Subject: draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-10.txt

From: Ram Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:49:56 -0800 (PST)

Please post the attached document "draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-10.txt"
as an internet draft.

Than you,

Ram Kavasseri

Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

                               Event MIB

                             6 January 2000

                   draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-10.txt

                              Bob Stewart
                          Cisco Systems, Inc.

                        Ramanathan R. Kavasseri
                          Cisco Systems, Inc.

                          Status of this Memo

This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with all
provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that other groups
may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference material
or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

Distribution of this document is unlimited. Please send comments to the
Distributed Management Working Group, <[email-masked]>.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000).  All Rights Reserved.

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 1]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

1.  Abstract

This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
community.  In particular, it describes managed objects that can be used
to manage and monitor MIB objects and take action through events.

The Event MIB provides the ability to monitor MIB objects on the local
system or on a remote system and take simple action when a trigger
condition is met.

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

2.  The SNMP Management Framework

   The SNMP Management Framework presently consists of five major
   components:

    o   An overall architecture, described in RFC 2571 [RFC2571].

    o   Mechanisms for describing and naming objects and events for the
        purpose of management. The first version of this Structure of
        Management Information (SMI) is called SMIv1 and described in
        STD 16, RFC 1155 [RFC1155], STD 16, RFC 1212 [RFC1212] and RFC
        1215 [RFC1215]. The second version, called SMIv2, is described
        in STD 58, RFC 2578 [RFC2578], RFC 2579 [RFC2579] and RFC 2580
        [RFC2580].

    o   Message protocols for transferring management information. The
        first version of the SNMP message protocol is called SNMPv1 and
        described in STD 15, RFC 1157 [RFC1157]. A second version of the
        SNMP message protocol, which is not an Internet standards track
        protocol, is called SNMPv2c and described in RFC 1901 [RFC1901]
        and RFC 1906 [RFC1906]. The third version of the message
        protocol is called SNMPv3 and described in RFC 1906 [RFC1906],
        RFC 2572 [RFC2572] and RFC 2574 [RFC2574].

    o   Protocol operations for accessing management information. The
        first set of protocol operations and associated PDU formats is
        described in STD 15, RFC 1157 [RFC1157]. A second set of
        protocol operations and associated PDU formats is described in

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 2]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        RFC 1905 [RFC1905].

    o   A set of fundamental applications described in RFC 2573
        [RFC2573] and the view-based access control mechanism described
        in RFC 2575 [RFC2575].

   A more detailed introduction to the current SNMP Management Framework
   can be found in RFC 2570 [RFC2570].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the mechanisms defined in the SMI.

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2. A
   MIB conforming to the SMIv1 can be produced through the appropriate
   translations. The resulting translated MIB must be semantically
   equivalent, except where objects or events are omitted because no
   translation is possible (use of Counter64). Some machine readable
   information in SMIv2 will be converted into textual descriptions in
   SMIv1 during the translation process. However, this loss of machine
   readable information is not considered to change the semantics of the
   MIB. It may not be possible to meaningfully monitor Counter64 objects
   using an SMIv1 version of the MIB.

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 3]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

3.  Overview

With network sizes well beyond the ability of people to manage them
directly, automated, distributed management is vital.  An important
aspect of such management is the ability of a system to monitor itself
or for some other system to monitor it.

The Event MIB provides the ability to monitor MIB objects on the local
system or on a remote system and take simple action when a trigger
condition is met.

The MIB is intended to suit either a relatively powerful manager or mid-
level manager, as well as a somewhat more limited self-managing system.

4.  Relationship to Other MIBs

The Event MIB is based on extensive experience with the RMON MIB
[RFC1757] and provides a superset of the capabilities of the RMON alarm
and event groups.  Conceptually, the key extension is the ability to
allow alarms to be generated for MIB objects that are on another network
element. The Event MIB calls "triggers" what the RMON MIB called
"alarms," but the concepts are the same.  Event MIB triggers maintain
the RMON handling of thresholds and add the concept of booleans.  Event
MIB events maintain the RMON concept of sending an SNMP notification in
response to a trigger and add the concept of setting a MIB object.

The Event MIB is the successor and update to SNMPv2's Manager-to-Manager
MIB [RFC1451] which was declared Historic pending this work.

The Event MIB depends on the services of the SNMPv3 Management Target
and Notification MIBs [RFC2573].

The Event MIB is nicely complemented by the Distributed Management
Expression MIB [RFCExpressionMIB], which is the expected source of
boolean objects to monitor.  Note that there is considerable overlap
between the wildcard and delta sample capabilities of the Event and
Expression MIBs.  A carefully-planned implementation might well use
common code to provide the overlapping functions.

5.  MIB Sections

The MIB has four sections: triggers, objects, events, and notifications.
Triggers define the conditions that lead to events.  Events may cause

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 4]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

notifications.

The trigger table lists what objects are to be monitored and how and
relates each trigger to an event.  It has supplementary, companion
tables for additional objects that depend on the type of test done for
the trigger.

The objects table lists objects that can be added to notifications based
on the trigger, the trigger test type, or the event that resulted in the
notification.

The event table defines what happens when an event is triggered: sending
a notification, setting a MIB object or both.  It has supplementary,
companion tables for additional objects that depend on the action taken.

The notification section defines a set of generic notifications to go
with the events and for Event MIB error handling, and it defines a set
of objects to put in those notifications.

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 5]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

The following diagram describes the relationships between the tables
in the Event MIB.

+--------------------------------+
| mteTriggerEntry                |      subclassed by:
|     { mteOwner,                |---+
|       IMPLIED mteTriggerName } |   +-- mteTriggerDeltaEntry
|                                |   |
|                                |   +-- mteTriggerExistenceEntry
|                                |   |
|                                |   +-- mteTriggerBooleanEntry
|                                |   |
|                                |   +-- mteTriggerThresholdEntry
|                                |
|                                |
|                                |
|                                |
|             mteTrigger*Event ----------------------------->+
|                                |                           |
|             mteTriggerObjects --------------->+            |
|                                |              |            |
+--------------------------------+              |            |
                                                |            |
                                                V            |
  +<--------------------------------------------+            |
  |                                                          |
  V                                                          |
+--------------------------------+                           |
|                                |                           |
| mteObjectsEntry                |                           |
|     { mteOwner,                |                           |
|       mteObjectsName,          |                           |
|       mteObjectsIndex }        |                           |
|                                |                           |
+--------------------------------+                           |
                                                             |
                                                             V
  +<---------------------------------------------------------+
  |
  V
+---------------------------------+
|                                 |
| mteEventEntry                   |
|     { mteOwner,                 |

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 6]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

|       IMPLIED mteEventName }    |
|                                 |
|               mteEventAction - - - - - - > + (condition)
|                                 |          |
+---------------------------------+          |
                                             |
   + < - - - + < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
   |         |
   |         |
   |         |
   |         V
   |      +---------------------------------+
   |      |                                 |
   |      | mteEventNotificationEntry       |
   |      |     { mteOwner,                 |
   |      |       IMPLIED mteEventName }    |
   |      |                                 |
   |      +---------------------------------+
   |
   |
   |
   V
+---------------------------------+
|                                 |
| mteEventSetEntry                |
|     { mteOwner,                 |
|       IMPLIED mteEventName }    |
|                                 |
+---------------------------------+

6.  Operation

The Event MIB is instrumentation for a distributed management
application that monitors MIB objects.  In its simplest form this
application monitors individual, local MIB objects, just as an RMON
probe fulfills the functions implied by RMON's alarm and event
operation.  Additionally the application can monitor remote objects and
wildcarded groups of objects.

