Subject: RE: draft-chisholm-disman-active-alarm-01.txt

From: "Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:39:04 -0600

draft-chisholm-disman-active-alarm-01.txt
Sharon,

I finally had a chance to read over your MIB. Several questions/comments:

1) In your example you show that the widget normal trap clears the widget
critical trap. How does the agent implementing this MIB know about that
correlation? Should that be configurable someplace in the MIB?

2) You state age out is out of scope of the MIB. I suggest at minimum adding
a variable to indicate what the age out time is. I think a read-write
variable to control that would make sense.

3) It would be useful to add a row status to allow deletion of alarms. For
instance what if a link down trap is received, but the corresponding link up
is never received. With a row status the management station could delete the
entry.

Carl
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Sharon Chisholm
  Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 7:10 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Cc: [email-masked]
  Subject: draft-chisholm-disman-active-alarm-01.txt

  hi

  8. Example

          Define the following Object:
            acmeWidgetIndex OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  Integer32
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS   current
              DESCRIPTION
                "A unique number which identifies a particular Widget."
            ::= { acmeWidgetEntry 1 }

          Define the following three traps:
            acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical NOTIFICATION-TYPE
              OBJECTS { acmeWidgetIndex }
              STATUS      current
              DESCRIPTION
                "This trap indicates that the indicated

  Expires 22 April 2001                                          [Page 17]

  Internet Draft                 Alarm MIB                22 October 2000

                  widget has reached a critical temperature."
            ::= { acmeWidgetTraps 1 }

            acmeWidgetTemperatureNormal NOTIFICATION-TYPE
              OBJECTS { acmeWidgetIndex }
              STATUS      current
              DESCRIPTION
                "This trap indicates that the indicated widget has
                  reached a normal temperature."
            ::= { acmeWidgetTraps 2 }

            bgpBackwardTransition NOTIFICATION-TYPE
              OBJECTS { bgpPeerLastError,
                        bgpPeerState      }
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                 "The BGPBackwardTransition Event is generated
                 when the BGP FSM moves from a higher numbered
                 state to a lower numbered state."
             ::= { bgpTraps 2 }

          0. Active alarm table empty and nothing in notification log
                   ___________________________      _____________________
                  | alarmActiveTable          |    | nlmLogTable         |
                  |---------------------------|    |---------------------|
                  | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm |    | nlmLogIndex | alarm |
                  |---------------------------|    |---------------------|
                  |___________________________|    |_____________________|

          1. Temperature of widget 2 goes critical
                   __________________________________________________
                  | alarmActiveTable                                 |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  |        1         | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical |
                  |__________________________________________________|

                   _____________________________________________
                  | nlmLogTable                                 |
                  |---------------------------------------------|
                  | nlmLogIndex |  alarm                        |
                  |---------------------------------------------|
                  |      1      | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical |
                  |_____________________________________________|

          2. BGP peering session transitions from a state of established

  Expires 22 April 2001                                          [Page 18]

  Internet Draft                 Alarm MIB                22 October 2000

             to opensent
                   __________________________________________________
                  | alarmActiveTable                                 |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  |        1         | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical |
                  |        2         | bgpBackwardTransition         |
                  |__________________________________________________|

                   _____________________________________________
                  | nlmLogTable                                 |
                  |---------------------------------------------|
                  | nlmLogIndex |  alarm                        |
                  |---------------------------------------------|
                  |      1      | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical |
                  |      2      | bgpBackwardTransition         |
                  |_____________________________________________|

          3. Temperature of widget 2 goes back to normal
                   __________________________________________________
                  | alarmActiveTable                                 |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  |        2         | bgpBackwardTransition         |
                  |__________________________________________________|

                   _____________________________________________
                  | nlmLogTable                                 |
                  |---------------------------------------------|
                  | nlmLogIndex |  alarm                        |
                  |---------------------------------------------|
                  |      1      | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical |
                  |      2      | bgpBackwardTransition         |
                  |      3      | acmeWidgetTemperatureNormal   |
                  |_____________________________________________|

          4. Time passes .... BGP alarm ages out.

                   __________________________________________________
                  | alarmActiveTable                                 |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        |
                  |--------------------------------------------------|
                  |__________________________________________________|