Subject: Re: closing Script MIB issues

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:19:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:59:27 +0200
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from Frank
> 	Strauss on 06 Apr 2000 16:08:04 +0200)
> Subject: Re: closing Script MIB issues
> References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> List-Id: IETF disman Working Group mailing list <[email-masked]>
...
> No, I was thinking about exporting the PID of the runtime system
> process only. That is, all threads running in the same runtime system
> will return the same PID (regardless on which thread implementation
> you are executing).
...

In that case, does there really need to be anything in the
script MIB at all?  The script service's name, PID, and
other information could all be retrieved via the RFC 2564
application MIB, starting with the applSrvNameToSrvInstTable,
and subsequently getting the relevant PID(s) from the
applSrvInstToRunApplElmtTable.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]       http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141  2141 N. First Street
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  San Jose, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's should be coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:04:55 +0200

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

Randy> In that case, does there really need to be anything in the
Randy> script MIB at all?  The script service's name, PID, and other
Randy> information could all be retrieved via the RFC 2564 application
Randy> MIB, starting with the applSrvNameToSrvInstTable, and
Randy> subsequently getting the relevant PID(s) from the
Randy> applSrvInstToRunApplElmtTable.

This approach still requires that we agree on suitable service naming
conventions, right? And then we have to through at last two tables in
order to get the PID of the runtime of a running script. Note that the
runtime and its PID is known by the script MIB implementation. So it
looks like a rather complex way to achieve something which may have a
much simpler solution...

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>