Subject: Re: MIB table modifications tracking MIB discussion...

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 22:05:12 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> From: Niraj Gopal <[email-masked]>
> Subject: MIB table modifications tracking MIB discussion...
> Cc: Niraj Gopal <[email-masked]>
...
> - Dave Perkins also pointed out that the way this MIB
>   handles notifications target is not legal and it should
>   rely on SNMP-TARGET-MIB for notifications handling.
> 
>   Response: This MIB allows the NMS to configure a target for
>   mib data change notifications for only the tables that the
>   users has registered. I was under the impression that it
>   was not possible to achieve this using SNMP-TARGET-MIB.
>   I'll look into the target MIB again and if it could be done
>   using this MIB, I'll remove the notifications handling
>   mechanism from TMT MIB.
...

Since tmtRegistrationTable and tmtHistRowModifTable
both have an owner string index, one could use the
snmpNotifyFilterSubtree from RFC 2573 to forward
tmtTableRowModified notifications corresponding to a
particular user's entries. There's really no need for the
special-purpose tmtControlNotificationsTable mechanism in
this MIB, as far as I can see.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Niraj Gopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:57:00 -0700

>this MIB, as far as I can see.

Ok, I'll take the notifications handling mechanism out
of this MIB.

Thanks,
-Niraj