Subject: [DMM] FW: New Version Notification for draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa-00.txt

From: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:11:49 +0000

Folks - This is a new approach, MFA, that we are looking at for solving
the user-plane optimization problem.
Please review and comment.

Sri

On 2/24/18, 9:40 AM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
>A new version of I-D, draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa-00.txt
>has been successfully submitted by Sri Gundavelli and posted to the
>IETF repository.
>
>Name:		draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa
>Revision:	00
>Title:		Mobility-aware Floating Anchor (MFA)
>Document date:	2018-02-24
>Group:		Individual Submission
>Pages:		25
>URL:            
>https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa-00.txt
>Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa/
>Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa-00
>Htmlized:       
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa-00
>
>
>Abstract:
>   IP mobility protocols are designed to allow a mobile node to remain
>   reachable while moving around in the network.  The currently deployed
>   mobility management protocols are anchor-based approaches, where a
>   mobile node's IP sessions are anchored on a central node.  The mobile
>   node's IP traffic enters and exits from this anchor node and it
>   remains as the control point for all subscriber services.  This
>   architecture based on fixed IP anchors comes with some complexity and
>   there is some interest from the mobile operators to eliminate the use
>   of fixed anchors, and other residual elements such as the overlay
>   tunneling that come with it.
>
>   This document describes a new approach for realizing a mobile user-
>   plane that does not require fixed IP anchors.  The architectural-
>   basis for this approach is the separation of control and user plane,
>   and the use of programmability constructs of the user-plane for
>   traffic steering.  This approach is referred to as, Mobility-aware
>   Floating Anchor (MFA).
>
>                  
>        
>
>
>Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
>submission
>until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
>
>The IETF Secretariat
>

---

From: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:45:59 +0000

The key advantage of this approach is that it does not require a new
control plane protocol. The SDN interfaces that are available for
user-plane configuration are leveraged here for solving the mobility
problem. There are no fixed anchors or tunnels in this approach, and the
mobile traffic always takes the optimized routing path.

There is no special forwarding state in the network, except for a short
period of time when the mobile node changes its point of attachment and
when there are active flows, but that state goes away after a while. So,
the network starts with no state, and when there is handoff there, some
steering (Ex: SRv6) path steering gets inserted, but subsequently that is
removed and the network reverts back to stateless mode.

Sri 

On 2/24/18, 10:11 AM, "dmm on behalf of Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>>Status:         
>>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gundavelli-dmm-mfa/
>_______________________________________________
>dmm mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm