Subject: [dhcwg] WG Action: Rechartered Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 09:51:41 -0700

The Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc) working group in the Internet Area
of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information please
contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
  Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Sheng Jiang <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/

Charter:

The Dynamic Host Configuration working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP
for automated allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses
and TCP/IP protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a Draft
Standard and is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6 is currently
a Proposed Standard and is documented in RFC 3315. Subsequent RFCs
document additional options and other enhancements to the specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for defining DHCP protocol extensions.
Definitions of new DHCP options that are delivered using standard
mechanisms with documented semantics are not considered a protocol
extension and thus are outside of scope for the DHC WG. Such options
should be defined within their respective WGs and reviewed by DHCP
experts in the Internet Area Directorate. However, if such options 
require protocol extensions or new semantics, the protocol extension
work must be done in the DHC WG.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

1. Develop extensions to the DHCPv6 infrastructure as required to meet
new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently in
development are:
- DHCPv6 Stateful issues
- DHCPv6 Failover
- DHCPv6 Load Balancing
- Extending DHCPv6 to work with multiple provisioning domains
- DHCP provisioning of IPv4 clients over IPv6 networks
- Access Network Identifier options
- DNS registration for SLAAC
- Active leasequery
- Secure DHCPv6 with Public Key
- Dynamic Allocation of Shared IPv4 Addresses

Additional topics may only be added with approval from the responsible
Area Director or by re-chartering.

2. Develop documents that help explain operational considerations for
the wider community.

3. Issue updated versions of the DHCP base specifications--
RFC 3315 (DHCPv6), RFC 3633 (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation) and
RFC 3736 (Stateless DHCPv6) so as to fix errata and bring
the documents to the point where they can advance along the
IETF Standards Track.

4. In the process of updating the DHCP base specifications, in
cases where time is of the essence, issue corrections and
clarifications of the specifications in order to quickly address
interoperability problems.

5. Write analyses and interoperability reports on existing DHC
documents, including base specs.

6. When serious interoperability problems are found in other DHCP
specifications, issue updated versions of those specifications to
address the interoperability problems.

Milestones:
  Oct 2013 - Submit dhcpv6-failover-design to IESG
  Dec 2013 - WG last calll on draft-ietf-dhc-addr-registration
  Feb 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-dhc-addr-registration to IESG
  Mar 2014 - WG last call on access-network-identifier
  Jun 2014 - Submit access-network-identifier to IESG
  Sep 2014 - Submit stateful issues draft to IESG
  Sep 2014 - Adopt 3315bis draft
  Jan 2015 - WG last call on 331bis draft
  Apr 2015 - Submit 3315bis draft to IESG
  May 2015 - Recharter, if needed