Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'DHCP Server Identifier Override Suboption' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:18:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'DHCP Server Identifier Override Suboption '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a DHCP relay agent information sub-option
   that causes the DHCP server to insert a different value for the
   Server Identifier option instead of the IP address of the DHCP
   server.  By inserting the IP address of the DHCP relay agent option
   in the Server Identifier option, the DHCP client will send all DHCP
   messages through the DHCP relay agent, which is useful in some
   deployments in which the DHCP relay agent maintains state about the
   DHCP client.

Working Group Summary

   The DHC WG reviewed this document and raised several issues during
   the WG last call.  All of the issues have been resolved or
   addressed in this revision of the draft.

Protocol Quality

   This specification is an extension to the DHCP specification.  It
   provides the same function as the requirement in RFC 3315, DHCP for
   IPv6, that all DHCP messages be sent to the IPv6
   All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers multicast address.

   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

Note to RFC Editor
 
  Please change:
  OLD:
  the DHCP Relay should forward all DHCP packets all servers.
  NEW: 
  the DHCP Relay SHOULD forward all DHCP packets to all servers.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg