Subject: fyi: Technical Comparison: OpenID and SAML (Draft 05)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:58:06 -0800

Of possible interest...

(Draft) Technical Comparison: OpenID and SAML
<http://identitymeme.org/archives/2007/12/17/draft-technical-comparison-openid-
and-saml/>

Technical Comparison: OpenID and SAML - Draft 05
http://identitymeme.org/doc/draft-hodges-saml-openid-compare-05.html

Abstract

This document presents a technical comparison of the OpenID Authentication
protocol and the Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) Web Browser SSO
Profile and the SAML framework itself. Topics addressed include design centers,
terminology, specification set contents and scope, user identifier treatment,
web single sign-on profiles, trust, security, identity provider discovery
mechanisms, key agreement approaches, as well as message formats and protocol
bindings. An executive summary targeting various audiences, and presented from
the perspectives of end-users, implementors, tna deployers, is provided. We do
not attempt to assign relative value between OpenID and SAML, e.g. which is
"better"; rather, it attempts to present an objective technical comparison.

=JeffH