Subject: [Disman] Fw: [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 New Work Item Approved

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:07:42 -0700

Hi -

This appears to be related to the disman work on alarm management and logging,
as well as the SNMP notification forwarding infrastructure.

Randy

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ops-Nm (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:38 AM
Subject: FW: [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 New Work Item Approved

FYI, please forward if you believe other IETF lists may be interested.

Dan

  _____

From: Victoria Gray [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 New Work Item Approved

Dear All,

OMA would like to inform all the organisations subscribed to the IETF new-work list of the approval of 1 new work item:

1 General Service Subscription Management (GSSM) WI:

http://www.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/TP/Permanent_documents/OMA-WID_0136-GSSM-V1_0-20060616-A.zip

The objective of this work item is to specify a general service subscription management function in OSE, that is expected to cover
management of all services subscriptions within an operator/service provider’s domain.

Service subscription describes the agreement between the subscriber and operator/service provider, based on which the subscriber is
allowed to consume the service, and charged according to an agreed rate. Service subscription is very essential information for
operators and service providers, since at least the following actions would pertain to service subscription information:

Ÿ            Authorization for a service: by checking if a subscriber is subscribed to a service, operator/service provider can
control if the subscriber is allowed to access a service (subscriber-initiated service), or if the service application is allowed to
push a content to a subscriber (application-initiated service);

Ÿ            Charging: service subscription is one of the major references for charging.

Service subscription describes (among other pieces of information like service customization and other subscription parameters) the
service availability for a subscriber (e.g., if the subscriber is subscribed to a WAP-based “mobile weather forecast” service).
Currently, the management of service subscription information is not yet specified in OMA, and therefore it simply could be assumed
to be either subsumed by other enabler implementation or by the application implementing a service. Each of these approaches has its
drawbacks, since this ambiguity may lead to unnecessary complexity and silo approaches that should be avoided wherever possible, in
compliance with the OSE architecture:

Ÿ            Increased cost and complexity: each service enabler/application server has to manage subscriber identity, subscriptions
and (optionally) billing individually.

Ÿ            Poor usability: possibly various subscription flows and requirements for subscribing different services, and there
exists inability to express cross-application subscription preferences.

Ÿ            Management difficulty: poor design for management of service subscription information for different services since they
are managed by different network elements that are within or without the operator/service provider’s domain.

According to the description above, there is value in identifying a general service subscription management (GSSM) function which
decouples access to service subscription from its actual representation and the location of the data by providing:

Ÿ            a single point of access to service subscription across multiple instances of a service (e.g. multiple PoC servers)

Ÿ            a unique interface to subscriber data across multiple services (e.g. PoC, IM, etc.).

The GSSM work item will address at least the following features related to service subscription management:

Ÿ            Dynamic manipulation (add, update, remove, pause, resume) of service subscription;

Ÿ            Service subscription provisioning, i.e. doing all the steps needed in order to fulfil a service subscription request
from a subscriber);

Ÿ            Service subscription verification for requests by a subscriber for a service application (or the reverse direction);

Note that in this Work Item, no assumption is being made on the service subscription data storage location; the focus is primarily
on the means to access such data for provisioning purpose or for viewing purpose.

This work item has been allocated to the OMA ARC (Architecture WG) for specification development.

Best regards,

Victoria Gray on behalf of OMA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> _______________________________________________
> New-work mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work
>