Subject: Request for clarification in next rev of RFC 3014 (NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB)

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 19:47:50 -0800

Hi,

  There's an apparent conflict between RFC 3014 and RFC 2578.  RFC 3014
has nlmLogVariableOpaqueVal, which is SYNTAX Opaque; RFC 2578 says

   A requirement on "standard" MIB modules is that no object may have a
   SYNTAX clause value of Opaque.

I talked about this with Bert and he said that there was a discussion in
this group and it was decided that having the object of type Opaque is
correct way to allow the NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB to handle Notifications
that had Opaque objects in them (e.g. from non-"standard" modules).
However, since RFC3014 is a "standard" module, it'd be nice to have a
comment about why it's apparently conflicting with RFC2578.

  Since there's already discussion about revving the data structures, this
request might become obsolete, but if that doesn't come to be I'd like
to see this change come about when the NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB gets advanced
to Draft.

Thanks,
  Bill