Subject: [Din] DINRG@IETF-101

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 17:45:32 +0100

Hello,

DINRG has been scheduled for Monday, March 19, 09:30 —  12:00 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/agenda.html).

Let us know if you are interested to present or discuss something. We 
are especially interested in use cases, experiments and analytical 
results on distributed ledger tech.

Thanks,

Melinda and Dirk

---

From: David Mazieres <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 11:28:35 -0700

Hi, everyone.  We've submitted a draft describing the Stellar Consensus
Protocol (SCP) here:

        https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mazieres-dinrg-scp/

Unfortunately, because the deadline caught me a little bit by surprise
(somehow I thought it was 1 week in advance instead of 2), the draft is
very rough.  I intend to have something better in time for the meeting.
Ideally we can have some discussion of the protocol at the meeting.

At a very high level, SCP is an adaptation of Byzantine agreement
techniques to an open setting, where you need to worry about Sybil
attacks.  I presented it at the SAG session of IETF 98 in Chicago.  If
people want to do things like put transparency logs on a blockchain, yet
don't want to tie security to the price of Bitcoin or rational actor
assumptions, then SCP might be a good solution.

The high-level idea behind SCP is that each participant has its own
notion of what constitutes a satisfactory quorum based on the
trustworthiness of known participants.  E.g., maybe I trust any group of
2/3+1 certificate authorities in Mozilla's root CA list.  Maybe you
require a quorum to include all of these plus the ACLU or EFF.  A quorum
is only complete when every member of the quorum is satisfied.  SCP
guarantees agreement using an assumption that these dependencies
transitively converge.

David