Subject: Re: disman WG last call on Schedule MIB

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:58:32 +0200

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

Randy> Since there appear to be no further issues, I'm starting a
Randy> two-week disman WG last call on
Randy> draft-ietf-disman-schedule-mib-v2-00.txt for advancement to
Randy> Draft Standard status.  This would obsolete RFC 2591.

There were two issues that are not reflected in this ID:

   02: Can the SNMP manager modify CalendarGroup objects and
       schedInterval object when the schedRowStatus is in 'active'
       state?

       Strawman: schedInterval and friends can be changed even if
       schedRowStatus is active and schedAdminStatus and schedOperStatus
       are enabled.

   03: Clarification requires on multiple events in nonexistent times?

       Strawman: Add the following text below the last paragraph of
       section 3.4 in RFC 2591:

          This rule applies to all events scheduled for nonexistent
          time, regardless whether the scheduled events originate from
          one or multiple rows in the schedTable.

At least one WG member said that the behaviour regarding issue 03
should be configurable. And that is where discussion stopped, if I
remember right.

Bottom line: I think I know the edits for 02. I am not so sure with
regard to 03. (Personally, I prefer the strawman because making the
behaviour in this corner case configurable adds quite some complexity
which is hard to test.)

In any case, I do not think we are ready for last call.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:58:32 +0200
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from Randy
> 	Presuhn on Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:58:49 -0800 (PST))
> Subject: Re: disman WG last call on Schedule MIB
> References:  <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> >>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:
> 

As a technical contributor, I also prefer the proposed resolution for
item 03.

As working group chair, I believe there has been ample opportunity
to discuss this question, and will declare a rough consensus for
the strawman resolution to 03 UNLESS I see reasoned objections
posted to this list by Friday of this week.  Unless such objections
materialize, I do not believe it would be necessary to extend the
WG last call further.

> In any case, I do not think we are ready for last call.
...

I'm missing something.  The editor knows the edits.  There are
no contententious issues left.  There are implementations.
Once the updated draft appears, I don't see what could happen
that would bring us any closer to being ready to hand it over
to the IESG.

So, let's do this:

    1) close out all these issues by the end of this week

    2) the editors will update the i-d at their earliest
       opportunity (and I do mean sooner rather than later :-)

    3) I will consider extending the WG last call period if
       issues arise or if requested to do so by someone who
       requires additional time to do an in-depth review.

       I will NOT extend the time in the hope that a lengthy WG
       last call would increase the probability that someone
       might accidentally read the document.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]       http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141  2141 N. First Street
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  San Jose, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's should be coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------