Subject: Re: Sched/Script MIB issues

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 2000 16:43:06 +0100

Hi!

Juergen> Thanks for your feedback. So here is a strawman proposal:

Juergen> We add a new object to the smLaunchTable which controls
Juergen> whether the associated script is restarted during reboot. We
Juergen> make this new object a BITS object so that it is possible to
Juergen> add additional start conditions in the future (if we ever
Juergen> need to do this) and we leave a more general solution for
Juergen> this problem for future work.

Juergen> Let me know if there are any concerns or objections.

One potential objection just comes to my mind:

There might arise situations where it is useful to start multiple
running script instances of a single script and may be even from a
single launch button. Thus, one could consider it useful to have an
integer typed object that identifies the number to scripts to start
instead of just a flag.

On the other hand, at this moment I cannot find any reasonable example
where it could be really useful to start multiple equivalent script
instances.

 Frank

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:52:59 +0100

>>>>> Frank Strauss writes:

Frank> On the other hand, at this moment I cannot find any reasonable
Frank> example where it could be really useful to start multiple
Frank> equivalent script instances.

... with the same argument. And even if you need to start a small
number of scripts with the same arguments, you can create multiple
smLaunchTable entries. So the issue is whether there is a practical
need to starts lots of equivalent script instances and whether the
script MIB should have special support for it. I have doubts.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>