Remote monitoring uses the tag service of the Management Target MIB
[RFC2573] to select and access remote systems as an ordinary SNMP-based
management application.  Local monitoring may be via a more intimate,
local interface which may, for example, bypass SNMP encoding but

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 7]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

otherwise is functionally identical to remote SNMP operation, including
the application of access control.  A self-management only system MAY
not implement remote monitoring.

Wildcards indicate that the application SHOULD use a GetNext-type
operation to find the zero or more instances implied by a truncated
object identifier, just like an ordinary SNMP-based management
application.  Each instance of a wildcard is treated as if it were a
separate entry, that is the instances of a wildcarded object are
independent of one another.  For example, a wild-carded object may
trigger an event, and result in the setting of another wildcarded
object.  The instance that satisfied the trigger function is used to
perform the set function.  All of this takes place independently of any
additional instances that may fill the wildcard.

Error handling is by notification.  These error notifications SHOULD be
enabled only for the diagnosis of problems indicated by error counters.
If minimizing the probability of notification loss is a concern they
SHOULD be transmitted as Inform PDUs as described in the [SNMP-TARGET-
MIB] or directed to a log as described in the Notification Log MIB
[rfcNotificationLogMIB]. Note that this does not mean the Notification
Log MIB is REQUIRED, since in fact notifications usually are not lost,
but that the Notification Log MIB can be helpful with this as well as
other MIBs that include notifications.

Although like most MIBs this one has no explicit controls for the
persistence of the values set in configuring events, a robust, polite
implementation would certainly not force its managing applications to
reconfigure it whenever it resets.

Again, as with most MIBs, it is implementation-specific how a system
provides and manages such persistence.  To speculate, one could imagine,
for example, that persistence depended on the context in which the
expression was configured, or perhaps system-specific characteristics of
the expression's owner.  Or perhaps everything in a MIB such as this
one, which is clearly aimed at persistent configuration, is
automatically part of a system's other persistent configuration.

7.  Security

Security of Event MIB entries depends on SNMPv3 access control for the
entire MIB or for subsets based on entry owner names.

Security of monitored objects for remote access depends on the

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 8]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

Management Target MIB [RFC2573].  Security for local access can depend
on the Management Target MIB or on recording appropriate security
credentials of the creator of an entry and using those to access the
local objects.  These security credentials are the parameters necessary
as inputs to isAccessAllowed from the Architecture for Describing SNMP
Management Frameworks.  When accessing local objects without using a
local target tag, the system MUST (conceptually) use isAccessAllowed to
ensure that it does not violate security.

To facilitate the provisioning of access control by a security
administrator for this MIB itself using the View-Based Access Control
Model (VACM) defined in RFC 2275 [RFC2575] for tables in which multiple
users may need to independently create or modify entries, the initial
index is used as an "owner index". Such an initial index has a syntax of
SnmpAdminString, and can thus be trivially mapped to a securityName or
groupName as defined in VACM, in accordance with a security policy.

All entries in related tables belonging to a particular user will have
the same value for this initial index.  For a given user's entries in a
particular table, the object identifiers for the information in these
entries will have the same sub-identifiers (except for the "column" sub-
identifier) up to the end of the encoded owner index. To configure VACM
to permit access to this portion of the table, one would create
vacmViewTreeFamilyTable entries with the value of
vacmViewTreeFamilySubtree including the owner index portion, and
vacmViewTreeFamilyMask "wildcarding" the column sub-identifier.  More
elaborate configurations are possible.

Expires 6 July 2000                                             [Page 9]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

8.  Definitions

DISMAN-EVENT-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS
    MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE,
    Integer32, Unsigned32,
    NOTIFICATION-TYPE, Counter32,
    Gauge32, mib-2, zeroDotZero         FROM SNMPv2-SMI
    TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, RowStatus,
    TruthValue                FROM SNMPv2-TC
    MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP,
    NOTIFICATION-GROUP             FROM SNMPv2-CONF
    sysUpTime                 FROM SNMPv2-MIB
    SnmpTagValue              FROM SNMP-TARGET-MIB
    SnmpAdminString           FROM SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB;

dismanEventMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
    LAST-UPDATED "200001060000Z"            -- 6 January 2000
    ORGANIZATION "IETF Distributed Management Working Group"
    CONTACT-INFO "Ramanathan Kavasseri
                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
                  170 West Tasman Drive,
                  San Jose CA 95134-1706.
                  Phone: +1 408 526 4527
                  Email: [email-masked]"
    DESCRIPTION
     "The MIB module for defining event triggers and actions
     for network management purposes."
-- Revision History

       REVISION     "200001060000Z"            -- 6 January 2000
       DESCRIPTION  "This is the initial version of this MIB.
               Published as RFC xxxxx"
    ::= { mib-2 xx } - final assignment by IANA at publication time

dismanEventMIBObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIB 1 }

-- Management Triggered Event (MTE) objects

mteResource           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIBObjects 1 }
mteTrigger            OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIBObjects 2 }
mteObjects            OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIBObjects 3 }
mteEvent              OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIBObjects 4 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 10]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

--
-- Textual Conventions
--

FailureReason ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Reasons for failures in an attempt to perform a management
        request.

        The first group of errors, numbered less than 0, are related
        to problems in sending the request.  The existence of a
        particular error code here does not imply that all
        implementations are capable of sensing that error and
        returning that code.

        The second group, numbered greater than 0, are copied
        directly from SNMP protocol operations and are intended to
        carry exactly the meanings defined for the protocol as returned
        in an SNMP response.

        localResourceLack       some local resource such as memory lacking
                                or mteResourceSampleInstanceMaximum
                                exceeded
        badDestination          unrecognized domain name or otherwise
                                invalid destination address
        destinationUnreachable  can't get to destination address
        noResponse              no response to SNMP request
        badType                 the data syntax of a retrieved object
                                as not as expected
        sampleOverrun           another sample attempt occurred before
                                the previous one completed"

    SYNTAX      INTEGER { localResourceLack(-1),
                          badDestination(-2),
                          destinationUnreachable(-3),
                          noResponse(-4),
                          badType(-5),
                          sampleOverrun(-6),

                          noError(0),

                          tooBig(1),
                          noSuchName(2),
                          badValue(3),

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 11]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

                          readOnly(4),
                          genErr(5),
                          noAccess(6),
                          wrongType(7),
                          wrongLength(8),
                          wrongEncoding(9),
                          wrongValue(10),
                          noCreation(11),
                          inconsistentValue(12),
                          resourceUnavailable(13),
                          commitFailed(14),
                          undoFailed(15),
                          authorizationError(16),
                          notWritable(17),
                          inconsistentName(18) }
--
-- Resource Control Section
--

mteResourceSampleMinimum OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)
    UNITS       "seconds"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The minimum mteTriggerFrequency this system will
        accept.  A system may use the larger values of this minimum to
        lessen the impact of constant sampling.  For larger
        sampling intervals the system samples less often and
        suffers less overhead.  This object provides a way to enforce
        such lower overhead for all triggers created after it is
        set.

        Unless explicitly resource limited, a system's value for
        this object SHOULD be 1, allowing as small as a 1 second
        interval for ongoing trigger sampling.

        Changing this value will not invalidate an existing setting
        of mteTriggerFrequency."
    ::= { mteResource 1 }

mteResourceSampleInstanceMaximum OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32
    UNITS       "instances"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 12]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The maximum number of instance entries this system will
        support for sampling.

        These are the entries that maintain state, one for each
        instance of each sampled object as selected by
        mteTriggerValueID.  Note that wildcarded objects result
        in multiple instances of this state.

        A value of 0 indicates no preset limit, that is, the limit
        is dynamic based on system operation and resources.

        Unless explicitly resource limited, a system's value for
        this object SHOULD be 0.

        Changing this value will not eliminate or inhibit existing
        sample state but could prevent allocation of additional state
        information."
    ::= { mteResource 2 }

mteResourceSampleInstances OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Gauge32
    UNITS       "instances"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The number of currently active instance entries as
        defined for mteResourceSampleInstanceMaximum."
    ::= { mteResource 3 }

mteResourceSampleInstancesHigh OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Gauge32
    UNITS       "instances"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The highest value of mteResourceSampleInstances that has
        occurred since initialization of the management system."
    ::= { mteResource 4 }

mteResourceSampleInstanceLacks OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    UNITS       "instances"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 13]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The number of times this system could not take a new sample
        because that allocation would have exceeded the limit set by
        mteResourceSampleInstanceMaximum."
    ::= { mteResource 5 }

--
-- Trigger Section
--

-- Counters

mteTriggerFailures OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    UNITS       "failures"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The number of times an attempt to check for a trigger
        condition has failed.  This counts individually for each
        attempt in a group of targets or each attempt for a
        wildcarded object."
    ::= { mteTrigger 1 }

--
-- Trigger Table
--

mteTriggerTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteTriggerEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of management event trigger information."
    ::= { mteTrigger 2 }

mteTriggerEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteTriggerEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Information about a single trigger.  Applications create and

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 14]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        delete entries using mteTriggerEntryStatus."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteTriggerName }
    ::= { mteTriggerTable 1 }

MteTriggerEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteOwner                            SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerName                      SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerComment                   SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerTest                      BITS,
    mteTriggerSampleType                INTEGER,
    mteTriggerValueID                   OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
    mteTriggerValueIDWildcard           TruthValue,
    mteTriggerTargetTag                 SnmpTagValue,
    mteTriggerContextName               SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerContextNameWildcard       TruthValue,
    mteTriggerFrequency                 Unsigned32,
    mteTriggerObjectsOwner              SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerObjects                   SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerEnabled                   TruthValue,
    mteTriggerEntryStatus               RowStatus
}

mteOwner OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE(0..32))
   MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
        "The owner of this entry. The exact semantics of this
        string are subject to the security policy defined by the
        security administrator."
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 1 }

mteTriggerName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (1..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A locally-unique, administratively assigned name for the
        trigger within the scope of mteOwner."
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 2 }

mteTriggerComment OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 15]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    DESCRIPTION
        "A description of the trigger's function and use."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 3 }

mteTriggerTest OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      BITS { existence(0), boolean(1), threshold(2) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type of trigger test to perform.  For 'boolean' and
        'threshold'  tests, the object at mteTriggerValueID MUST
        evaluate to an integer, that is, anything that ends up encoded
        for transmission (that is, in BER, not ASN.1) as an integer.

        For 'existence', the specific test is as selected by
        mteTriggerExistenceTest.  When an object appears, vanishes
        or changes value, the trigger fires. If the object's
        appearance caused the trigger firing, the object MUST
        vanish before the trigger can be fired again for it, and
        vice versa. If the trigger fired due to a change in the
        object's value, it will be fired again on every successive
        value change for that object.

        For 'boolean', the specific test is as selected by
        mteTriggerBooleanTest.  If the test result is true the trigger
        fires.  The trigger will not fire again until the value has
        become false and come back to true.

        For 'threshold' the test works as described below for
        mteTriggerThresholdStartup, mteTriggerThresholdRising, and
        mteTriggerThresholdFalling.

        Note that combining 'boolean' and 'threshold' tests on the
        same object may be somewhat redundant."
    DEFVAL { boolean }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 4 }

mteTriggerSampleType OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER { absoluteValue(1), deltaValue(2) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type of sampling to perform.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 16]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        An 'absoluteValue' sample requires only a single sample to be
        meaningful, and is exactly the value of the object at
        mteTriggerValueID at the sample time.

        A 'deltaValue' requires two samples to be meaningful and is
        thus not available for testing until the second and subsequent
        samples after the object at mteTriggerValueID is first found
        to exist.  It is the difference between the two samples.  For
        unsigned values it is always positive, based on unsigned
        arithmetic.  For signed values it can be positive or negative.

        For SNMP counters to be meaningful they MUST be sampled as a
        'deltaValue'.

        For 'deltaValue' mteTriggerDeltaTable contains further
        parameters.

        If only 'existence' is set in mteTriggerTest this object has
        no meaning."
    DEFVAL { absoluteValue }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 5 }

mteTriggerValueID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The object identifier of the MIB object to sample to see
        if the trigger should fire.

        This may be wildcarded by truncating all or part of the
        instance portion, in which case the value is obtained
        as if with a GetNext function, checking multiple values
        if they exist.  If such wildcarding is applied,
        mteTriggerValueIDWildcard must be 'true' and if not it must
        be 'false'.

        Bad object identifiers or a mismatch between truncating the
        identifier and the value of mteTriggerValueIDWildcard result
        in operation as one would expect when providing the wrong
        identifier to a Get or GetNext operation.  The Get will fail
        or get the wrong object.  The GetNext will indeed get whatever
        is next, proceeding until it runs past the initial part of the
        identifier and perhaps many unintended objects for confusing
        results.  If the value syntax of those objects is not usable,

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 17]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        that results in a 'badType' error that terminates the scan.

        Each instance that fills the wildcard is independent of any
        additional instances, that is, wildcarded objects operate
        as if there were a separate table entry for each instance
        that fills the wildcard without having to actually predict
        all possible instances ahead of time."
    DEFVAL { zeroDotZero }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 6 }

mteTriggerValueIDWildcard OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Control for whether mteTriggerValueID is to be treated as
        fully-specified or wildcarded, with 'true' indicating wildcard."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 7 }

mteTriggerTargetTag OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpTagValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The tag for the target(s) from which to obtain the condition
        for a trigger check.

        A length of 0 indicates the local system.  In this case,
        access to the objects indicated by mteTriggerValueID is under
        the security credentials of the requester that set
        mteTriggerEntryStatus to 'active'.  Those credentials are the
        input parameters for isAccessAllowed from the Architecture for
        Describing SNMP Management Frameworks.

        Otherwise access rights are checked according to the security
        parameters resulting from the tag."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 8 }

mteTriggerContextName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 18]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        "The management context from which to obtain mteTriggerValueID.

        This may be wildcarded by leaving characters off the end.  For
        example use 'Repeater' to wildcard to 'Repeater1',
        'Repeater2', 'Repeater-999.87b', and so on.  To indicate such
        wildcarding is intended, mteTriggerContextNameWildcard must
        be 'true'.

        Each instance that fills the wildcard is independent of any
        additional instances, that is, wildcarded objects operate
        as if there were a separate table entry for each instance
        that fills the wildcard without having to actually predict
        all possible instances ahead of time.

        Operation of this feature assumes that the local system has a
        list of available contexts against which to apply the
        wildcard.  If the objects are being read from the local
        system, this is clearly the system's own list of contexts.
        For a remote system a local version of such a list is not
        defined by any current standard and may not be available, so
        this function MAY not be supported."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 9 }

mteTriggerContextNameWildcard OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Control for whether mteTriggerContextName is to be treated as
        fully-specified or wildcarded, with 'true' indicating wildcard."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 10 }

mteTriggerFrequency OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32
    UNITS       "seconds"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The number of seconds to wait between trigger samples.  To
        encourage consistency in sampling, the interval is measured
        from the beginning of one check to the beginning of the next
        and the timer is restarted immediately when it expires, not
        when the check completes.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 19]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        If the next sample begins before the previous one completed the
        system may either attempt to make the check or treat this as an
        error condition with the error 'sampleOverrun'.

