Subject: Re: Question regarding Notification Log MIB

From: "Ramanathan R. Kavasseri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:43:21 -0700

At 09:24 AM 7/12/00 +0200, Yosief Sium (ETO) wrote:
>Hi Ramanathan Kavasseri,
>
>I have a little question regarding Notification Log MIB (Draft from march 
>2000) of which you are the contact person. My questions are in example 3.3 
>on page 7.
>
>In the example, you have  nlmConfigLogFilterName.5."links"  = "link status"
>
>According to the mib definition, nlmConfigLogTable is indexed only by log 
>name, i.e. "links" in the above. Where does then the number 5 in the above 
>OID come from?

"5" is the length of the string "links". The index is a variable-length string.
The following lines from rfc2578, Section 7.7, indicate how the instance
identifier
is formed:

   The syntax of the objects in the INDEX clause indicate how to form
   the instance-identifier:

(1)  integer-valued:  a single sub-identifier taking the integer value
     (this works only for non-negative integers);

(2)  string-valued, fixed-length strings (or variable-length preceded by
     the IMPLIED keyword):  `n' sub-identifiers, where `n' is the length
     of the string (each octet of the string is encoded in a separate
     sub-identifier);

(3)  string-valued, variable-length strings (not preceded by the IMPLIED
     keyword):  `n+1' sub-identifiers, where `n' is the length of the
     string (the first sub-identifier is `n' itself, following this,
     each octet of the string is encoded in a separate sub-identifier);

Please cc such questions to the disman mailing list in the future - you'll
get a faster response that way (plus others may have the same questions)...

Thanks,

Ram

>you have too snmpNotifyFilterMask.11."link status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3 = ' 'H
>
>snmpNotifyFilterMask, which is a member of snmpNotifyFilterTable, is indexed 
>by FilterName(ProfileName) and subtree. My question is again, where does the 
>number 11 come from?
>
>I appreciate the usage of examples as they make the MIBs more understable 
>than the definitions. 
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Regards!
>Yosief Sium
>
>
>
>