Subject: [Disman] Propose Resolution to iesg-1 and iesg-5 (take 2)

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:45:09 -0500

Hi

Here is an updated proposed resolution based on Bert's comments

-----

The following is the proposed resolution to IESG-1 and IESG-5

In the description for IanaItuProbableCause, replace the description 

"ITU probable cause values. Duplicate values defined in X.733
           are appended with X733 to ensure uniqueness. Probable cause
           value 0 is reserved for special purposes.

           The Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) is responsible
           for the assignment of all Internet numbers, including
           various SNMP-related numbers, and specifically, new
           IANAItuProbableCause values. Values of
           IANAItuProbableCause less than 1024 are reserved for causes
           that correspond to ITU probable cause. IANAItuProbableCause
           of 0 is reserved for special purposes and therefore cannot
           be assigned. See http://www.iana.org"

With

"          ITU-T probable cause values. Duplicate values defined in X.733
           are appended with X733 to ensure syntactic uniqueness. Probable
cause
           value 0 is reserved for special purposes.

           The Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) is responsible
           for the assignment of all Internet numbers. IANAItuProbableCause
           of 0 is reserved for special purposes and MUST NOT
           be assigned.

           Values of IANAItuProbableCause in the range 1 to 1023 are
reserved 
           for causes that correspond to ITU-T probable cause. All other
requests
           for new causes will be handled on a first-come, first served
basis and
           will be assigned enumeration values starting with 1025. Request
should 
           come in the form of well-formed SMI [RFC2578] for enumeration
names 
           that are unique and sufficiently descriptive.

           While some effort will be taken to ensure that new probable
causes
           do not conceptually duplicate existing probable causes it is 
           acknowledged that the existence of conceptual duplicates in the
           starting probable cause list is an known industry reality.

           To aid IANA in the administration of probable cause names and
values,
           the Management Area Director will appoint an expert to help
review
           requests.

           See http://www.iana.org

           "

Sharon Chisholm
Portfolio Integration
Nortel Networks
Ottawa, Canada