        A frequency of 0 indicates instantaneous recognition of the
        condition.  This is not possible in many cases, but may
        be supported in cases where it makes sense and the system is
        able to do so.  This feature allows the MIB to be used in
        implementations where such interrupt-driven behavior is
        possible and is not likely to be supported for all MIB objects
        even then since such sampling generally has to be tightly
        integrated into low-level code.

        Systems that can support this SHOULD document those cases
        where it can be used.  In cases where it can not, setting this
        object to 0 should be disallowed."
    DEFVAL { 600 }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 11 }

mteTriggerObjectsOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerObjects, the mteOwner of a group of
        objects from mteObjectsTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 12 }

mteTriggerObjects OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteObjectsName of a group of objects from
        mteObjectsTable.  These objects are to be added to any
        Notification resulting from the firing of this trigger.

        A list of objects may also be added based on the event or on
        the value of mteTriggerTest.

        A length of 0 indicates no additional objects."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 13 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 20]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

mteTriggerEnabled OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A control to allow a trigger to be configured but not used.
        When the value is 'false' the trigger is not sampled."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 14 }

mteTriggerEntryStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowStatus
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The control that allows creation and deletion of entries.
        Once made active an entry may not be modified except to
        delete it."
    ::= { mteTriggerEntry 15 }

--
-- Trigger Delta Table
--

mteTriggerDeltaTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteTriggerDeltaEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of management event trigger information for delta
        sampling."
    ::= { mteTrigger 3 }

mteTriggerDeltaEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteTriggerDeltaEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Information about a single trigger's delta sampling.  Entries
        automatically exist in this this table for each mteTriggerEntry
        that has mteTriggerSampleType set to 'deltaValue'."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteTriggerName }
    ::= { mteTriggerDeltaTable 1 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 21]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

MteTriggerDeltaEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityID                OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
    mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityIDWildcard        TruthValue,
    mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityIDType            INTEGER
}

sysUpTimeInstance OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { sysUpTime 0 }

mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The OBJECT IDENTIFIER (OID) of a TimeTicks, TimeStamp, or
        DateAndTime object that indicates a discontinuity in the value
        at mteTriggerValueID.

        The OID may be for a leaf object (e.g. sysUpTime.0) or may
        be wildcarded to match mteTriggerValueID.

        This object supports normal checking for a discontinuity in a
        counter.  Note that if this object does not point to sysUpTime
        discontinuity checking MUST still check sysUpTime for an overall
        discontinuity.

        If the object identified is not accessible the sample attempt
        is in error, with the error code as from an SNMP request.

        Bad object identifiers or a mismatch between truncating the
        identifier and the value of mteDeltaDiscontinuityIDWildcard
        result in operation as one would expect when providing the
        wrong identifier to a Get operation.  The Get will fail or get
        the wrong object.  If the value syntax of those objects is not
        usable, that results in an error that terminates the sample
        with a 'badType' error code."
    DEFVAL { sysUpTimeInstance }
    ::= { mteTriggerDeltaEntry 1 }

mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityIDWildcard OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      TruthValue
     MAX-ACCESS  read-write
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION
        "Control for whether mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityID is to be

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 22]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        treated as fully-specified or wildcarded, with 'true'
        indicating wildcard. Note that the value of this object will
        be the same as that of the corresponding instance of
        mteTriggerValueIDWildcard when the corresponding
        mteTriggerSampleType is 'deltaValue'."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteTriggerDeltaEntry 2 }

mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityIDType OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER { timeTicks(1), timeStamp(2), dateAndTime(3) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The value 'timeTicks' indicates the
        mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityID of this row is of syntax
        TimeTicks.  The value 'timeStamp' indicates syntax TimeStamp.
        The value 'dateAndTime' indicates syntax DateAndTime."
    DEFVAL { timeTicks }
    ::= { mteTriggerDeltaEntry 3 }

--
-- Trigger Existence Table
--

mteTriggerExistenceTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteTriggerExistenceEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of management event trigger information for existence
        triggers."
    ::= { mteTrigger 4 }

mteTriggerExistenceEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteTriggerExistenceEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Information about a single existence trigger.  Entries
        automatically exist in this this table for each mteTriggerEntry
        that has 'existence' set in mteTriggerTest."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteTriggerName }
    ::= { mteTriggerExistenceTable 1 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 23]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

MteTriggerExistenceEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteTriggerExistenceTest              BITS,
    mteTriggerExistenceStartup           BITS,
    mteTriggerExistenceObjectsOwner      SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerExistenceObjects           SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerExistenceEventOwner        SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerExistenceEvent             SnmpAdminString
}

mteTriggerExistenceTest OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      BITS { present(0), absent(1), changed(2) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type of existence test to perform.  The trigger fires
        when the object at mteTriggerValueID is seen to go from
        present to absent, from absent to present, or to have it's
        value changed, depending on which tests are selected:

        present(0) - when this test is selected, the trigger fires
        when the mteTriggerValueID object goes from absent to present.

        absent(1)  - when this test is selected, the trigger fires
        when the mteTriggerValueID object goes from present to absent.
        changed(2) - when this test is selected, the trigger fires
        the mteTriggerValueID object value changes.

        Once the trigger has fired for either presence or absence it
        will not fire again for that state until the object has been
        to the other state. "
    DEFVAL { { present, absent } }
    ::= { mteTriggerExistenceEntry 1 }

mteTriggerExistenceStartup OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      BITS { present(0), absent(1) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Control for whether an event may be triggered when this entry
        is first set to 'active' and the test specified by
        mteTriggerExistenceTest is true.  Setting an option causes
        that trigger to fire when its test is true."
    DEFVAL { { present, absent } }
    ::= { mteTriggerExistenceEntry 2 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 24]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

mteTriggerExistenceObjectsOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerExistenceObjects, the mteOwner of a
        group of objects from mteObjectsTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerExistenceEntry 3 }

mteTriggerExistenceObjects OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteObjectsName of a group of objects from
        mteObjectsTable.  These objects are to be added to any
        Notification resulting from the firing of this trigger for
        this test.

        A list of objects may also be added based on the overall
        trigger, the event or other settings in mteTriggerTest.

        A length of 0 indicates no additional objects."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerExistenceEntry 4 }

mteTriggerExistenceEventOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerExistenceEvent, the mteOwner of an event
        entry from the mteEventTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerExistenceEntry 5 }

mteTriggerExistenceEvent OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteEventName of the event to invoke when mteTriggerType is
        'existence' and this trigger fires.  A length of 0 indicates no
        event."

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 25]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerExistenceEntry 6 }

--
-- Trigger Boolean Table
--

mteTriggerBooleanTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteTriggerBooleanEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of management event trigger information for boolean
        triggers."
    ::= { mteTrigger 5 }

mteTriggerBooleanEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteTriggerBooleanEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Information about a single boolean trigger.  Entries
        automatically exist in this this table for each mteTriggerEntry
        that has 'boolean' set in mteTriggerTest."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteTriggerName }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanTable 1 }

MteTriggerBooleanEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteTriggerBooleanComparison          INTEGER,
    mteTriggerBooleanValue               Integer32,
    mteTriggerBooleanStartup             TruthValue,
    mteTriggerBooleanObjectsOwner        SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerBooleanObjects             SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerBooleanEventOwner          SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerBooleanEvent               SnmpAdminString
}

mteTriggerBooleanComparison OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER { unequal(1), equal(2),
                 less(3), lessOrEqual(4),
                 greater(5), greaterOrEqual(6) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 26]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        "The type of boolean comparison to perform.

