Subject: only 2 remaining goals, is disman dying?

From: "Elias Procopio Duarte Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 19:17:37 -0300 (BRT)

Hi,

Distributed management is a truly broad field, and disman has currently
only two remaining goals... Actually so much has been done in the past, 
and now the list is so quiet, and there are nearly no new developments...

As quoted from the WG page: "It is recognized that the scope of this
working group is narrow relative to the potential in the area of distributed
network management. This is intentional in order to increase the likelihood of
producing useful, quality specifications in a timely manner."

We think this has been accomplished in the past.
But perhaps this is time start new developments in order to keep the WG
alive?
We offer you the Replication MIB as a possible new goal for new developments
in the same Working Group.

We have a new revised version of the Clustering/Replication MIB, 
and are looking forward to a disman WG meeting in Yokohama.

The document is available at:
http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~aldri/draft/replicationmib/index.html

The proposed approach, as presented in Salt Lake City, is a 3-tier
architecture for dependable monitoring by replicating managed objects
in middle-layer managers called clusters.

Replication is a key component of distributed systems, it can enhance
both the availability and performance impact of monitoring. Using the
proposed approach, a managed object is accessible, through the regular
MIB interface, even when the agent/network element is down.  By using
the Replication MIB together with the Expression MIB and Event MIB we
have a powerful approach for managing objects from agents distributed
throughout the network.

We are looking forward to hearing from you,

Sincerely,

Elias