Subject: [Din] dtube, decentralised video streaming

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 10:27:26 +0000

Hi DINRG,

We studied DTube, a decentralised video streaming platform (uses IPFS underneath) 
and compared its performance to YouTube. Paper is now online, thought to share:

— Vaibhav

Measuring Decentralized Video Streaming: A Case Study of DTube

paper: https://bit.ly/2SOcqgT
slide: https://bit.ly/3iWIudz
video: https://vimeo.com/437110288

------------------------------
Vaibhav Bajpai, www.vaibhavbajpai.com

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 08:58:05 -0700

Thanks for sharing your work.  I do wonder how different the results might
be with a different corpus of videos.  If I understand correctly, you chose
by selecting trending videos from each service.  Those are videos which are
very likely to be in the caches of edge devices in Google's CDN.  While the
apparent hop count might not change with an unpopular video, the backhaul
to collect the video might change the apparent (and relative) performance.

A larger point may be that consolidation and centralization seem to be
inversely proportional in some cases.  Larger providers can afford to
support multiple datacenters or to use CDNs, so they may have better
distribution through the network than distributed systems run by smaller
players.  If the resulting latency improvements drive traffic, you have a
feedback loop.

regards,

Ted

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 3:27 AM Bajpai, Vaibhav <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Din mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/din
>