Subject: Re: [dhcwg] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines-07.txt

From: David Hankins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:19:07 -0700

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines-07.txt has been
> successfully submitted by David Hankins and posted to the IETF repository.
>
> Filename:        draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines
> Revision:        07
> Title:           Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options
> Creation date:   2011-10-01
> WG ID:           dhc
> Number of pages: 18
>
> Abstract:
>   This document seeks to provide guidance to prospective DHCP Option
>   authors, to help them in producing option formats that are easily
>   adoptable.
>

In this version I've incorporated edits from Jiangsheng's review, an
assortment of minor editorial changes (commas, pluralization, s/byte/octet/
for consistency (the RFC editor would only do this anyway)).

One notable addition beyond this is the inclusion of an extra sentence to
clarify the meaning of "protocol level" options:

  "; these options carry data that is the result of a routine in some DHCP
software"

For full context, the new text;

   There are at least two classes of DHCP options: A bulk class of
   options which are provided explicitly to carry data from one side of
   the DHCP exchange to the other (such as nameservers, domain names, or
   time servers), and a protocol class of options which require special
   processing on the part of the DHCP software or are used during
   special processing (such as the FQDN options ([RFC4702], [RFC4704]),
   DHCPv4 message type option [RFC2132], link selection options
   ([RFC3011], [RFC3527]), and so forth; these options carry data that
   is the result of a routine in some DHCP software).

-- 
David W. Hankins
SRE - Systems Engineer
Google, Inc.