Subject: Notif Log MIB implementation report for this afternoon's presentation

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:49:21 -0800

Slide 1
        RFC 3014 (Notification Log MIB) Implementation Report
          Ramanathan R. Kavasseri,
          Cisco Systems Inc.
          email: [email-masked]

Slide 2
        Vendor: Cisco Systems
        Contact: [email-masked]
        Platforms: All IOS platforms
        Image restrictions: Only IOS “-j-” and “-p-” images containing
SNMP will have this MIB

Slide 3
Notification Log MIB implementation report

Vendor: Cisco Systems, Inc.
Contact: [email-masked]
Platforms:
All IOS Platforms running "-j-" and "-p-" images contianing SNMP

For the following, indicate whether each of the groups identified in the

MODULE-COMPLIANCE statement is supported.  If the MODULE-COMPLIACE
is problematic, we'd like to know that, too.

Groups                                           Manager         Agent
notificationLogConfigGroup                n                 y
notificationLogStatsGroup                 n                  y
notificationLogLogGroup                    n                 y
notificationLogDateGroup                  n                  y

For the following, indicate whether the full range of syntax
and MAX-ACCESS is supported, or the subset MIN-ACCESS and
refined syntax.

OBJECT                                       Manager         Agent
nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit               -                 full
nlmConfigLogEntryLimit                   -                 full
nlmConfigLogEntryStatus                 -                 sub (only
default log supported currently)

Note:
nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit and nlmConfigLogEntryLimit, though
fully supported, have limited value presently, since only one log
(the default log) is supported.

 Slide 4
        Implementation Notes
            Named logs coded, but not enabled. Reasons:
                view-based access checks currently applied entries are
inserted in the log
                Should these checks also be done when the log is polled?

                            This can be prohibitively expensive.
                            Not doing this can be a security issue.
                This was raised at the London IETF, and the conclusion
was that checks
                   during polling not needed, but network admins need to

be careful about
                    who can access this MIB. Should we add text to this
effect to the next draft?

        MIB scheduled to ship with IOS 12.3
        One customer has specifically asked for this MIB in the next
major release (12.3)