Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3315 Clarification : Renewing a prefix

From: "ravi kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:40:19 +0530

I need clarification regarding the following from RFC 3315:

If a client obtains multiple ipv6 addresses from DHCP server, Is it
possible to selectively renew only few addresses.

For instance:
Client obtains the addresses Addr1,Addr2,Addr3 from DHCP Server.
If client sends RENEW for Addr1 alone, do Server renew all the
addresses / Renews only the address sent by the client.

RFC 3315 specifies that " The client includes an IA option with all
addresses currently assigned to the IA in its Renew message".
It is not mentioned clearly in rfc the server behaviour, if client
doesnot include all the addresses obtained from Server, in RENEW
message.

Can someone please clarify this!

regards
Ravi

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:44:48 -0700

> possible to selectively renew only few addresses.

The server is really in control of what prefixes and addresses get sent
back to the client, so no, I don't think the client can control which
addresses it renews in this way.

Anyway, when would you do this?  It might help to say what underlying
problem you're trying to solve here.