Subject: [dhcwg] dhc WG meeting agenda

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:01:29 -0500

Here is the latest revised agenda.  Please be sure to *read* all of  
the drafts before the meeting and be prepared for discussion.

- Ralph

-----

                        DHC WG DRAFT agenda - IETF 70
                         1300-1500 2007-12-04 (Tue)
                    (Last revised 2007-11-20 04:58 PM ET)
                    -------------------------------------

Administrivia                                   Venaas/Droms     10  
minutes
   Agenda bashing; blue sheets; scribe; Jabber scribe

Draft last call and adoption announcements      Venaas/Droms     05  
minutes

RFC 3942 status update                          B. Volz          05  
minutes

Progressing two drafts under RFC 3942           R. Droms         10  
minutes
   <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-06>
   <draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03>

Virtual Subnet Selection Option                 R. Johnson       05  
minutes
   <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-07>
   Review changes prior ot WG last call

Virtual Subnet Selection RAIO Sub-Option        K. Kinnear       05  
minutes
   <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id-05>
   Review changes prior ot WG last call

Container Option for Server Configuration       R. Droms         10  
minutes
   <draft-droms-dhc-container-opt-01>
   Accept as WG work item?

DHCPv6 Bulk Leasequery                          M. Stapp         10  
minutes
   <draft-stapp-dhc-dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery-00>
   Initial discussion

Layer 2 Relay Agent Information                 B. Joshi         20  
minutes
   <draft-joshi-dhc-l2ra-00>
   Followup discussion of revised draft

NTP Options for DHCPv6                          B. Lourdelet     05  
minutes
   <draft-gayraud-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-00>
   Initial discussion and input to ntp WG

Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Msgs    R. Droms         10  
minutes
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-02>
   Ready for WG last call?

Service Identfiers List Option for DHCPv6       H. Deng          10  
minutes
   <draft-deng-dhc-service-identifiers-00>
   Initial discussion for consideration as WG work item

Neighbor Discovery Information over DHCP        S. Krishnan      15  
minutes
   <draft-krishnan-dhc-ndc-option-00>
   Initial discussion for consideration as WG work item
                                                                  
-----------
                                                                 120  
minutes

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:43:36 -0500

Latest revised draft included below...

Note that we have a *very* tight schedule.  Be sure to read the  
drafts prior to the WG meeting and be prepared with questions  
directed toward the desired WG action.

Presenters - please avoid repeating details in your presentation that  
are spelled out in your I-D.  Focus on high-level architecture,  
design questions and other issues related to the WG action.  Forward  
your presentations (PDF preferred!) to [email-masked] by  
Wed, Nov 28, for posting to the IETF meeting materials page.

- Ralph

                        DHC WG DRAFT agenda - IETF 70
                         1300-1500 2007-12-04 (Tue)
                    (Last revised 2007-11-21 10:35 AM ET)
                    -------------------------------------

Layer 2 Relay Agent Information                 B. Joshi         15  
minutes
   <draft-joshi-dhc-l2ra-00>
   Followup discussion of revised draft

DHCPv6 Delegation of Certificates Option        TBD              10  
minutes
   <draft-popoviciu-dhc-certificate-opt-00>
   Initial discussion for consideration as WG work item

Neighbor Discovery Information over DHCP        S. Krishnan      10  
minutes
   <draft-krishnan-dhc-ndc-option-00>
   Initial discussion for consideration as WG work item
                                                                  
-----------
                                                                 120  
minutes

---

From: Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:03:07 +0900

Just curious what happen if IPv6 Prefix Option and ND Prefix Information
Option are in use at the same time ?

>    Initial discussion for consideration as WG work item

Daniel Park [at] SAMSUNG Electronics

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:22:36 -0500

Hi Daniel,
   I was also thinking a lot about this, and I could not find a 
satisfactory answer.  This problem has always existed and needs to be 
fixed by administrative solutions. I think this is related to site 
policy and not for IETF to specify what to do. I was thinking about 
writing a draft that just specifies this issue (clash between info 
gleamed from stateless RA based methods and DHCP based methods) and 
advises admins to come up with a policy that specifies the precedence on 
client machines.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:44:08 -0500

If we're now going to make major changes to the core of IPv6 and combine
ND and 
DHCP at this late hour, then it would probably be a good idea to involve
all the
stakeholders in this decision - so I'm widening the audience to the IPv6
ND team
for comment.

- Wes

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:50:51 -0500

Hi Wes,
   I just want to clarify something. I am not trying to combine ND and 
DHCP. I am just trying to eliminate redundant standardization of the 
same info in two ways and redundant client implementations to process 
these.

Thanks
Suresh

Wes Beebee (wbeebee) wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:54:35 -0500

Wes - Stig and I are aware of the broader scope of this discussion and  
have been in touch with the Internet ADs to make sure this draft and  
the related draft draft-krishnan-intarea-ra-dhcp-00 are discussed as  
Internet Area topics.

- Ralph

---

From: Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:22:11 +0900

one approach is not to define *Prefix Information* in your document and goes
to others ND optional information. Although it seems admin issue, I don't
think we need to have a redundant method for getting *Prefix Information*...
RFC3633 lives up to *IPv6 Prefix Configuration*.

Daniel Park

> From: Suresh Krishnan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:23 PM
> To: Daniel Park
> Cc: 'DHC WG'
> Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Q for draft-krishnan-dhc-ndc-option-00
> 
> Hi Daniel,
>    I was also thinking a lot about this, and I could not find 
> a satisfactory answer.  This problem has always existed and 
> needs to be fixed by administrative solutions. I think this 
> is related to site policy and not for IETF to specify what to 
> do. I was thinking about writing a draft that just specifies 
> this issue (clash between info gleamed from stateless RA 
> based methods and DHCP based methods) and advises admins to 
> come up with a policy that specifies the precedence on client 
> machines.
> 
> Thanks
> Suresh
> 
> Daniel Park wrote:

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:49:24 -0500

Hi Daniel,

> one approach is not to define *Prefix Information* in your document and goes

It is not clear to me what you mean here.I am pretty sure that I have 
not defined prefix information in the document. My goal is to avoid the 
exact thing you are pointing out: use two incompatible ways to do the 
same thing. I think this draft is something that will help us go in that 
direction (i.e. standardize configuration options only once).

> RFC3633 lives up to *IPv6 Prefix Configuration*.

For existing DHCP and ND options that are already duplicated (prefixes, 
DNS...): Well, that ship has sailed, and it is upto admin policy to set 
the precedence as I said in my earlier mail. If you think a technical 
solution is possible, I would be interested in learning about it.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:29:12 -0500

REMINDER!!!

Presenters - we have only received presentation materials for two  
presentations.  Please forward a copy of your presentations (PDF  
preferred) to [email-masked] before 1700EST today.  Avoid  
repeating details in your presentation that are spelled out in your I- 
D.  Focus on high-level architecture, design questions and other  
issues related to the WG action.

Note that we have a *very* tight schedule.  Be sure to read the drafts  
prior to the WG meeting and be prepared with questions directed toward  
the desired WG action.

- Ralph

                                                                  
-----------
                                                                 120  
minutes