Subject: [Dime] RFC3858: Dimeter Election Process

From: Sarkar Biplab <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:04:59 +0530

Hello All,

Can someone please clearity the following paragraph from the
RFC3588-bis-13?

=========
Internet-Draft           Diameter Base Protocol            November 2008

5.6.4.  The Election Process

   The election is performed on the responder.  The responder compares
   the Origin-Host received in the CER with its own Origin-Host as two
   streams of octets.  If the local Origin-Host lexicographically
   succeeds the received Origin-Host a Win-Election event is issued
   locally.  Diameter identities are in ASCII form therefore the lexical
   comparison is consistent with DNS case insensitivity where octets
   that fall in the ASCII range 'a' through 'z' MUST compare equally to
   their upper-case counterparts between 'A' and 'Z'.  See Appendix D
   for interactions between the Diameter protocol and Internationalized
   Domain Name (IDNs).
=================
I believe we are dealing with a "Case-insensitve lexicographically"
comparison here.

How does it deal with un-equal similar names?
e.g  originHost  and OriginHostName? 

Can someone please throw some light on this?

Thanks & Regards
Biplab
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Jan Nordqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:09:51 -0800

Biplap,

It is case-insensitive for for the applicable code-point range, i.e.
ASCII.

Case insensitive comparison of the two literal strings (if that is what
you mean) "originHost" and "OriginHostName" would make

"originHost" succeed "OriginHostName". It is a configuration error if
two peer's Origin-Host names are different only by case.

- Jan Nordqvist.

Sarkar Biplab wrote:

Hello All,

=========

Domain Name (IDNs).

=================

Thanks & Regards

Biplab

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:32:33 -0800

Hello All,

Can someone please clearity the following paragraph from the  RFC3588-bis-13? 

=========

I believe we are dealing with a "Case-insensitve lexicographically" comparison here.

Just like a dictionary: if two strings have identical initial substrings, the longer string succeeds the shorter.

Thanks & Regards
Biplab

---

From: Jan Nordqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:59:17 -0800

Duh! I meant "originHost" *precede* "OriginHostName"...

Jan Nordqvist wrote:

Biplap,

- Jan Nordqvist.

Sarkar Biplab wrote:

Hello All,

=========

Domain Name (IDNs).

=================

Thanks & Regards

Biplab