Subject: [Dime] [DIME]diameter client failover and retransmission

From: Ravi Gunturu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:56:09 -0700

Hi,

I have a question on the diameter client failover. Let us assume there are
two nodes Active(C1, origin-host:H1) and Standby(C2, origin-host:H2)
diameter clients and have successfully established connections with the
diameter server S1.  Client C1 also has active sessions with server S1 that
were originally established from C1. My question is when C1 fails over to
C2, Can C2 send CCR updates on these sessions with the origin-host of C2?

If the answer to the above question is yes, How will the retransmission work
from C2?

According to RFC 3588, On the Server, the duplicate messages are detected by
the combination of End-to-End identifier and Origin-Host(section 3, page
33). Is it OK  for C2 to retransmit the message with the T-flag set, the
same End-to-End identifier and a different origin-Host? What would be the
server behavior in this case, Would it take it as a duplicate message?

Please note that both the active and standby diameter nodes have connections
always on from their respective origin-host IDs, when the failover happens
the standby client would start right away working on the sessions without
having to wait to reestablish the connection.

Thanks in advance,
Ravi

---

From: Ravi Gunturu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 15:01:15 -0700

Could someone please respond to the question below?

Thanks,
Ravi

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Ravi Gunturu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If the answer to the above question is yes, How will the retransmission
> work from C2?
>
> According to RFC 3588, On the Server, the duplicate messages are detected
> by the combination of End-to-End identifier and Origin-Host(section 3, page
> Please note that both the active and standby diameter nodes have
> connections always on from their respective origin-host IDs, when the
> failover happens the standby client would start right away working on the
> sessions without having to wait to reestablish the connection.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ravi
>