Subject: Alarm #31, #33, #44 - Probable Causes

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 07:35:39 -0400

hi

The following are all related to Probable Causes:

Alarm #31 Duplicate Probable causes
  Solution:
    remove: fireDetected (266)
            floodDetected (267)
            configurationOrCustomizationError(260)
            underlyingResourceUnavailable(287)
  and possibly 
  toxicGas (133) & toxicLeakDetected (286)

Alarm #44 Probable Cause corrections from ITU Study group 4

  Solution: Currently the reserved space for ITU values is < 255.
            Increase this to 1024, to allow more ITU defined values.

            Change text to clarify that "ITU probable cause values 
            for alarms are currently assigned as per M.3100-1995 (1-254), 
            X.733-1992 (256-287), and X.736-1992 (288-303)." 

            Add missing value 158 (reinitialized) 

Alarm #33 Disman Immortality
  Text in the IANA considerations section suggests we'll still be
  around for IETF 34523421, held in the Mars colonies.
  Solution:
  Change text to the following:
  "Over time, there will be a need to add new IANAItuProbableCause
   enumerated values for new probable causes. The Internet
   Assigned Number Authority (IANA) is responsible for the assignment of
   all Internet numbers, including various SNMP-related numbers, and
   specifically, new IANAItuProbableCause values. Values of 
   IANAItuProbableCause less than 255 are reserved for causes
   that correspond to ITU probable cause.

   The following shall be used as the initial values, but the latest
   values for these textual conventions should be obtained from IANA:"

Sharon Chisholm
Preside Management
Nortel Networks
Ottawa, Ontario

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:17:51 -0400

hi

An alternative solution for #31 which would both make ITU study group 4
happy and make it easier for those to already support a particular 
flavour of probably cause in their network - M.3100, X.733 or X.736 -
would be to include all the values of each flavour. There's a bit of
duplication, which could cause confusion, but removing the duplicates
also has the potential to cause confusion as well.

Here's a quote from somewhere:
"ITU probable cause values for alarms are currently assigned as per 
M.3100-1995 (1-254), X.733-1992 (256-287), and X.736-1992 (288-303)."

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:NM50:EXCH] 
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 7:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Alarm #31, #33, #44 - Probable Causes

hi

Sharon Chisholm
Preside Management
Nortel Networks
Ottawa, Ontario