Subject: [DMM] Topology definition in the current FPC draft

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 19:47:24 -0800

Hello folks,

When I think of a network topology, I think of the nodes in the network 
and the links between them.  Right now in the FPC document, the 
definition of topology does not easily admit that interpretation.

I would like to modify the top-level Topology definition to be a set of 
"Topological Links", where each such Link has a local Interface, and a 
remote Interface, and some description about the communication channel 
between the the local and remote Interfaces.  Interesting attributes of 
the description might include:

- IP addresses

- tunnel type

- MTU

- available bandwidth

- etc.

Also in the current document there are features which are important for 
creating the topology and configuring the DPNs to realize the topology.  
This involves selection of appropriate DPNs based (roughly speaking) on 
the roles they play in the network. As a result, we should discuss 
Topology as a set of Links that are established at initial network 
configuration time, and infrequently modified as a consequence of 
network events.  For instance there might be a need for load balancing, 
or routing around damaged equipment.

FPC interface directives would include information about the addresses 
and other attributes of the communication channel, as well as enabling 
database references to both DPN endpoints of the Link as part of the 
Topological Link data.

Finally, it should be discussed whether the Topology reflects all 
communication channels configured on DPNs, or only communication 
channels between interfaces of Service Groups.  The latter is a close 
reformulation of what has been previously called a "DPN Group", and 
refers to a group of interfaces on a DPN that are organized together to 
fulfill some specific service need or service function.

Comments will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Charlie P.