Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 8213 on Security of Messages Exchanged between Servers and Relay Agents

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 22:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8213

        Title:      Security of Messages Exchanged between 
                    Servers and Relay Agents 
        Author:     B. Volz, 
                    Y. Pal
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 17657
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-relay-server-security-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8213

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8213

The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv4 (DHCPv4) has no
guidance for how to secure messages exchanged between servers and
relay agents.  The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6
(DHCPv6) states that IPsec should be used to secure messages
exchanged between servers and relay agents but does not require
encryption.  With recent concerns about pervasive monitoring and
other attacks, it is appropriate to require securing relay-to-relay
and relay-to-server communication for DHCPv6 and relay-to-server
communication for DHCPv4.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC