Subject: RE: Re-open Log MIB for performance?

From: "Ayers, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:28:37 -0600

> So, as chair I ask the WG: do we need to re-open the log MIB
> to do alarming right?

	Data structures, once set, are very difficult to change due to
compatibility issues.  We should certainly cycle the Notification Log MIB
and make the dataset as efficient as possible before releasing it for
deployment.

/|/|ike

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:35:52 -0500

hi

I don't know if we need to re-open the MIB, but if we
do I would suggest the follow changes, two of which
can be used to help performance without touching the
data structures:

1. Add clarifying text as to whether inform resends are
   added to the notification Log.
2. Add a variable to tell you what the current log index
   is for each named log. (nlmCurrentLogIndex )
3. The logIndex can increase by more than one and 
   can technically increase different amount between 
   notifications. It would therefore be nice for the 
   management station to either predict this behaviour 
   or to find out what it has increased after the fact.
   There could be a constantIncrement object, if applicable,
   or a lastIncrement.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Ayers, Mike [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 1:29 PM
To: 'Randy Presuhn'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Re-open Log MIB for performance?

/|/|ike