        The value at mteTriggerValueID is compared to
        mteTriggerBooleanValue, so for example if
        mteTriggerBooleanComparison is 'less' the result would be true
        if the value at mteTriggerValueID is less than the value of
        mteTriggerBooleanValue."
    DEFVAL { unequal }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanEntry 1 }

mteTriggerBooleanValue OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The value to use for the test specified by
        mteTriggerBooleanTest."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanEntry 2 }

mteTriggerBooleanStartup OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Control for whether an event may be triggered when this entry
        is first set to 'active' or a new instance of the object at
        mteTriggerValueID is found and the test specified by
        mteTriggerBooleanComparison is true.  In that case an event is
        triggered if mteTriggerBooleanStartup is 'true'."
    DEFVAL { true }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanEntry 3 }

mteTriggerBooleanObjectsOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerBooleanObjects, the mteOwner of a group
        of objects from mteObjectsTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanEntry 4 }

mteTriggerBooleanObjects OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 27]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteObjectsName of a group of objects from
        mteObjectsTable.  These objects are to be added to any
        Notification resulting from the firing of this trigger for
        this test.

        A list of objects may also be added based on the overall
        trigger, the event or other settings in mteTriggerTest.

        A length of 0 indicates no additional objects."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanEntry 5 }

mteTriggerBooleanEventOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerBooleanEvent, the mteOwner of an event
        entry from mteEventTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanEntry 6 }

mteTriggerBooleanEvent OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteEventName of the event to invoke when mteTriggerType is
        'boolean' and this trigger fires.  A length of 0 indicates no
        event."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerBooleanEntry 7 }

--
-- Trigger Threshold Table
--

mteTriggerThresholdTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteTriggerThresholdEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 28]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of management event trigger information for threshold
        triggers."
    ::= { mteTrigger 6 }

mteTriggerThresholdEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteTriggerThresholdEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Information about a single threshold trigger.  Entries
        automatically exist in this table for each mteTriggerEntry
        that has 'threshold' set in mteTriggerTest."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteTriggerName }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdTable 1 }

MteTriggerThresholdEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteTriggerThresholdStartup                  INTEGER,
    mteTriggerThresholdRising                   Integer32,
    mteTriggerThresholdFalling                  Integer32,
    mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRising              Integer32,
    mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFalling             Integer32,
    mteTriggerThresholdObjectsOwner             SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdObjects                  SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdRisingEventOwner         SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdRisingEvent              SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdFallingEventOwner        SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdFallingEvent             SnmpAdminString
    mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEventOwner    SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEvent         SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEventOwner   SnmpAdminString,
    mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEvent        SnmpAdminString
}

mteTriggerThresholdStartup OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER { rising(1), falling(2), risingOrFalling(3) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The event that may be triggered when this entry is first
        set to 'active' and a new instance of the object at
        mteTriggerValueID is found.  If the first sample after this
        instance becomes active is greater than or equal to
        mteTriggerThresholdRising and mteTriggerThresholdStartup is
        equal to 'rising' or 'risingOrFalling', then one

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 29]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        mteTriggerThresholdRisingEvent is triggered for that instance.
        If the first sample after this entry becomes active is less
        than or equal to mteTriggerThresholdFalling and
        mteTriggerThresholdStartup is equal to 'falling' or
        'risingOrFalling', then one mteTriggerThresholdRisingEvent is
        triggered for that instance."
    DEFVAL { risingOrFalling }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 1 }

mteTriggerThresholdRising OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A threshold value to check against if mteTriggerType is
        'threshold'.

        When the current sampled value is greater than or equal to
        this threshold, and the value at the last sampling interval
        was less than this threshold, one
        mteTriggerThresholdRisingEvent is triggered.  That event is
        also triggered if the first sample after this entry becomes
        active is greater than or equal to this threshold and
        mteTriggerThresholdStartup is equal to 'rising' or
        'risingOrFalling'.

        After a rising event is generated, another such event is not
        triggered until the sampled value falls below this threshold
        and reaches mteTriggerThresholdFalling."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 2 }

mteTriggerThresholdFalling OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A threshold value to check against if mteTriggerType is
        'threshold'.

        When the current sampled value is less than or equal to this
        threshold, and the value at the last sampling interval was
        greater than this threshold, one
        mteTriggerThresholdFallingEvent is triggered.  That event is
        also triggered if the first sample afer this entry bcomes

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 30]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        active is less than or equal to this threshold and
        mteTriggerThresholdStartup is equal to 'falling' or
        'risingOrFalling'.

        After a falling event is generated, another such event is not
        triggered until the sampled value rises above this threshold
        and reaches mteTriggerThresholdRising."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 3 }

mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRising OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A threshold value to check against if mteTriggerType is
        'threshold'.

        When the delta value (difference) between the current sampled
        value (value(n)) and the previous sampled value (value(n-1))
        is greater than or equal to this threshold,
        and the delta value calculated at the last sampling interval
        (i.e. value(n-1) - value(n-2)) was less than this threshold,
        one mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEvent is triggered. That event is
        also triggered if the first delta value calculated after this
        entry becomes active, i.e. value(2) - value(1), where value(1)
        is the first sample taken of that instance, is greater than or
        equal to this threshold.

        After a rising event is generated, another such event is not
        triggered until the delta value falls below this threshold and
        reaches mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFalling."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 4 }

mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFalling OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A threshold value to check against if mteTriggerType is
        'threshold'.

        When the delta value (difference) between the current sampled
        value (value(n)) and the previous sampled value (value(n-1))

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 31]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        is less than or equal to this threshold,
        and the delta value calculated at the last sampling interval
        (i.e. value(n-1) - value(n-2)) was greater than this threshold,
        one mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEvent is triggered. That event is
        also triggered if the first delta value calculated after this
        entry becomes active, i.e. value(2) - value(1), where value(1)
        is the first sample taken of that instance, is less than or
        equal to this threshold.

        After a falling event is generated, another such event is not
        triggered until the delta value falls below this threshold and
        reaches mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRising."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 5 }

mteTriggerThresholdObjectsOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerThresholdObjects, the mteOwner of a group
        of objects from mteObjectsTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 6 }

mteTriggerThresholdObjects OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteObjectsName of a group of objects from
        mteObjectsTable.  These objects are to be added to any
        Notification resulting from the firing of this trigger for
        this test.

        A list of objects may also be added based on the overall
        trigger, the event or other settings in mteTriggerTest.

        A length of 0 indicates no additional objects."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 7 }

mteTriggerThresholdRisingEventOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 32]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerThresholdRisingEvent, the mteOwner of an
        event entry from mteEventTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 8 }

mteTriggerThresholdRisingEvent OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteEventName of the event to invoke when mteTriggerType is
        'threshold' and this trigger fires based on
        mteTriggerThresholdRising.  A length of 0 indicates no event."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 9 }

mteTriggerThresholdFallingEventOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerThresholdFallingEvent, the mteOwner of an
        event entry from mteEventTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 10 }

mteTriggerThresholdFallingEvent OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteEventName of the event to invoke when mteTriggerType is
        'threshold' and this trigger fires based on
        mteTriggerThresholdFalling.  A length of 0 indicates no event."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 11 }

mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEventOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEvent, the mteOwner of an

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 33]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        event entry from mteEventTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 12 }

mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEvent OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteEventName of the event to invoke when mteTriggerType is
        'threshold' and this trigger fires based on
        mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRising.  A length of 0 indicates no event."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 13 }

mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEventOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEvent, the mteOwner of an
        event entry from mteEventTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 14 }

mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEvent OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteEventName of the event to invoke when mteTriggerType is
        'threshold' and this trigger fires based on
        mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFalling.  A length of 0 indicates no event."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteTriggerThresholdEntry 15 }

--
-- Objects Table
--

mteObjectsTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteObjectsEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 34]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of objects that can be added to notifications based
        on the trigger, trigger test, or event, as pointed to by
        entries in those tables."
    ::= { mteObjects 1 }

mteObjectsEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteObjectsEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A group of objects.  Applications create and delete entries
        using mteObjectsEntryStatus.

