Subject: [Disman] EVENT-MIB notes on the 06 draft

From: "mark kaplun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:01:37 +0200

Hi, here are some issues I have with the MIB and the draft

1. Chapter 5 (Operation) implies that there is no storage control defined in 
the MIB, however there is one - mteTriggerEntryStorageType etc.

2. The concept of discontinuity is not defined. I guess that it meant that 
the time between sampling should be equal to the time difference in the 
discontinuity objects, however I coudln't find were it was spelled out, and 
how a discuntinuity affects opertaion (should it be treated as a startup of 
sampling?)

3. I couldn't find a description of what happens after a sample attempt had 
failed, and how it affects the operation especially regarding delta 
calculation.

4. IMHO example of configuration for all the types of triggers should be 
included.

5. It is not explicitly stated that for boolean triggers an event is 
triggered only at the first time the condition holds. (I guess that traps 
should not be sent for every consecutive sample as well).

6. I fail to see the use of RisingDelta and FallingDelta in the threshold 
table. If I want to monitor the delta of a data I can use a delta oriented 
trigger, so the only added value is the ability to monitor delta of a delta, 
a concept which I (with my limited imagination) can't think of a use case 
for. What actually bothers me is that there is no mechanism to turn off the 
delta threshold, so in principal I can not have a threshold trigger without 
having the delta threshold monitoring as well, even if it doesn't make sense 
for the values I want to monitor.

Mark 

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.361 / Virus Database: 267.12.6/151 - Release Date: 28.10.2005