Subject: consolidated disman WG minutes from Yokohama

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:01:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

These are the consolidated minutes from the two sessions of
the distributed management (disman) working group at the 54th
IETF meeting in Yokohama, Japan.  The meeting was chaired
by Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>  The minutes on Tuesday,
July 16th were taken by Niraj Gopal <[email-masked]> and on
Thursday, July 18th by Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>

DISMAN WG Meeting minutes
Date : 07/16/2002
Time : 1545-1645
Room Number : 304
Reported by : Niraj Gopal ([email-masked])

Chair Presentation:

The chair mentioned that INTAP/OSMIC (http://www.intap.or.jp)
is working on CIM/XML over SOAP for Alarms and that might be
relevant for us. But no specific action is needed.
XMLCONF might have some impact on us e.g. Juniper scheme does
not send events thru XML.

Condition MIB Prsentation:

Action Item - Bert to resolve Boiler plate references for
rfc1155, 1215, 1157, 2571 to informative/normative. Especially
becasue SNMPv1 status is now historic and should be
informative.

Action Item - For security section, Kam to list the objects
that are read-create or read-write and if they contain any
privacy information.

There was a discussion regarding referential integrity problem
in one of the tables in this MIB. That MIB table uses a fully
qualified Object Identifier of a resource (MIB Varable in
another table) as one of its indices. But the value of that
resource ID can change across reboots thereby causing this
MIB table index to point to some other value, if the table is
persisted. In addition, VACM configuration for such resource
IDs can be problematic.

It was asked if it would be adequate to say in the Security
Considerations section that resources with unstable indices
(non-persistent) can have problems. Bert pointed out that we
need a separate doc as this a generic problem. Randy pointed
out that ADSL profiles handle it thru description and that
it is a known limitation of VACM.

Action Item - A BCP might be needed for this general referential
integrity problem.

Shall we add a storage type to this table or save all entries?
David Perkins pointed out that for CLI you cannot say if
a particular instance be saved while others are not but it
could be SNMP specific.  Bert mentioned that either storage
type or all entries saved is fine but it should be the same
as we have been doing.

Action Item - Kam to raise this question on mailing list if
all entries should be persistent or only some.

Action Item - Kam to define a IANAItuProbableCauseOrZero TC
in this MIB with Unsigned32 syntax that can take any value
of IANAItuProbableCause or 0. IANA should also be informed
not to assign 0, in future, for IANAItuProbableCause.

Bert pointed out that it could have a 0 value and 0 in Index
is not good. Randy suggested that it is ok for this case.

Rest of the presentation to be finished on Thursday.

Disman Thursday 3:30 18 July 2002

Reported by Chris Elliott [email-masked]

Alarm MIB

Alarm 38: This issue needs to be clarified on the mailing list.

Alarm 42: Sharon gets to do what she wants with this and will
post her decision for comments on the mailing list.

Alarm n+2: Reserve 0 in TC and point IANA to this TC so they
know to not allocate 0.

Clustering and Replication

No consensus on if this would be useful.

Needs further discussion on mailing list.

MIB table modification tracking MIB

Meeting seemed to have a fair amount of interest in developing
this MIB.

Should it include all objects in table, exclude all counters,
or exclude all objects by default?

Needs further discussion on mailing list

Distributed Management Apps.

No consensus whether the IETF is the appropriate org for this
or whether SNMP has a role here.

No action required. Continued discussion should be on ops-nm
mailing list.

Charter Updates

Have two target dates overdue…

Alarm MIB will be updated and go WG last call August.
ARC MIB update next week and will go WG last call then.

Can disman go dormant?

Consensus of meeting (not list) was that there is still
interesting things to work on.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:50:11 +0200

Mmmm.,.. maybe I missed this in the draft minutes.
Anyway your consolidated minutes state:
> becasue SNMPv1 status is now historic and should be informative.
> 
Maybe someone did say this, but the fact is that at this very moment,
and certainly during the Yokohama meeting, SNMPv1 was not yet
historic. Such may be the case in the near future, but it has 
not been reclassified by the IESG yet. It is on our agenda for
next week.

I do have the actiuon item to resilve the normative/informatibe
references. Discussion has started on the [email-masked]
mailing list.

Bert

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:43:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

The following includes a correction to the minutes previously
sent out.
 - - - - - - 

Chair Presentation:

Action Item - Bert to resolve Boiler plate references for
rfc1155, 1215, 1157, 2571 to informative/normative. Especially
becasue SNMPv1 status may be going historic and should be
informative.

Alarm MIB

Charter Updates

Can disman go dormant?

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:43:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

I've sent in the correction.

> From [email-masked] Fri Aug  2 02:49:47 PDT 2002
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: consolidated disman WG minutes from Yokohama
> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:50:11 +0200 
> List-Id: IETF disman Working Group mailing list <disman.dorothy.bmc.com>
>