        When adding objects to a notification they are added in the
        lexical order of their index in this table.  Those associated
        with a trigger come first, then trigger test, then event."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, mteObjectsName, mteObjectsIndex }
    ::= { mteObjectsTable 1 }

MteObjectsEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteObjectsName                      SnmpAdminString,
    mteObjectsIndex                     Unsigned32,
    mteObjectsID                        OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
    mteObjectsIDWildcard                TruthValue,
    mteObjectsEntryStatus               RowStatus
    }

mteObjectsName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (1..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A locally-unique, administratively assigned name for a group
        of objects."
    ::= { mteObjectsEntry 1 }

mteObjectsIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (1..4294967295)
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "An arbitrary small integer for the purpose of identifying
        individual objects within a mteObjectsName group.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 35]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        Objects within a group are placed in the notification in the
        numerical order of this index.

        Groups are placed in the notification in the order of the
        selections for overall trigger, trigger test, and event.
        Within trigger test they are in the same order as the
        numerical values of the bits defined for mteTriggerTest.

        Bad object identifiers or a mismatch between truncating the
        identifier and the value of mteDeltaDiscontinuityIDWildcard
        result in operation as one would expect when providing the
        wrong identifier to a Get operation.  The Get will fail or get
        the wrong object.  If the object is not available it is omitted
        from the notification."
    ::= { mteObjectsEntry 2 }

mteObjectsID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The object identifier of a MIB object to add to a
        Notification that results from the firing of a trigger.

        This may be wildcarded by truncating all or part of the
        instance portion, in which case the instance portion of the
        OID for obtaining this object will be the same as that used
        in obtaining the mteTriggerValueID that fired.  If such
        wildcarding is applied, mteObjectsIDWildcard must be
        'true' and if not it must be 'false'.

        Each instance that fills the wildcard is independent of any
        additional instances, that is, wildcarded objects operate
        as if there were a separate table entry for each instance
        that fills the wildcard without having to actually predict
        all possible instances ahead of time."
    DEFVAL { zeroDotZero }
    ::= { mteObjectsEntry 3 }

mteObjectsIDWildcard OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Control for whether mteObjectsID is to be treated as

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 36]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        fully-specified or wildcarded, with 'true' indicating wildcard."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteObjectsEntry 4 }

mteObjectsEntryStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowStatus
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The control that allows creation and deletion of entries.
        Once made active an entry MAY not be modified except to
        delete it."
    ::= { mteObjectsEntry 5 }

--
-- Event Section
--

-- Counters

mteEventFailures OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The number of times an attempt to invoke an event
        has failed.  This counts individually for each
        attempt in a group of targets or each attempt for a
        wildcarded trigger object."
    ::= { mteEvent 1 }

--
-- Event Table
--

mteEventTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteEventEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of management event action information."
    ::= { mteEvent 2 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 37]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

mteEventEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteEventEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Information about a single event.  Applications create and
        delete entries using mteEventEntryStatus."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteEventName }
    ::= { mteEventTable 1 }

MteEventEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteEventName                        SnmpAdminString,
    mteEventComment                     SnmpAdminString,
    mteEventActions                     BITS,
    mteEventEnabled                     TruthValue,
    mteEventEntryStatus                 RowStatus
    }

mteEventName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (1..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A locally-unique, administratively assigned name for the
        event."
    ::= { mteEventEntry 1 }

mteEventComment OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A description of the event's function and use."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteEventEntry 2 }

mteEventActions OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      BITS { notification(0), set(1) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The actions to perform when this event occurs.

        For 'notification', Traps and/or Informs are sent according
        to the configuration in the SNMP Notification MIB.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 38]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        For 'set', an SNMP Set operation is performed according to
        control values in this entry."
    DEFVAL { '0'H }  -- No bits set.
    ::= { mteEventEntry 3 }

mteEventEnabled OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A control to allow an event to be configured but not used.
        When the value is 'false' the event does not execute even if
        triggered."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteEventEntry 4 }

mteEventEntryStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      RowStatus
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The control that allows creation and deletion of entries.
        Once made active an entry MAY not be modified except to
        delete it."
    ::= { mteEventEntry 5 }

--
-- Event Notification Table
--

mteEventNotificationTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteEventNotificationEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of information about notifications to be sent as a
        consequence of management events."
    ::= { mteEvent 3 }

mteEventNotificationEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteEventNotificationEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 39]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        "Information about a single event's notification.  Entries
        automatically exist in this this table for each mteEventEntry
        that has 'notification' set in mteEventActions."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteEventName }
    ::= { mteEventNotificationTable 1 }

MteEventNotificationEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteEventNotification                OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
    mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner    SnmpAdminString,
    mteEventNotificationObjects         SnmpAdminString
    }

mteEventNotification OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The object identifier from the NOTIFICATION-TYPE for the
        notification to use if metEventActions has 'notification' set."
    DEFVAL { zeroDotZero }
    ::= { mteEventNotificationEntry 1 }

mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "To go with mteEventNotificationObjects, the mteOwner of a
        group of objects from mteObjectsTable."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteEventNotificationEntry 2 }

mteEventNotificationObjects OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The mteObjectsName of a group of objects from
        mteObjectsTable if mteEventActions has 'notification' set.
        These objects are to be added to any Notification generated by
        this event.

        Objects may also be added based on the trigger that stimulated
        the event.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 40]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        A length of 0 indicates no additional objects."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteEventNotificationEntry 3 }

--
-- Event Set Table
--

mteEventSetTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF MteEventSetEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of management event action information."
    ::= { mteEvent 4 }

mteEventSetEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      MteEventSetEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Information about a single event's set option.  Entries
        automatically exist in this this table for each mteEventEntry
        that has 'set' set in mteEventActions."
    INDEX       { mteOwner, IMPLIED mteEventName }
    ::= { mteEventSetTable 1 }

MteEventSetEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    mteEventSetObject                   OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
    mteEventSetObjectWildcard           TruthValue,
    mteEventSetValue                    Integer32,
    mteEventSetTargetTag                SnmpTagValue,
    mteEventSetContextName              SnmpAdminString,
    mteEventSetContextNameWildcard      TruthValue
    }

mteEventSetObject OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The object identifier from the MIB object to set if
        mteEventActions has 'set' set.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 41]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        This object identifier may be wildcarded by leaving
        sub-identifiers off the end, in which case
        nteEventSetObjectWildCard must be 'true'.

        If mteEventSetObject is wildcarded the instance used to set the
        object to which it points is the same as the instance from the
        value of mteTriggerValueID that triggered the event.

        Each instance that fills the wildcard is independent of any
        additional instances, that is, wildcarded objects operate
        as if there were a separate table entry for each instance
        that fills the wildcard without having to actually predict
        all possible instances ahead of time.

