Subject: [HTTP authentication discussion]

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:13:13 -0800 (PST)

In the spirit of "letting people know about new things", let me point out 
the activity below to the discuss@apps list.

We'll be having a dinner BoF tonight (Monday Nov 7); if you're interested 
in attending let me know.

  - RL "Bob"

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:07:54 -0700
From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
To: HTTP working group <[email-masked]>,
     CalDAV DevList <[email-masked]>,
     WebDav WG <[email-masked]>
Cc: RL 'Bob' Morgan <[email-masked]>, Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>,
     Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>, Paul B.Hill <[email-masked]>,
     Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>,
     Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Subject: HTTP authentication

Talking with various potential CalDAV deployers lately, there's a 
perceived need for better HTTP authentication mechanisms: ones which can 
deal with federated identity and single sign-on.  I've also heard people 
respond "what's the problem? Put an authentication proxy in the proxy 
path" or suggest HTTP-SASL or a number of other possible solutions to 
possible problems.

So, we probably need first to discuss whether there is a problem, and if 
so, what to do about it.  There's been a suggestion to hold a BOF in 
Vancouver (if it's not too late to plan one) to see who the interested 
parties are and start defining (or defining away) the problem.  Another 
idea is to hold a workshop at some point after we've identified the 
interested parties.

Anyway, I've started a separate discussion list for this topic-- I didn't 
want to spam the general HTTP list or make people who weren't interested 
in general HTTP issues (but only in authentication for CalDAV/WebDAV) join 
that list. Please join and chime in any time about what you perceive the 
problem or lack of problem to be or leap straight to what ought to be 
done.

http://lists.osafoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ietf-http-auth

Lisa