Subject: [Disman] traceroute-mib-5, ping-mib-4, lookup-2

From: Giorgio Nunzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:14:50 +0100

Dear all,

my last note involves all the three REMOPS MIBs.
I describe the traceroute-mib first.

traceRouteMaxConcurrentRequests OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      Unsigned32
     UNITS       "requests"
     MAX-ACCESS  read-write
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION
        "The maximum number of concurrent active traceroute requests
        that are allowed within an agent implementation.  A value
        of 0 for this object implies that there is no limit for
        the number of concurrent active requests in effect."
     DEFVAL { 10 }
     ::= { traceRouteObjects 1 }

An ambiguity holds when a value is set for this object and the agent
has already more active requests than the value specified.
The solutions possible are:
- kill the exceeding requests (for instance the ones started recently)
and start them again later;
- continue to process them.
I suggest the second case and to add the following sentence at the
bottom of the DESCRIPTION clause.
"The limit applies only to the new rquests being activated.  When a
new value is set, the agent will process all the requests already
active, even if they exceed the limit just imposed."

Analogous considerations (and solutions) are valid for the objects
pingMaxConcurrentRequests and lookupMaxConcurrentRequests.

pingMaxConcurrentRequests OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      Unsigned32
     UNITS       "requests"
     MAX-ACCESS  read-write
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION
        "The maximum number of concurrent active ping requests
        that are allowed within an agent implementation.  A value
        of 0 for this object implies that there is no limit for
        the number of concurrent active requests in effect."
     DEFVAL { 10 }
     ::= { pingObjects 1 }

lookupMaxConcurrentRequests OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      Unsigned32
     UNITS       "requests"
     MAX-ACCESS  read-write
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION
        "The maximum number of concurrent active lookup requests
        that are allowed within an agent implementation.  A value
        of 0 for this object implies that there is no limit for
        the number of concurrent active requests in effect."
     DEFVAL { 10 }
     ::= { lookupObjects 1 }

Giorgio

-- 
Giorgio Nunzi
Network Laboratories              Heidelberg, Germany
NEC Europe Ltd.                   http://www.netlab.nec.de