Subject: [Disman] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:25:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Distributed Management Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations
	Author(s)	: J. Quittek, K. White
	Filename	: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-04.txt
	Pages		: 89
	Date		: 2004-8-9
	
This memo defines Management Information Bases (MIBs) for performing
remote ping, traceroute and lookup operations at a remote host.  When
managing a network it is useful to be able to initiate and retrieve
the results of ping or traceroute operations when performed at a
remote host.  A Lookup capability is defined in order to enable
resolving of either an IP address to an DNS name or an DNS name to an
IP address at a remote host.
Currently, there are several enterprise-specific MIBs for performing
remote ping or traceroute operations.  The purpose of this memo is to
define a standards-based solution to enable interoperability.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:31:57 +0200

Dear all,

Please find the list of changes between version -03 and version -04
listed at the end of this message.  We already discussed the changes
on this list and - so far - there are no further open issues left.

Thanks,

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]       Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,       Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-04.txt

=======================================
changes from version -03 to version -04
=======================================

========================================================================
29. Bad numbering of objects in DISMAN-TRACEROUTE-MIB
========================================================================
Problem Description:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
OID { traceRouteGroups 6 } is assigned twice,
to traceRouteCtlRowStatusGroup and to traceRouteHistoryGroup
========================================================================
Suggested solution:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
replcace for traceRouteHistoryGroup OLD
   ::= { traceRouteGroups 6 }
with NEW
   ::= { traceRouteGroups 7 }
========================================================================
Status: solution committed
========================================================================

========================================================================
30. traceRouteMinimumCompliancy does not cover
    traceRouteCtlRowStatusGroup
========================================================================
Problem Description:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The traceRouteMinimumCompliancy statement does not cover the new
traceRouteCtlRowStatusGroup.
========================================================================
Suggested solution:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
add to traceRouteMinimumCompliancy:
            GROUP traceRouteCtlRowStatusGroup
            DESCRIPTION
                "A compliant implementation does not have to implement
                the traceRouteCtlRowStatusGroup."
========================================================================
Status: solution committed
========================================================================

========================================================================
31. Coverage of excessive lookup in security considerations
========================================================================
Problem Description:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Security considerations do not describe the threat of excessively
using the lookup service.

raised by Dan Romascanu
========================================================================
Suggested solution:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Section 5. Security Considerations replace OLD
   In general, both the ping and traceroute functions when used
   excessively are considered a form of system attack.  In the case of
   ping sending a system requests too often can negatively effect its
   performance or attempting to connect to what is supposed to be an
   unused port can be very unpredictable.  Excessive use of the
   traceroute capability can like ping negatively affect system
   performance.  In insecure environments it is RECOMMENDED that the
   MIBs defined within this memo not be supported.
with NEW
   In general, all three, the ping, traceroute and lookup functions,
   when used excessively are considered a form of system attack.  In the
   case of ping sending a system requests too often can negatively
   effect its performance or attempting to connect to what is supposed
   to be an unused port can be very unpredictable.  Excessive use of the
   traceroute capability can like ping negatively affect system
   performance.  The same applies to excessive use of the lookup
   service, particularly, if the lookup cannot be resolved locally.  In
   insecure environments it is RECOMMENDED that the MIBs defined within
   this memo not be supported.
========================================================================
Status: solution committed
========================================================================