Subject: Alarm #35, #36 - Varbinds to alarmActive Notification

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 08:17:41 -0400

hi

The following two are related to the varbinds of 
alarmActiveState.

Alarm #35 AlarmState Notification varbinds
  "While we're on the topic of these two notifications, I
   think that alarmActiveResourceId is not particularly useful
   without alarmActiveContextName, alarmActiveEngineAddressType,
   alarmActiveEngineAddress, and alarmActiveEngineID."  

  Solution: Solutions interested in being able
  to differentiate the source of the alarm by means other 
  than the source IP address and alarmActiveResourceId, 
  should create alarmListName such that each context/IP 
  pair is its own list

Alarm #36 Varbinds to alarmActiveState notifications
  Using explicit varbinds if model, state and name or using
  alarmActiveModelPointer
  Option 1) varbind alarmListName, alarmModelIndex, alarmModelState
  Option 2) varbind alarmActiveModelPointer  

Solution: Replace alarmModelIndex and alarmModelState 
  in alarmActiveState notification with alarmModelPointer.          

Sharon Chisholm
Preside Management
Nortel Networks
Ottawa, Ontario

---

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:32:26 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the work on getting these issues closed out.

>   in alarmActiveState notification with alarmModelPointer.

Actually, I _think_ you mean alarmActiveModelPointer, right?

NOTE:  Your suggestion doesn't provide a change to
alarmClearState, which has exactly the same problem as
alarmActiveState.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Change 1:

So, just to make sure I have it right, you're proposing that:

   alarmActiveState NOTIFICATION-TYPE
    OBJECTS     { alarmModelIndexVarbind,
                  alarmModelStateVarbind,
                  alarmActiveResourceId }
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
       "An instance of the alarm indicated by
       alarmModelIndexVarbind has been raised
       against the entity indicated by
       alarmActiveResourceType and alarmACtiveResourceId."
    ::= { alarmNotifications 2 }

becomes

   alarmActiveState NOTIFICATION-TYPE
    OBJECTS     { alarmActiveModelPointer,
                  alarmActiveResourceId }
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
       "An instance of the alarm modeled in the model table
       pointed to by alarmActiveModelPointer has been raised
       against the entity indicated by alarmActiveResourceId."
    ::= { alarmNotifications 2 }

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Change 2:

Since alarmClearState also has to be fixed, I suggest that:

   alarmClearState NOTIFICATION-TYPE
      OBJECTS     { alarmModelIndexVarbind,
                    alarmActiveResourceId }
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
        "An instance of the alarm indicated by
        alarmModelIndexVarbind has been cleared against
        the entity indicated by alarmActiveResourceType
        and alarmACtiveResourceId."
      ::= { alarmNotifications 3 }

be changed to:

   alarmClearState NOTIFICATION-TYPE
      OBJECTS     { alarmActiveModelPointer,
                    alarmActiveResourceId }
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
        "An instance of the alarm modeled in the model table row
        pointed to by alarmActiveModelPointer has been cleared
        against the entity indicated by alarmActiveResourceId."
      ::= { alarmNotifications 3 }

Cheers,

dlp