Subject: Re: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several documents - draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-09

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:37:46 -0400

Here's the first of my promised 5 document reviews.

This one is for draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-09.

The following are all minor and could probably be addressed in a note to
the IESG or even ignored:

- Section 2, Terminology
Add definition for "DHCP Proxy"?

Remove "third-party" from definition of "DHCP relay agent". Also, add
reference to RFC 3315.

- Section 4, Overview of Virtual Subnet Selection Usage
In first paragraph, for "This will affect a relay agent, in that it will
have to ensure that the packets sent to and received from the DHCP
client flow over the correct VPN", I wonder whether this wording implies
more than just DHCP traffic. Technically, all a relay agent is concerned
with is DHCP traffic. But as a relay is often on a router ....

In the 2nd (full) paragraph on page 8, "in" is missing "... or a VSS
option [in] the Relay-forward message ...".

- Section 7.2, Returning the DHCPv4 Sub-Option
In the first paragraph, understand should be understands in "... whether
or not the DHCPv4 server understand[s] the VSS sub-option."

- Section 8, Security
The wording of "The VSS option could be used by a client in order to
obtain an IP address from a VPN other than the one where it should." is
a bit ackward I feel? Perhaps just state that a client's use of the
option would allow it to obtain address(es) on any and multiple VPNs.

- Section 9, IANA
Usually this section requests what IANA should do so I'd change "IANA
has assigned the value of TBD for the DHCPv6 VSS option defined in
Section 3.3." to "IANA is requested to assign a value to the DHCPv6 VSS
option defined in Section 3.3 [from the DHCPv6 option registry]."

Again, all of these are extremely minor and I would like to see this
document move forward.

- Bernie 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Bernie Volz (volz)
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:30 AM
To: Ralph Droms (rdroms); DHC WG
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several documents

I'll review the following during their last call:

draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-07 (Informational)
draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-09
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-04 (To be refreshed)
draft-ietf-dhc-container-opt-01 (To be refreshed)

And, I might as well agree to do the last one too ...

draft-ietf-dhc-relay-id-suboption-00

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Ralph Droms (rdroms)
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:49 PM
To: DHC WG
Subject: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several documents

We have several documents that are ready for last call, which will be
started shortly after the WG meeting next week.  Please review these
documents in preparation for the last calls.  As always, we will need
explicit positive responses during the last to determine WG consensus
for forwarding the documents to the IESG.

Here is the list of documents; the documents are Standards Track unless
otherwise indicated:

draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-07 (Informational)
draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-09
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-04 (To be refreshed)
draft-ietf-dhc-container-opt-01 (To be refreshed)
draft-ietf-dhc-relay-id-suboption-00

To ensure we do get reviews on these documents, we're soliciting
volunteers who will commit to reviewing the documents during the last
call.  Please respond to the mailing list if you want to volunteer to
review one or more of these documents.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg