Subject: RE: ResourceType & ResourceId

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:19:42 -0500

hi

Using rowPointer optimises for the unknown at the expense
of what we do know. 

Arbitrary resources can be identified using the variable
table. The point of these resource objects is to identify 
resources in a consistent manner. Given this, being unable to
identify some resources in some corner cases is not as bad
as opening things up for resources to be identifies 
inconsistently.

Juergen> I would argue that the resource type object in this case is just
Juergen> overhead since it is clear from looking at the OID what the
resource
Juergen> type is. I suggest to use a RowPointer which appropriate text in
the
Juergen> description clauses what typical resources are (in the IETF MIB
Juergen> standards).

Actually, even if we did decide to compromise and allow rowPointer,
this object not only provides a useful hint as to what is in the rowPointer,
but can be used to answer such questions as "What applications are under
alarm?"

In fact, if we keep resourceId as an integer, we could event create a table
optimised for this sort of search
	alarmActiveResoureTable { alarmActiveResourceType,
alarmActiveResourceId )
which we can't really do if we use a rowPointer

Juergen> We should encourage people to point to IETF standards describing
Juergen> resources but not prevent them from pointing to resources defined
Juergen> somewhere else if either the IETF standards do not cover some
Juergen> resources or some IETF standards are just not supported in a given
Juergen> environment.

They can do this in the variable table

Sharon

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:04:32 +0100

>>>>> Sharon Chisholm writes:

[...]

We obviously both fail to convince each other of the right solution.
So instead of trying one more time to convince you, I just recognize
that we to disagree on this issue.

I would be helpful if other folks on this list could share their
thoughts with us.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Muehlenpfordtstr. 23, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>