Subject: [Din] CFP: Workshop on Decentralized Internet, Networks, Protocols, and Systems (DINPS) colocated with ICDCS 2022

From: Joao Leitao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:25:15 +0000

*[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this
announcement.]*

Workshop on Decentralized Internet, Networks, Protocols, and Systems (DINPS)
Co-located with IEEE ICDCS 2022, Bologna, Italy (remote-friendly)
10th-13th July 2022
https://research.protocol.ai/sites/dinps/

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission Deadline: 5 March 2022
Acceptance Notification: 5 April 2022
Camera-ready Deadline: 21st April 2022

CALL FOR PAPERS

With the emergence of the Web3.0 paradigm as well as the increasing
exploration of naturally decentralized computation paradigms as in edge
computing, decentralized systems are becoming increasingly relevant. This
field is thriving thanks to recent technological advances demonstrating the
feasibility of decentralized systems at scale. Existing approaches include
blockchain-based systems as well as systems like the InterPlanetary File
System (IPFS), a peer-to-peer, content-addressable hypermedia protocol that
seeks to connect all computing devices within a single distributed system
of files. IPFS is additionally complemented by Filecoin, a token-based
protocol that supports an incentivized, decentralized storage and delivery
network, among others. These projects are open-source and community-driven
with reference implementations in multiple languages and a global community
of millions of users.

This workshop aims to bring together researchers and practitioners in the
fields of decentralized systems, peer-to-peer networks, and edge computing.
Now is the time to leverage our expertise and discoveries in this area to
define the future of the decentralized Internet: this includes work on
underlying technologies and protocols, emerging standards, tools and
abstractions (such as the ones provided by IPFS, libp2p and Filecoin), and
also emerging applications and use-cases.

The workshop will consist of a number of different sessions and session
styles that go beyond the traditional presentation-centric workshop. We
seek to foster interaction between participants with hands-on sessions that
will give them first-hand knowledge of how to use IPFS and Filecoin and
interact with these technologies, as well as ecosystem project platforms. A
capstone competition will give attendees the chance to develop open-source
applications and win prizes.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

   - Architectural proposals for the advancement of the state of
   decentralized Internet services.
   - Decentralized and peer-to-peer protocols and applications
   - Edge computing —  with emphasis on decentralized solutions for the far
   edge and their integration with current Internet architectures
   - Design, implementation, and evaluation of decentralized, networked
   systems and CDNs
   - Socio-economic, legal, and/or regulatory aspects of
   content-addressable, permissionless, P2P networks
   - Privacy and security of decentralized storage and delivery systems
   - Applications that build on top of decentralized network storage and
   retrieval protocols
   - Measurement studies on decentralized and edge computing infrastructures
   - Improvements to the IPFS protocol stack, libp2p, or the Filecoin
   storage and (especially) retrieval protocol from a performance, privacy, or
   security perspective
   - Cross-layer optimization between network- and decentralized
   service/application-layer protocols (e.g., consensus, pubsub, etc)
   - Pubsub protocol performance and security improvements for
   decentralized, blockchain-based systems (e.g., Gossipsub)

The workshop welcomes contributions in the following forms:

   - *Work-in-progress papers* (limited to 6 pages) presenting early
   findings and visionary protocol development directions.
   - *Demos* (limited to 2 pages) showcasing a proof-of-concept prototype.
   - *Tutorials* (up to 2 pages description) which will be part of the
   hands-on session to demonstrate emerging technologies or applications to
   build and deploy decentralized systems. Tutorials are expected to last up
   to 45 min.
   - *Competition project ideas* (limited to 1 page) to be included in the
   3-week post-workshop competition.

Submission guidelines can be found at the workshop's website:
https://research.protocol.ai/sites/dinps/calls/

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

   - João Leitão, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, PT
   - Yiannis Psaras, Protocol Labs

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE (Tentative)

   - Dimitris Chatzopoulos, University College Dublin, IE
   - Thomas Hardjono, MIT, US
   - Hidehiro Kanemitsu, University of Tokyo, JP
   - Michal Krol, City University of London, UK
   - Thibault Maunier, Cloudflare, UK
   - Sonia Ben Moktar, CNRS, FR
   - Joerg Ott, TUM, DE
   - Aravindth Raman, Telefonica, ES
   - Alfonso de la Rocha, Protocol Labs
   - Lorenzo Saino, Fastly, UK
   - Nuno Santos, INESC-ID, Technical University of Lisbon, PT
   - Will Scott, Protocol Labs
   - Florian Tschorch, TUB, DE
   - Gareth Tyson, Queen Mary University of London, UK
   - Spyros Voulgaris, AUEB, GR

João Leitão
Assistant Professor @ DI - FCT/UNL
Integrated Researcher @ NOVA LINCS
[email-masked]
http://asc.di.fct.unl.pt/~jleitao
Twitter: @jcaleitao