Subject: [Din] Decentralised, peer-to-peer approach

From: Zsolt Pardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 01:04:03 +0100

Hi

I just wanted to send this email to say a hello to the group as I have just
joined to the mailing list.

I have been participating at the W3C WoT Interest Group, my details are T Z
Pardi, public invited participant in the member list at
https://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=75874&public=1.

I am trying to make progress in decentralised, peer-to-peer IoT and
blockchain related subjects within the group. I think there is consensus
within the industry that the decentralized approach is here to stay. Users
start to realize that decentralised computing addresses many
business/system requirements; scalability, high availability, confirming
data origin and accuracy, tracking updates, establishing true data
authority and ensuring privacy, and does this all in a relatively cost
effective manner. These are everyday problems for businesses and users. To
address scalability and high availability requirements is even more
pressuring problem for SMEs and new businesses (that need to build up their
infrastructure from scratch). I am also passionate about this technology
from software development viewpoint. I have been working with Bitcoin and
other blockchain techs for a while. I also wrote this whitepaper and it is
at http://streembit.github.io/downloads/streembit_whitepaper_v101.pdf . It
is related with a decentralized, peer-to-peer open source system I wrote
recently. I released the system 2 weeks ago, it is GNU licensed, so can be
used, copied, forked, etc. without any restriction.

I also started to work on a protocol which perhaps can grow to an IETF
standard. The industry probably will need a standard - currently, as many
large cryptocurrencies as much implementation. I thought it would be great
to create a collaboration which delivers a protocol. The protocol would
address contact discovery, transport and storage which are generic
functionalities and system components and these are not exclusive to IoT.
Currently the repo is at
https://github.com/w3c/web-of-things-framework/blob/master/documents/p2p/protocol.md.
I am not sure if anyone is interested to work on this? What would be the
repository if we work on the protocol? Would the repo stay at W3C or would
we use one of the IRTF repository?

Thanks for your time to read this and please let me know if you have any
questions.

Regards,
Tibor