Subject: MIB table modifications tracking MIB discussion...

From: Niraj Gopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 22:05:12 -0700

Hi,

I presented this MIB at DISMAN WG meeting in Yokohama.
The WG members attending this presentation showed fair
amount of interest in pursuing this work. It was decided to
have more discussion about this MIB on the mailing list. I'm
sending this email hoping to kick-off some discussion.

The following items/issues in this MIB were pointed out by
WG members:

- Chris Elliott mentioned that it would be good to combine
the functionality provided by this MIB with the Event MIB.

- Randy mentioned that this MIB could be used for audit
log i.e. a history of who changed what on the device.

- David Perkins pointed out that "web", "xml" enums
  were missing from tmtHistRowModifSource object.

- The user name should be recorded in SNMPv3 case
  also.

- In CLI case, the IP address of the VTY should be
  recorded.

- When a new table is registered, should all the objects
  in that table be moved to tmtRegExcludeObjTable by
  default or not?

- Dave Perkins also pointed out that the way this MIB
  handles notifications target is not legal and it should
  rely on SNMP-TARGET-MIB for notifications handling.

  Response: This MIB allows the NMS to configure a target for
  mib data change notifications for only the tables that the
  users has registered. I was under the impression that it
  was not possible to achieve this using SNMP-TARGET-MIB.
  I'll look into the target MIB again and if it could be done
  using this MIB, I'll remove the notifications handling
  mechanism from TMT MIB.

Thanks,
Niraj

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:40:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:57:00 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> From: Niraj Gopal <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re:  MIB table modifications tracking MIB discussion...
> In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
...
> >Since tmtRegistrationTable and tmtHistRowModifTable
> >both have an owner string index, one could use the
> >snmpNotifyFilterSubtree from RFC 2573 to forward
> >tmtTableRowModified notifications corresponding to a
> >particular user's entries. There's really no need for the
> >special-purpose tmtControlNotificationsTable mechanism in
> >this MIB, as far as I can see.
> 
> Ok, I'll take the notifications handling mechanism out
> of this MIB.
...

Since it seems clear that how one would use RFC 2573 to
support this function is not sufficiently obvious to everyone,
it might be a good idea to include as an informational "use
case" how one would use RFC 2573 in conjuction with this MIB
to accomplish this particular function.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------