Subject: RE: JointNM

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:30:15 +0200

We just discussed Sharon's document in the jointNM.
There is lots of interest in this work, and since it is a MIB, it seems
natural to do this work in the IETF. 

There are concerns
For example there is an ITU doc Q.821 which is very relevant in this
area of active alarms, and it seems we should not re-invent the weel in
IETF. I believe that the Q.821 also points to some X.7nn documents
for mapping of events into alarms. Again, that may be relevant work.

I expect that jointNM participants will post to the disman WG mailing list
with supportive statements for this work and possibly listing requirements
in this area.

Now... the only reason why this would be DISMAN work seems to be that
maybe it has some relation to notificationLog MIB and/or event mib?
Anyway.. the WG needs to decide if they want to pick up this type of
work items.

Bert
> ----------
> From: 	Randy Presuhn[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Wednesday, August 09, 2000 2:37 AM
> To: 	[email-masked]
> Cc: 	[email-masked]
> Subject: 	RE: JointNM
> 
> 
> Hi Mark -
> 
> > Message-ID:
> <[email-masked]>
> > From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
> > To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>,
> >         "Mark Klerer" <[email-masked]>,
> >         Frank Peeters <[email-masked]>
> > Subject: RE: JointNM
> > Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:52:30 -0400
> ...
> > I'd love to present my Active Alarm work, but unfortunately
> > I can't make it to California this week.  Mark has volunteered
> > to present the information for me.  I will also be submitting
> > my internet draft later today.  I am actually subscribed to the 
> > joint NM list, so I can forward the draft there and people can 
> > post questions and suggestions there as well.
> ...
> 
> If there are any comments, minutes, or whatever from the
> JointNM meeting that would aid the IETF disman working
> group in deciding whether to recommend taking this on as
> a work item, please forward them to the WG mailing list at
> <[email-masked]>
> 
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>  Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
>  Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
>  Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
>  http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>  My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:01:19 +0200

>>>>> Wijnen, Bert (Bert) writes:

Bert> There are concerns For example there is an ITU doc Q.821 which
Bert> is very relevant in this area of active alarms, and it seems we
Bert> should not re-invent the weel in IETF. I believe that the Q.821
Bert> also points to some X.7nn documents for mapping of events into
Bert> alarms. Again, that may be relevant work.

I think it is X.733 (which is identical to ISO 10164-4). X.733 is
definately relevant. Some management systems are actually based on the
X.733 model and they usually interface with SNMP agents by mapping
SNMP notifications into X.733 alarm records. This mapping is not
always trivial since there is a big conceptual difference between a
notification (which just describes an event) and an alarm record.

Bert> Now... the only reason why this would be DISMAN work seems to be
Bert> that maybe it has some relation to notificationLog MIB and/or
Bert> event mib?  Anyway.. the WG needs to decide if they want to pick
Bert> up this type of work items.

I believe the X.733 alarm model (though not perfect) is not too bad
and going from there rather than reinventing a different wheel will
make convergence of telco management systems and isp management
systems much easier. In fact, the real technical issue is how you map
notifications into alarm records.

In other words: The biggest problem I have with the proposed document
(despite several more MIB technical issues) is that it is too close to
the SNMP notification logging MIB and ignores to define what the
concept of an alarm really is and how they related to existing
notifications.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>