Subject: [Dime] Session-Id adjustment

From: Jan Engelhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:09:26 +0100 (CET)

Section 8.8 ("Session-Id AVP") specifies:

>The Session-Id MUST be globally and eternally unique, as it is meant to 
>uniquely identify a user session without reference to any other 
>information, and may be needed to correlate historical authentication 
>information with accounting information.

What about wraparound? (When initialized with a value close to 2^64)

>At startup, the high 32 bits of the 64-bit value MAY be initialized to 
>the time in NTP format [RFC4330], and the low 32 bits MAY be 
>initialized to zero.  This will for practical purposes eliminate the 
>possibility of overlapping Session-Ids after a reboot, assuming the 
>reboot process takes longer than a second.

NTP carries a subsecond value, so your reboot turnaround time is allowed 
to be theoretically less than 1 second.
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime