Subject: [dhcwg] Initial DHCPv6 Failover Requirements draft published

From: Tomasz Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:47:18 +0200

Dear group,
Thanks to contributions and comments of 10 people and participation of
many more, we were able to write this draft is relatively short time.
Initial version is available here:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mrugalski-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements/

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Now that the draft is published we will try to keep all discussions on
list, not just meeting minutes.

A reminder: There are weekly audio meetings taking place every Monday,
dedicated to v6 failover. The next DHCPv6 failover meeting will take
place tomorrow: 2011-06-27 10:00am PDT (19:00 CEST)

Due to privacy concerns, the audio bridge number is not going to be
announced on mailing list. I will send bridge numbers to anyone who
asks, though. Bridge details and draft was sent to 18 interested folks
so far.

This is the first failover-related draft - a requirements document. It
will be followed by design document (work on this draft is expected to
begin tomorrow). There is no clear consensus if interoperability between
different vendors is really feasible, but if there is enough interest, a
third document will also be specified - a protocol spec document.

We are trying to keep things simple. It is much easier to succeed with 3
smaller drafts, that one large. Also, we are trying to push as many
non-essential features into extensions, so there may be additional
extension documents that will cover failover-related areas (e.g. load
balancing).

We would like to present this draft during Quebec meeting. It probably
also makes sense to have v6 failover meeting in Quebec, preferably
before DHC meeting.

Tomek

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-mrugalski-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-00.txt
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:52:58 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new version of I-D,
draft-mrugalski-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Tomasz Mrugalski and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:	 draft-mrugalski-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements
Revision:	 00
Title:		 DHCPv6 Failover Requirements
Creation date:	 2011-06-26
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 19

Abstract:
   The DHCPv6 protocol, defined in [RFC3315] allows for multiple servers
   to operate on a single network, however it does not define any way to
   decide which server responds to which client queries.  Some sites are
   interested in running multiple servers in such a way as to provide
   increased availability in case of server failure.  In order for this
   to work reliably, the cooperating primary and secondary servers must
   maintain a consistent database of the lease information.  [RFC3315]
   allows for but does not define any redundancy or failover mechanisms.
   This document outlines requirements for DHCPv6 failover, enumerates
   related problems, and discusses the proposed scope of work to be
   conducted.  This document does not define a DHCPv6 failover protocol.

The IETF Secretariat