Subject: [Disman] RFC 3877 and IPv6

From: "Mark A. Flacy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:21:59 -0600

Greetings,

In the version of RFC 3877 available at datatracker.ietf.org, I noticed  
that the alarmActiveVariableValueType does not include either  
InetAddressType or InetAddress in the enumeration which does not allow  
you to indicate an IPv6 address in the alarmActiveVariableTable.  The  
alarmActiveEngineAddress is expressed according to RFC 2851, so that is  
not a problem.

Will alarmActiveVariableValueType be extended to include  
InetAddressType and InetAddress (along with matching  
alarmActiveVariableInetAddressTypeVal and  
alarmActiveVariableInetAddressVal objects in AlarmActiveVariableEntry)?
Is there a recommended work-around?

Thank you!

-- 
Mark A. Flacy

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:17:15 +0100

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 04:21:59PM -0600, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> Greetings,
> 
> In the version of RFC 3877 available at datatracker.ietf.org, I
> noticed that the alarmActiveVariableValueType does not include
> either InetAddressType or InetAddress in the enumeration which does
> not allow you to indicate an IPv6 address in the
> alarmActiveVariableTable.  The alarmActiveEngineAddress is expressed
> according to RFC 2851, so that is not a problem.
> 

And InetAddress is encoded as an OCTET STRING and hence you should be
fine using alarmActiveVariableOctetStringVal (and for the
InetAddressType you would use alarmActiveVariableInteger32Val).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>