client point of view , Let me know the validity of the following
combinations

T1 = 0 and T2 is Not Zero - ??
T1 = 0 and T2 is Infinity - ??

T2 = 0 and T1 is Not Zero - ??
T2 = 0 and T1 is Infinity - ??

T1 = 0 and T2 = 0 - Valid

Reference : RFC 3315 : T1 and T2 related Statements from RFC

18.1.3. Creation and Transmission of Renew Messages

If T1 or T2 is set to 0 by the server (for an IA_NA) or there are no T1 or
T2 times (for an IA_TA), the client may send a Renew or Rebind message,
respectively, at the client's discretion.

22.4. Identity Association for Non-temporary Addresses Option

 the client MUST use the values in the T1 and T2 fields for the T1 and T2
parameters, unless  those values in those fields are 0.  

If the time at which the addresses in an IA_NA are to be renewed is to be
left to the discretion of the client, the server sets T1 and T2 to 0.

If a client receives an IA_NA with T1 greater than T2, and both T1 and T2
are greater than 0, the client discards the IA_NA option and processes the
remainder of the message as though the server had not included the invalid
IA_NA option.

18.1.4. Creation and Transmission of Rebind Messages

At time T2 for an IA (which will only be reached if the server to which the
Renew message was sent at time T1 has not responded), the client initiates a
Rebind/Reply message exchange with any available server.  

Thanking you,

Best regards,
S.SenthilKumar,
Technical Project Lead, IPng,

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:55:17 +0200

S.SenthliKumar,

I assume you are talking about what a client should do when it gets various
T1/T2 values from the server. Maybe I look at it too simply, but this is my
interpretation:

> T1 = 0 and T2 is Infinity - ??

Then use T2 as given by the server, and the client can pick T1.

> T2 = 0 and T1 is Infinity - ??

Then you use T1 as given by the server, and the client can pick T2.

> T1 = 0 and T2 = 0 - Valid

The client picks both (although in testing we found some clients that used 0).

- --
Shane