Subject: [Disman] Propose Resolution to iesg-1 and iesg-5

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:03:43 -0500

Hi

The following is the proposed resolution to the final two issues raised as a
result of the IESG reviews. I'd like to get the update to the document out
within the next day or two, so please provide any objections to the
resolutions as soon as possible.

Note that both of these issues were around allocation of probable cause
enumerations. See my email from January 13th for more information.

-----

The following is the proposed resolution to IESG-1 and IESG-5

In the description for IanaItuProbableCause, replace the description 

"ITU probable cause values. Duplicate values defined in X.733
           are appended with X733 to ensure uniqueness. Probable cause
           value 0 is reserved for special purposes.

           The Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) is responsible
           for the assignment of all Internet numbers, including
           various SNMP-related numbers, and specifically, new
           IANAItuProbableCause values. Values of
           IANAItuProbableCause less than 1024 are reserved for causes
           that correspond to ITU probable cause. IANAItuProbableCause
           of 0 is reserved for special purposes and therefore cannot
           be assigned. See http://www.iana.org"

With

"          ITU-T probable cause values. Duplicate values defined in X.733
           are appended with X733 to ensure syntactic uniqueness. Probable
cause
           value 0 is reserved for special purposes.

           The Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) is responsible
           for the assignment of all Internet numbers, including
           various SNMP-related numbers, and specifically, new
           IANAItuProbableCause values. IANAItuProbableCause
           of 0 is reserved for special purposes and MUST NOT
           be assigned.

           Values of IANAItuProbableCause in the range 1 to 1023 are
reserved 
           for causes that correspond to ITU-T probable cause. IANA will
align 
           causes with enumeration values within this range only as a result

           of requests received from the ITU-T via formal liaison
statements.

           All other requests for new causes will be handled on a
first-come, 
           first served basis and will be assigned enumeration values
starting 
           with 1025. Request should come in the form of well-formed SMI for

           enumeration names that are unique and sufficiently descriptive.

           While some effort should be taken to ensure that new probable
causes
           do not conceptually duplicate existing probable causes it is 
           acknowledges that the existence of conceptual duplicates in the
           starting probable cause list is an acknowledged industry reality.

           See http://www.iana.org

           "

Sharon Chisholm
Portfolio Integration
Nortel Networks
Ottawa, Canada