Subject: Re: [Dime] freeDiameter 1.0.0 released

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:44:52 +0200

Hi Sebastien, 

I just wanted to say how happy I am about this open source version of Diameter. At the time when your announcement was sent to the list I was sitting in the AAA doctors team lunch meeting at the IETF #78 and spoke about the need to have more running code and other things one should be doing in the DIME/RADEXT working group beyond just writing specifications.

I hope that folks in the group will use your Diameter implementation to write their specification as an extension so that we can be more confident about the quality of our work. 

Although I have not yet looked at the code you have produced I was wondering how easy/difficult it would be to let your code to interact with some of the FreeRADIUS code. FreeRADIUS is quite strong in the interworking with backend databases and you ideally want to have that as well. Have you thought about this issue of integrating the freeDiameter in an existing IT infrastructure?

Ciao
Hannes

PS: Sorry for my late response. 

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von: Sebastien Decugis
Gesendet: 29.07.10 13:08 Uhr
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [Dime] freeDiameter 1.0.0 released

Dear DiME members, It is my pleasure to announce the first release of freeDiameter, a new open-source implementation of the Diameter protocol. freeDiameter is released under the BSD license. It is written in C, and should run on any modern POSIX system (tested on GNU/Linux and FreeBSD). freeDiameter is designed as a framework: a daemon handles the Diameter Base Protocol operations (network management, messages routing) common to all Diameter nodes, while extensions provide the additional Diameter applications logic to each peer. The daemon is fully compliant to RFC3588 and draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis-21, including native support for IPv6, SCTP, and TLS. In this first release, the following extensions are available: - A Diameter EAP server implementation (RFC4072) with support for EAP TLS and MD5 methods (additional methods to be added later). - A Diameter SIP server implementation (RFC4740) -- experimental. - A RADIUS/Diameter translation gateway with support for NASREQ (RFC40
 05), EAP (RFC4072), SIP (RFC4740) and Accounting (RFC3588) applications. - A simple Diameter Accounting (RFC3588) implementation. freeDiameter also comes with a set of debug tools and mechanisms that may be handy to anyone involved with Diameter. For more information and download information, please visit the freeDiameter homepage at http://www.freediameter.net Thank you, The freeDiameter team. (supported by NICT and Teraoka-Lab., Keio University) -- Sebastien Decugis Research fellow Network Architecture Group NICT (nict.go.jp) _______________________________________________ DiME mailing list [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:54:25 +0200

Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Although I have not yet looked at the code you have produced I was
> wondering how easy/difficult it would be to let your code to interact
> with some of the FreeRADIUS code.

  Sebastian and I have had conversations about this.  The simplest
approach in my opinion would be to have a Diameter to RADIUS gateway.
That would allow interoperation with *any* RADIUS server.

  A harder approach is code integration.  This involves checking data
structures and APIs for compatibility.  I haven't had the time to do that.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Sebastien Decugis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:30:59 +0900

Hello Hannes,

Thank you for this kind message :) I am also convinced that having an
open implementation of the Base Protocol will help improve the quality
of future Diameter works, and the freeDiameter implementation was
created with this goal in mind.

About integration with existing systems, as Alan mentioned, we have
discussed about this possibility already; but the freeradius code
heavily relies on the RADIUS messages structure and re-using this code
would require a large rewriting to abstract the message structure and
format (for example to be able to reuse freeradius backends with
freeDiameter). This is a work I cannot undertake myself at the moment,
and in any case it would be more or less equivalent to a
Diameter-to-RADIUS gateway implementation (the project already contains
a RADIUS-to-Diameter gateway extension).

On the bright side, I have received feedback from many people who are
interested in the implementation, and I believe the project will grow
quite quickly, with new modules to provide the most useful features.
FreeDiameter is very young, so the API is not very stable yet (I plan to
change the structure a little so that it is easier to implement Diameter
client application in existing software) but I expect it to mature
quickly with a growing community of users in the next few months.

Thank you for the support!

Best regards,
Sebastien.

Le 28/08/2010 03:44, Hannes Tschofenig a écrit :
>
> Hi Sebastien, 
>
>
> I just wanted to say how happy I am about this open source version of
> Diameter. At the time when your announcement was sent to the list I
> was sitting in the AAA doctors team lunch meeting at the IETF #78 and
> spoke about the need to have more running code and other things one
> should be doing in the DIME/RADEXT working group beyond just writing
> specifications.
>
>
> I hope that folks in the group will use your Diameter implementation
> to write their specification as an extension so that we can be more
> confident about the quality of our work. 
>
>
> with some of the FreeRADIUS code. FreeRADIUS is quite strong in the
> interworking with backend databases and you ideally want to have that
> as well. Have you thought about this issue of integrating the
> freeDiameter in an existing IT infrastructure?
>
>
> Ciao
>
> Hannes
>
>
>> Dear DiME members,  It is my pleasure to announce the first release of freeDiameter, a new open-source implementation of the Diameter protocol.  freeDiameter is released under the BSD license. It is written in C, and should run on any modern POSIX system (tested on GNU/Linux and FreeBSD). freeDiameter is designed as a framework: a daemon handles the Diameter Base Protocol operations (network management, messages routing) common to all Diameter nodes, while extensions provide the additional Diameter applications logic to each peer. The daemon is fully compliant to RFC3588 and draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis-21, including native support for IPv6, SCTP, and TLS.  In this first release, the following extensions are available: - A Diameter EAP server implementation (RFC4072) with support for EAP TLS and MD5 methods (additional methods to be added later). - A Diameter SIP server implementation (RFC4740) -- experimental. - A RADIUS/Diameter translation gateway with support for NASREQ (RFC4005), EAP (RFC4072), SIP (RFC4740) and Accounting (RFC3588) applications. - A simple Diameter Accounting (RFC3588) implementation.  freeDiameter also comes with a set of debug tools and mechanisms that may be handy to anyone involved with Diameter.  For more information and download information, please visit the freeDiameter homepage at http://www.freediameter.net  Thank you, The freeDiameter team. (supported by NICT and Teraoka-Lab., Keio University)  --  Sebastien Decugis Research fellow Network Architecture Group NICT (nict.go.jp)  _______________________________________________ DiME mailing list [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
>

-- 
Sebastien Decugis
Research fellow
Network Architecture Group
NICT (nict.go.jp)

---

From: Victor Pascual Avila <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:29:33 +0200

Hi Alan,

> That would allow interoperation with *any* RADIUS server.

Out of curiosity: is there any standards work on this beyond
draft-zorn-dime-radia-gate?

Many thanks in advance,
-- 
Victor Pascual Ávila