Subject: RE: draft-chisholm-disman-active-alarm-01.txt

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:44:16 -0500

hi

Comments in-line.

thanks,

Sharon

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Carl W. Kalbfleisch [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
>1) In your example you show that the widget normal trap clears the widget
critical
> trap. How does the agent implementing this MIB know about that
correlation? Should
> that be configurable someplace in the MIB?
I've attempted to describe this relationship in the alarmDetailsTable with
the
alarmDetailsClearNotificationId object. The system originating the alarm
needs
to define this relationship and fill in the object. It's not configurable
though. 
I don't know if I like the idea of it being configurable.  It makes things
more difficult for the manager. I'd rather just read the table on discovery
instead
of having to monitor the table to see if it's changed and then try and
figure
out what to do with my active alarms if it does. Do you see a need for this 
relationship to change during run-time?

> 
> 2) You state age out is out of scope of the MIB. I suggest at minimum
adding a 
> variable to indicate what the age out time is. I think a read-write
variable to
> control that would make sense.
I thought about this but didn't since I am really trying to push the
raise/clear
model. It would be useful for a manager to know what this interval is
though.  Would
we be able to get away with one variable for the entire system?  

> 
>3) It would be useful to add a row status to allow deletion of alarms. For
instance
> what if a link down trap is received, but the corresponding link up is
never 
> received. With a row status the management station could delete the entry.
I'm not really comfortable with management stations clearing alarms on
devices.
I think that if the problem still exists, then it should show up in the
active alarm
table on the device.  A distributed manager might fail to receive the linkUp
trap,
but it could have a method to ensure consistency that does not require a row
status
object.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Sharon Chisholm
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 7:10 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: draft-chisholm-disman-active-alarm-01.txt

hi 
8. Example 
        Define the following Object: 
          acmeWidgetIndex OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX  Integer32 
            MAX-ACCESS read-only 
            STATUS   current 
            DESCRIPTION 
              "A unique number which identifies a particular Widget." 
          ::= { acmeWidgetEntry 1 } 
        Define the following three traps: 
          acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical NOTIFICATION-TYPE 
            OBJECTS { acmeWidgetIndex } 
            STATUS      current 
            DESCRIPTION 
              "This trap indicates that the indicated 

Expires 22 April 2001                                          [Page 17] 

Internet Draft                 Alarm MIB                22 October 2000 

                widget has reached a critical temperature." 
          ::= { acmeWidgetTraps 1 } 
          acmeWidgetTemperatureNormal NOTIFICATION-TYPE 
            OBJECTS { acmeWidgetIndex } 
            STATUS      current 
            DESCRIPTION 
              "This trap indicates that the indicated widget has 
                reached a normal temperature." 
          ::= { acmeWidgetTraps 2 } 
          bgpBackwardTransition NOTIFICATION-TYPE 
            OBJECTS { bgpPeerLastError, 
                      bgpPeerState      } 
            STATUS  current 
            DESCRIPTION 
               "The BGPBackwardTransition Event is generated 
               when the BGP FSM moves from a higher numbered 
               state to a lower numbered state." 
           ::= { bgpTraps 2 } 
        0. Active alarm table empty and nothing in notification log 
                 ___________________________      _____________________ 
                | alarmActiveTable          |    | nlmLogTable         | 
                |---------------------------|    |---------------------| 
                | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm |    | nlmLogIndex | alarm | 
                |---------------------------|    |---------------------| 
                |___________________________|    |_____________________| 
        1. Temperature of widget 2 goes critical 
                 __________________________________________________ 
                | alarmActiveTable                                 | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                |        1         | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical | 
                |__________________________________________________| 
                 _____________________________________________ 
                | nlmLogTable                                 | 
                |---------------------------------------------| 
                | nlmLogIndex |  alarm                        | 
                |---------------------------------------------| 
                |      1      | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical | 
                |_____________________________________________| 

        2. BGP peering session transitions from a state of established 

Expires 22 April 2001                                          [Page 18] 

Internet Draft                 Alarm MIB                22 October 2000 

           to opensent 
                 __________________________________________________ 
                | alarmActiveTable                                 | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                |        1         | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical | 
                |        2         | bgpBackwardTransition         | 
                |__________________________________________________| 
                 _____________________________________________ 
                | nlmLogTable                                 | 
                |---------------------------------------------| 
                | nlmLogIndex |  alarm                        | 
                |---------------------------------------------| 
                |      1      | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical | 
                |      2      | bgpBackwardTransition         | 
                |_____________________________________________| 

        3. Temperature of widget 2 goes back to normal 
                 __________________________________________________ 
                | alarmActiveTable                                 | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                |        2         | bgpBackwardTransition         | 
                |__________________________________________________| 
                 _____________________________________________ 
                | nlmLogTable                                 | 
                |---------------------------------------------| 
                | nlmLogIndex |  alarm                        | 
                |---------------------------------------------| 
                |      1      | acmeWidgetTemperatureCritical | 
                |      2      | bgpBackwardTransition         | 
                |      3      | acmeWidgetTemperatureNormal   | 
                |_____________________________________________| 

        4. Time passes .... BGP alarm ages out. 
                 __________________________________________________ 
                | alarmActiveTable                                 | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                | alarmActiveIndex |  alarm                        | 
                |--------------------------------------------------| 
                |__________________________________________________|