        Bad object identifiers or a mismatch between truncating the
        identifier and the value of mteSetObjectWildcard
        result in operation as one would expect when providing the
        wrong identifier to a Set operation.  The Set will fail or set
        the wrong object.  If the value syntax of the destination
        object is not correct, the Set fails with the normal SNMP
        error code."
    DEFVAL { zeroDotZero }
    ::= { mteEventSetEntry 1 }

mteEventSetObjectWildcard OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Control over whether mteEventSetObject is to be treated as
        fully-specified or wildcarded, with 'true' indicating wildcard
        if mteEventActions has 'set' set."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteEventSetEntry 2 }

mteEventSetValue OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The value to which to set the object at mteEventSetObject
        if mteEventActions has 'set' set."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { mteEventSetEntry 3 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 42]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

mteEventSetTargetTag OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpTagValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The tag for the target(s) at which to set the object at
        mteEventSetObject to mteEventSetValue if mteEventActions
        has 'set' set.

        Systems limited to self management MAY not accept a non-zero
        length for the value of this object.

        A length of 0 indicates the local system.  In this case,
        access to the objects indicated by mteEventSetObject is under
        the security credentials of the requester that set
        mteTriggerEntryStatus to 'active'.  Those credentials are the
        input parameters for isAccessAllowed from the Architecture for
        Describing SNMP Management Frameworks.

        Otherwise access rights are checked according to the security
        parameters resulting from the tag."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteEventSetEntry 4 }

mteEventSetContextName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The management context in which to set mteEventObjectID.
        if mteEventActions has 'set' set.

        This may be wildcarded by leaving characters off the end.  To
        indicate such wildcarding mteEventSetContextNameWildcard must
        be 'true'.

        If this context name is wildcarded the value used to complete
        the wildcarding of mteTriggerContextName will be appended."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { mteEventSetEntry 5 }

mteEventSetContextNameWildcard OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TruthValue
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 43]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

    DESCRIPTION
        "Control for whether mteEventSetContextName is to be treated as
        fully-specified or wildcarded, with 'true' indicating wildcard
        if mteEventActions has 'set' set."
    DEFVAL { false }
    ::= { mteEventSetEntry 6 }

--
-- Notifications
--

dismanEventMIBNotificationPrefix OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIB 2 }
dismanEventMIBNotifications OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
    { dismanEventMIBNotificationPrefix 0 }
dismanEventMIBNotificationObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER
   ::= { dismanEventMIBNotificationPrefix 1 }

--
-- Notification Objects
--

mteHotTrigger OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The name of the trigger causing the notification."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotificationObjects 1 }

mteHotTargetName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The SNMP Target MIB's snmpTargetAddrName related to the
        notification."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotificationObjects 2 }

mteHotContextName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The context name related to the notification.  This MUST be as

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 44]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        fully-qualified as possible, including filling in wildcard
        information determined in processing."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotificationObjects 3 }

mteHotOID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The object identifier of the destination object related to the
        notification.  This MUST be as fully-qualified as possible,
        inluding filling in wildcard information determined in
        processing.

        For a trigger-related notification this is from
        mteTriggerValueID.

        For a set failure this is from mteEventSetObject."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotificationObjects 4 }

mteHotValue OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The value of the object at mteTriggerValueID when a
        trigger fired."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotificationObjects 5 }

mteFailedReason OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      FailureReason
    MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The reason for the failure of an attempt to check for a
        trigger condition or set an object in response to an event."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotificationObjects 6 }

--
-- Notifications
--

mteTriggerFired NOTIFICATION-TYPE
    OBJECTS { mteHotTrigger,
              mteHotTargetName,

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 45]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

              mteHotContextName,
              mteHotOID,
              mteHotValue }
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Notification that the trigger indicated by the object
        instances has fired, for triggers with mteTriggerType
        'boolean' or 'existence'."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotifications 1 }

mteTriggerRising NOTIFICATION-TYPE
    OBJECTS { mteHotTrigger,
              mteHotTargetName,
              mteHotContextName,
              mteHotOID,
              mteHotValue }
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Notification that the rising threshold was met for triggers
        with mteTriggerType 'threshold'."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotifications 2 }

mteTriggerFalling NOTIFICATION-TYPE
    OBJECTS { mteHotTrigger,
              mteHotTargetName,
              mteHotContextName,
              mteHotOID,
              mteHotValue }
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Notification that the falling threshold was met for triggers
        with mteTriggerType 'threshold'."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotifications 3 }

mteTriggerFailure NOTIFICATION-TYPE
    OBJECTS { mteHotTrigger,
              mteHotTargetName,
              mteHotContextName,
              mteHotOID,
              mteFailedReason }
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Notification that an attempt to check a trigger has failed.

        The network manager must enable this notification only with

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 46]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        a certain fear and trembling, as it can easily crowd out more
        important information.  It should be used only to help diagnose
        a problem that has appeared in the error counters and can not
        be found otherwise."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotifications 4 }

mteEventSetFailure NOTIFICATION-TYPE
    OBJECTS { mteHotTrigger,
              mteHotTargetName,
              mteHotContextName,
              mteHotOID,
              mteFailedReason }
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Notification that an attempt to do a set in response to an
        event has failed.

        The network manager must enable this notification only with
        a certain fear and trembling, as it can easily crowd out more
        important information.  It should be used only to help diagnose
        a problem that has appeared in the error counters and can not
        be found otherwise."
    ::= { dismanEventMIBNotifications 5 }

--
-- Conformance
--

dismanEventMIBConformance OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIB 3 }
dismanEventMIBCompliances OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIBConformance 1 }
dismanEventMIBGroups      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dismanEventMIBConformance 2 }

-- Compliance

dismanEventMIBCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
                "The compliance statement for entities which implement
                the Event MIB."
        MODULE  -- this module
                MANDATORY-GROUPS {
                        dismanEventResourceGroup,
                        dismanEventTriggerGroup,
                        dismanEventObjectsGroup,

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 47]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

                        dismanEventEventGroup,
                        dismanEventNotificationObjectGroup,
                        dismanEventNotificationGroup
                }

                OBJECT mteTriggerTargetTag
                MIN-ACCESS  read-only
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Write access is not required, thus limiting
                        monitoring to the local system or pre-configured
                        remote systems."

                OBJECT mteEventSetTargetTag
                MIN-ACCESS  read-only
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Write access is not required, thus limiting
                        setting to the local system or pre-configured
                        remote systems."

                OBJECT mteTriggerValueIDWildcard
                MIN-ACCESS  read-only
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Write access is not required, thus allowing
                        the system not to implement wildcarding."

                OBJECT mteTriggerContextNameWildcard
                MIN-ACCESS  read-only
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Write access is not required, thus allowing
                        the system not to implement wildcarding."

                OBJECT mteObjectsIDWildcard
                MIN-ACCESS  read-only
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Write access is not required, thus allowing
                        the system not to implement wildcarding."

                OBJECT mteEventSetContextNameWildcard
                MIN-ACCESS  read-only
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Write access is not required, thus allowing
                        the system not to implement wildcarding."

