Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Post-IESG Review edits to RFC7601bis

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:53:33 -0800

With the posting of -05, we expect the last DISCUSSes to clear (one already
has) and the document can proceed.

During DISCUSS discussions, it was pointed out that the ADSP, Sender ID,
and DomainKeys specifications bear "Historic" status, and thus they should
not be carried forward into the new version; they will continue to exist in
the Authentication-Results registries, but their status will be changed to
"deprecated" and their defining documents will be left at RFC7601, while
the others that are still current will remain "active" and their defining
documents will be updated to point to this new one.

As this wasn't expressly part of the Working Group Last Call, it's
appropriate that this be posted here and people be given a chance to
express their opinions on this last-minute change.  Thus, with the Chairs'
approval, I'll post this on Friday absent any sustained objection, and
Alexey can then send it off to the editors.

The proposed diff to -05 can be seen here:
http://www.blackops.org/~msk/diff.html

-MSK

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:09:03 +0000

>http://www.blackops.org/~msk/diff.html

According to the rules of the registry (as described in RFC 7601), a designated expert can change entries to deprecated without a specification.

No need to tie this to 7601bis.  Just ask IANA to make the changes (since you're the primary designated expert).

If you do that, then dropping them from 7601bis is obviously correct.  I think it's correct anyway, but that's cleaner.

Scott K

---

From: "Kurt Andersen (b)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:39:28 -1000

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
> According to the rules of the registry (as described in RFC 7601), a
> designated expert can change entries to deprecated without a specification.
>

It's not so much a matter of tying it to 7601bis - there's just one or two
sentences in the IANA considerations to make it happen. It's more a matter
of cleaning out the obsolete sections of 7601 rather than carrying forward
verbiage about obsolete protocols.

--Kurt

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 21:10:27 -0800

> designated expert can change entries to deprecated without a specification.

True, but that's not the only change here.  Not carrying deprecated entries
into 7601bis was identified as something cleaner than carrying them forward
and then immediately deprecating them.

No need to tie this to 7601bis.  Just ask IANA to make the changes (since
> you're the primary designated expert).

Yes, but since I'm also editing this thing now anyway, I may as well take
advantage of it.  And this way the audit trail is more visible, if that
matters to someone.

-MSK

---

From: Seth Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 07:07:21 -0800

The changes look good and clean to me, and allow anyone reading 7601bis to
understand the deprecated entries without needing to hunt them down in
obsoleted documents.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 9:10 PM Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> True, but that's not the only change here.  Not carrying deprecated
> entries into 7601bis was identified as something cleaner than carrying them
> forward and then immediately deprecating them.
>
> _______________________________________________
> dmarc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmarc
>