Subject: [dhcwg] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-10: (with COMMENT)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 08:28:43 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-10: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your work updating this draft.  I'd like to see the lack of
encryption from client to server explicitly mentioned in the security
considerations section.  Hijacking, tampering, and eavesdropping attacks are
all possible as a result.

I also agree with the SecDir reviewer (Kyle Rose) comments and recommendations,
but saw your response to Eric's comments in that a draft to move from MD5 was
dropped.  It would be good to see how we can better secure this protocol is a
practical and deployable way.

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 04:39:42 +0100

> draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-10: No Objection
Thanks for your review and your vote. See my comments below.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis/
Ok. Will add appropriate text.

> practical and deployable way.
Yes, that's most unfortunate. The sedhcpv6 draft was active since 2013.
It went through a total of 25 revisions, multiple discussions,
brainstorm sessions, an interop, a hackathon and even different teams of
authors. Sadly, in the end the WG couldn't agree on the set of problems
that are to be solved, much less how to solve them.

Tomek