        ::= { dismanEventMIBCompliances 1 }

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 48]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

-- Units of Conformance

dismanEventResourceGroup OBJECT-GROUP
        OBJECTS {
                mteResourceSampleMinimum,
                mteResourceSampleInstanceMaximum,
                mteResourceSampleInstances,
                mteResourceSampleInstancesHigh,
                mteResourceSampleInstanceLacks
        }
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Event resource status and control objects."
        ::= { dismanEventMIBGroups 1 }

dismanEventTriggerGroup OBJECT-GROUP
        OBJECTS {
                mteTriggerFailures,

                mteTriggerComment,
                mteTriggerTest,
                mteTriggerSampleType,
                mteTriggerValueID,
                mteTriggerValueIDWildcard,
                mteTriggerTargetTag,
                mteTriggerContextName,
                mteTriggerContextNameWildcard,
                mteTriggerFrequency,
                mteTriggerObjectsOwner,
                mteTriggerObjects,
                mteTriggerEnabled,
                mteTriggerEntryStatus,

                mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityID,
                mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityIDWildcard,
                mteTriggerDeltaDiscontinuityIDType,

                mteTriggerExistenceTest,
                mteTriggerExistenceStartup,
                mteTriggerExistenceObjectsOwner,
                mteTriggerExistenceObjects,
                mteTriggerExistenceEventOwner,
                mteTriggerExistenceEvent,

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 49]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

                mteTriggerBooleanComparison,
                mteTriggerBooleanValue,
                mteTriggerBooleanStartup,
                mteTriggerBooleanObjectsOwner,
                mteTriggerBooleanObjects,
                mteTriggerBooleanEventOwner,
                mteTriggerBooleanEvent,

                mteTriggerThresholdStartup,
                mteTriggerThresholdObjectsOwner,
                mteTriggerThresholdObjects,
                mteTriggerThresholdRising,
                mteTriggerThresholdFalling,
                mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRising,
                mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFalling,
                mteTriggerThresholdRisingEventOwner,
                mteTriggerThresholdRisingEvent,
                mteTriggerThresholdFallingEventOwner,
                mteTriggerThresholdFallingEvent
                mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEventOwner,
                mteTriggerThresholdDeltaRisingEvent,
                mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEventOwner,
                mteTriggerThresholdDeltaFallingEvent
        }
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Event triggers."
        ::= { dismanEventMIBGroups 2 }

dismanEventObjectsGroup OBJECT-GROUP
        OBJECTS {
                mteObjectsID,
                mteObjectsIDWildcard,
                mteObjectsEntryStatus
        }
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Supplemental objects."
        ::= { dismanEventMIBGroups 3 }

dismanEventEventGroup OBJECT-GROUP
        OBJECTS {
                mteEventFailures,

                mteEventComment,

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 50]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

                mteEventActions,
                mteEventEnabled,
                mteEventEntryStatus,

                mteEventNotification,
                mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner,
                mteEventNotificationObjects,

                mteEventSetObject,
                mteEventSetObjectWildcard,
                mteEventSetValue,
                mteEventSetTargetTag,
                mteEventSetContextName,
                mteEventSetContextNameWildcard
        }
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Events."
        ::= { dismanEventMIBGroups 4 }

dismanEventNotificationObjectGroup OBJECT-GROUP
        OBJECTS {
                mteHotTrigger,
                mteHotTargetName,
                mteHotContextName,
                mteHotOID,
                mteHotValue,
                mteFailedReason
        }
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Notification objects."
        ::= { dismanEventMIBGroups 5 }

dismanEventNotificationGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP
        NOTIFICATIONS {
                mteTriggerFired,
                mteTriggerRising,
                mteTriggerFalling,
                mteTriggerFailure,
                mteEventSetFailure
        }
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Notifications."

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 51]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

        ::= { dismanEventMIBGroups 6 }

END

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 52]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

9.  Intellectual Property

The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to pertain
to the implementation or use of the technology described in this
document or the extent to which any license under such rights might or
might not be available; neither does it represent that it has made any
effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the IETF's
procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and standards-
related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of claims of
rights made available for publication and any assurances of licenses to
be made available, or the result of an attempt made to obtain a general
license or permission for the use of such proprietary rights by
implementors or users of this specification can be obtained from the
IETF Secretariat.

The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary rights
which may cover technology that may be required to practice this
standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
Director.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 53]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

10.  Acknowledgements

This MIB contains considerable contributions from the RMON MIB, the
Distributed Management Design Team (Andy Bierman, Maria Greene, Bob
Stewart, and Steve Waldbusser), the Distributed Management Working
Group, and colleagues at Cisco.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 54]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

11.  References

[RFC2571]   Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture
            for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2571, April
            1999

[RFC1155]   Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification
            of Management Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", STD
            16, RFC 1155, May 1990

[RFC1212]   Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions", STD
            16, RFC 1212, March 1991

[RFC1215]   M. Rose, "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the
            SNMP", RFC 1215, March 1991

[RFC2578]   McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
            Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management
            Information Version 2 (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April 1999

[RFC2579]   McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
            Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for
            SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2579, April 1999

[RFC2580]   McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
            Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for
            SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2580, April 1999

[RFC1157]   Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple
            Network Management Protocol", STD 15, RFC 1157, May 1990.

[RFC1901]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
            "Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, January
            1996.

[RFC1906]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
            "Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network
            Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, January 1996.

[RFC2572]   Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message
            Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
            Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2572, April 1999

[RFC2574]   Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model
            (USM) for version 3 of the Simple Network Management

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 55]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

            Protocol (SNMPv3)", RFC 2574, April 1999

[RFC1905]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
            "Protocol Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network
            Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, January 1996.

[RFC2573]   Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications",
            RFC 2573, April 1999

[RFC2575]   Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based
            Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network
            Management Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2575, April 1999

[RFC2570]   Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart,
            "Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network
            Management Framework", RFC 2570, April 1999

[RFC1903]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M. and S. Waldbusser,
            "Coexistence between Version 1 and version 2 of the
            Internet-standard Network Management Framework", RFC 1903,
            January 1996.

[RFCEventMIB]
     Stewart, B., "Event MIB", RFC ????, ?Month? 1999.

[RFC1757]
     Waldbusser, S., "Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
     Base", RFC 1757, February 1995.

[RFC1451]
     Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., Waldbusser, S., "Manager-to-
     Manager Management Information Base", RFC 1451, April 1993.

[RFCExpressionMIB]
     Stewart, B., "Expression MIB", RFC ????, ?Month? 1999.

[RFCNotificationLogMIB]
     Stewart, B., "Notification Log MIB", RFC ????, ?Month? 1999.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 56]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

12.  Security Considerations

Security issues are discussed in the Security section and in the
DESCRIPTION clauses of relevant objects.

13.  Author's Address

     Bob Stewart
     Cisco Systems, Inc.
     170 West Tasman Drive
     San Jose, CA 95134-1706
     U.S.A.

14.  Editor's Address

     Ramanathan Kavasseri
     Cisco Systems, Inc.
     170 West Tasman Drive
     San Jose, CA 95134-1706
     U.S.A.

     Phone: +1 408 527 2446
     Email: [email-masked]

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 57]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

15.  Full Copyright Statement

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999). All Rights Reserved.

This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and
distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included
on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this document itself
may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice
or references to the Internet Society or other Internet organizations,
except as needed for the  purpose of developing Internet standards in
which case the procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet
Standards process must be followed, or as required to translate it into
languages other than English.

The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "AS
IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK
FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT
INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 58]


Internet Draft      Distributed Management Event MIB      6 January 2000

Table of Contents

1 Abstract ........................................................    2
2 The SNMP Management Framework ...................................    2
3 Overview ........................................................    4
4 Relationship to Other MIBs ......................................    4
5 MIB Sections ....................................................    4
6 Operation .......................................................    7
7 Security ........................................................    8
8 Definitions .....................................................   10
9 Intellectual Property ...........................................   53
10 Acknowledgements ...............................................   54
11 References .....................................................   55
12 Security Considerations ........................................   57
13 Author's Address ...............................................   57
14 Editor's Address ...............................................   57
15 Full Copyright Statement .......................................   58

Expires 6 July 2000                                            [Page 59]