Subject: Apps Area Architecture Workshop announcement

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:03:07 -0800

On Feb 11 and 12, there will be an Applications Area Architecture  
workshop somewhere in the Bay Area.  We hope to nail down a venue  
once we've got a better idea of attendance.  We are going to look for  
a host, but if there are a few expenses not covered, we may ask for a  
few 100$ attendance fee.  If we need to charge a small fee we'll ask  
in advance of the actual meeting.

Position papers are required of all attendees by Dec 14.  These  
should be a few pages of text on some topic related to Applications  
area architectural issues.  Since the group of attendees is expected  
to span HTTP and AtomPub, email, IM, calendaring, directories and  
more, issues should be of interest to more than one of these groups.   
Some existing Applications architecture "modules" that already are  
reused  include SASL, URLs, MIME types, XML and XML schemas and  
namespaces, HTTP as a substrate, TLS, ABNF, BEEP.

A position paper could describe a problem or make a proposal to solve  
a problem.  The paper could be a prelude to an I-D of any kind or to  
a WG charter, or might simply educate and persuade.  An ideal  
position paper would seed new work or make progress towards solving a  
problem that would benefit Apps protocol designers, implementors or  
users.

Participants may send position papers directly to Lisa and Chris,  
although you can send position papers directly to the Apps Discuss  
list (we'll be circulating the papers publicly anyway).

Since the due date for papers is Dec 14, if you'd like to flesh out  
an idea, the Vancouver IETF meeting might be a handy place to grab  
people and do so.

In advance of Dec 14, we'd still appreciate early RSVPs.

Lisa