Subject: [Disman] RE: RFC 3877 question

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:30:11 -0400

hi
 
All three are indices into the table. It is valid to include as an index
something which isn't in the table. Think about all those tables that
are indexed by ifIndex as good examples.
 
Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Deutsch [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 3877 question

Hello,

I am contemplating implementing the ALARM-MIB on one of our products and
have encountered an entry in the definition of the ALARM-MIB that may be
an error (either that or I am missing something - which is very likely).

The problem I have is with the INDEX statement for the alarmModelEntry,
which I have reproduced below:

alarmModelEntry OBJECT-TYPE

   SYNTAX      AlarmModelEntry

   MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible

   STATUS      current

   DESCRIPTION

       "Entries appear in this table for each possible alarm state.

       This table MUST be persistent across system reboots."

   INDEX       { alarmListName, alarmModelIndex, alarmModelState }

   ::= { alarmModelTable 1 }

AlarmModelEntry ::= SEQUENCE {

   alarmModelIndex                 Unsigned32,

   alarmModelState                 Unsigned32,

   alarmModelNotificationId        OBJECT IDENTIFIER,

   alarmModelVarbindIndex          Unsigned32,

   alarmModelVarbindValue          Integer32,

   alarmModelDescription           SnmpAdminString,

   alarmModelSpecificPointer       RowPointer,

   alarmModelVarbindSubtree        OBJECT IDENTIFIER,

   alarmModelResourcePrefix        OBJECT IDENTIFIER,

   alarmModelRowStatus             RowStatus

   }

According to this definition, alarmListName is one of three indexes used
for the alarmModelEntry. However, alarmListName is not one of the
objects appearing in the AlarmModelEntry sequence.

I believe that alarmListName was erroneously included in the INDEX
statement, and that only alarmModelIndex and alarmModelState should be
used as indices into the alarmModelEntry. Am I wrong? 

Any explanations you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Adam Deutsch

Powerwave Technologies

+1-905-946-3395