Subject: File metadata format draft

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:58:50 +0200

Hi:

I have submitted a draft that defines an XML schema for describing files
and associated metadata. I am referring to this draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-app-area-file-data-format-00.txt

The background of this draft is as follows: We first submitted a SIP
event package for subscribing to changes in files stored in a remote
endpoint. The idea is to use SIP to emulate the "shared folder"
functionality that is available in common instant messaging and presence
clients. A part of the overall function is a format for describing files
and associated metadata.

At the last IETF meeting, I got a few comments indicating that the data
format could be reused by other protocols, namely HTTP, and thus, it
should be split out from the draft and discussed in the Apss area. So
this is what I am doing.

So, the authors would like to get comments and questions about the document.

Yours,

        Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Espoo, Finland

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:09:11 -0500

Hi Miguel,

> So, the authors would like to get comments and questions about the

Had a quick look. In the HTTP world, meta-data about files is already 
covered by WebDAV properties. So the question I have is what, if any, 
thought has been given to integration with WebDAV. e.g. a lot of elements 
in your schema have exact equivalents in WebDAV. It might be useful, at a 
minimum, to define a mapping between your schema and what WebDAV provides.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:16:56 +0200

At the moment the integration with the WebDAV properties is not done. I 
believe this is a topic for discussion. I have here more questions than 
answers. For example:

Do we want to propose a single data format for describing file metadata? 
The WebDAV properties is already standardized and deployed, whereas the 
file-data-format draft is not. However, the requirements of both 
applications are not totally the same. For example, the file data format 
does not care about the creator, but needs to signal different endpoints 
(instances) that host the same file.

Or can we integrate the WebDAV properties into the file data format? 
This will effectively create a superset of the WebDAV properties, bt I 
am not sure it will have a footprint on the implementations, due to the 
advance state of deployment of WebDAV.

Or do we want to continue with two separate paths, perhaps with this 
mapping that you mentioned?

BR,

   Miguel

Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> thought has been given to integration with WebDAV. e.g. a lot of 
> elements in your schema have exact equivalents in WebDAV. It might be 
> useful, at a minimum, to define a mapping between your schema and what 
> WebDAV provides.
>