Subject: Chair's report on rperfman BOF

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:45:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

The rperfman BOF met for one session in Adelaide on Thursday,
March 30, 2000.  We covered all the items on the agenda and
reached broad agreement that the following disposition of
the work would make sense:

    1) work on the control of active probes appears to belong
       in the rmonmib working group.  It may be helpful
       to limit the scope of such work to the high-level
       control/supervision of such probes, rather than getting
       involved in the low-level programming of their protocol
       interactions.  The rmonmib WG chair will give this topic
       due consideration in planning future activities.

    2) While probe-level data summarization belongs in rmonmib,
       the control of the summarization of information from multiple
       systems is better pursued in disman.  The reporting of the
       summarized information should be consistent with the techniques
       being developed in rmonmib where practical.  The disman WG
       chair will raise this issue in the disman WG as a topic of
       possible future work.

    3) It is believed that snmpconf work will provide
       adequate means to support the coordination of
       probe and data summarization function configuration.
       Those working on this topic will provide feedback into
       the snmpconf work.

With all of the topic areas either handled by existing WG activities
or by the above proposed disposition, we agreed that there is no
need for a new working group nor for a follow-up BOF at this time.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]       http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141  2141 N. First Street
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  San Jose, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's should be coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------