Subject: [Din] Workshop on Centralization -- Final Agenda

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 22:22:26 +0200

DINRG Workshop (Interim Meeting) on the Centralization in the Internet
======================================================================

-   June 3rd, 19:00 UTC to 22:00 UTC
-   
[MeetEcho](https://meetings.conf.meetecho.com/interim/?short=ed3b91f7-04e0-4cdb-9477-f1014f5ca47b)
-   [Meeting
     Materials](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/session/dinrg)
-   [Meeting Notes and
     Bluesheet](https://codimd.ietf.org/irtf-dinrg-interim-2021-06-03)

Agenda
------

|     |                                      |             |        |
|-----|--------------------------------------|-------------|--------|
| 1   | Welcome and Introduction             | Chairs      | 15 min |
| 2   | Panel \#1: WHY: Is Big Really Bad?   |             | 60 min |
| 3   | Break                                |             | 15 min |
| 3   | Panel \#2: HOW: How Did We Get Here? |             | 60 min |
| 4   | Open Discussion: Feedback, Thoughts  | Chairs, All | 30 min |

### Panel \#1: WHY: Is Big Really Bad?

#### Topics

-   Economic, societal, regulation perspective
-   Centralization in the Internet and Elsewhere

#### Intro Talk: Geoff Huston

#### Panel

-   Dirk Kutscher (Moderator)
-   Henning Schulzrinne
-   Dominique Lazanski
-   Geoff Huston

### Panel \#2: HOW: How Did We Get Here?

#### Topics

-   Architectural & technical discussion
-   Factors enabling centralization?

#### Intro Talk: Christian Huitema

#### Panel:

-   Lixia Zhang (Moderator)
-   Thomas Hardjono
-   Jari Arkko
-   Trinh Viet Doan
-   Christian Huitema

Motivation
----------

The networking community generally seems to agree that the Internet
consolidation and centralization trend has progressed rapidly over the
last few years, bringing impactful societal and economical consequences.
To counter that trend, multiple studies and activities have been
launched to decentralize the Internet and the Web (for example see
https://blog.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/IHPbriefs\_decentralization\_March\_2017.pdf,
https://solidproject.org/, and https://www.decentralizedweb.net/, plus
various Blockchain-inspired approaches).

When the internet started as a completely decentralized system 40 years
back, at that time perhaps few people, if any, could have foreseen where
it is today. How did we get from there to here? What is driving
aggregation and centralization in the Internet? What are the
implications for industry actors and technology as well as for
users/consumers?

We believe that a good understanding of this question could make a good
first step towards understanding whether it is possible/feasible, and if
so, how, to steer the Internet away from centralization.

Objectives
----------

The objective of this workshop is to start an open discussion on the
above question to help clearly characterize centralization in the
Internet and to discuss its root causes. That is, before jumping to
discussing various potential solutions, we suggest taking a step back
and discussing how we got from there to here, and what were the driving
forces and enablers at each stage.

We believe that a sound and evidence-based understanding is of key
importance for devising any effective form of remedy and action plan. In
particular, we would like to foster an understanding on the relationship
of architectural properties and economic developments. For example,

-   whether any architectural features, or lack of them, made an impact
     on the internet ecosystem developments and business models; and
-   from a retrospective view, was there anything that might have been
     done differently, to have an impact on the course the Internet has
     taken?

This is a complex problem with many relevant factors (technical and
economic) and historic developments, so we would like to invite
contributions on all of these aspects to this first workshop which may
likely lead to further in-depth follow-up discussion. A result of this
workshop could indeed be a more substantiated agenda for more focused
future research in DINRG.

Workshop Submissions
--------------------

This is the input that was submitted before the workshop. Thanks to all
contributors!

1.  [Measuring Web Centralization, Trinh Viet
     Doan](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-measuring-web-centralization-trinh-viet-doan-00)
2.  [Centralization is about Control, not Protocols, Henning
     Schulzrinne](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-centralization-is-about-control-not-protocols-henning-schulzrinne-00)
3.  [Protocol and Engineering Effects of Consolidation, Dominique
     Lazanski](https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lazanski-consolidation/)
4.  [Centrality in the Internet, Geoff
     Huston](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-centrality-in-the-internet-geoff-huston-00)
5.  [We are probably doomed to Internet consolidation, but we should
     still try do something., Christian
     Huitema](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-we-are-probably-doomed-christian-huitema-00)
6.  [How We Got from There to Here: Searching for the Root Cause, Lixia
     Zhang](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-searching-for-the-root-cause-lixia-zhang-00)
7.  [Mitigation Options against Centralization in DNS Resolvers, Jari
     Arkko](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-mitigation-options-against-centralization-in-dns-resolvers-jari-arkko-00)
8.  [Decentralization != Equality?, Trinh Viet
     Doan](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-decentralization-equality-trinh-viet-doan-00)
9.  [Decentralized Data Infrastructures for the New Digital Economy,
     Thomas
     Hardjono](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-decentralized-data-infrastructures-for-the-new-digital-economy-thomas-hardjono-00)
10. [Autonomy is the real goal, Phillip
     Hallam-Baker](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-autonomy-is-the-real-goal-phillip-hallam-baker-00)
11. [Focus on Standards Adoption, Charles
     Eckels](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-dinrg-01/materials/slides-interim-2021-dinrg-01-sessa-focus-on-standards-adoption-charles-eckels-00)

---

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 20:56:52 +0200

Hello,

if you are asked for an account to access the MeetEcho session, please 
try to create one at https://datatracker.ietf.org (User...) if you don't 
have an account yet.

Let us know in case there are problems.

Dirk

On 1 Jun 2021, at 22:22, Dirk Kutscher wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Din mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/din

---

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 15:07:58 +0200

Dear all,

for those of you who had to miss last week's workshop, here is the video 
recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kbSbVjb1ZU

(while we are working on minutes and a report).

Best regards,
Lixia and Dirk