Subject: [DMM] Call for adoption of draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02 as DMM WG document

From: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 00:34:15 +0000

Folks:

During IETF 102 and 103, the authors of the document, draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis.txt have provided the overview of this document. The chairs felt there is good amount of work that went into the document and the analysis has value. The document quality is very high. There was also generally good feedback and interest for the work from the community. We are therefore considering adopting this document as a DMM WG document, to be moved on Informational Standards track.

There were also few concerns/comments on the 1.) Relevance of this document to 3GPP in the immediate time frame 2.) Archival Value of the document 3.) Target Audience  - IETF or 3GPP.
On #3, there was also a view that the document should be restructured to make it IETF focussed.  With this background, we would like to ask the WG to provide some feedback on their interest for this work. Please provide substantial comments as why this should be adopted, or why it should not be adopted. If there is interest, and if there are no other concerns from AD/IESG/Others, then we may take up this work at some point.

Draft Pointer: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02

The adoption call will end on 4th of December, 2019.

Regards
Dapping & Sri

---

From: "Kentaro Ebisawa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 18:56:22 +0000

Hello,

I see Archival Value in this document for members in IETF community, who 
would be working on mobile related technologies in the future.

This document provides an easy to read overview of current 3GPP 
Architecture and User Plane Protocol in IETF friendly format, and also 
provide pointers to 3GPP documents one should read for further 
information.
This is really helpful, since it's really difficult to find set of 3GPP 
documents one must read to get base knowledge to understand and start  
discussing about mobile architecture and protocols, unless you are 
already familiar with 3GPP organization structure, standardization 
process, in which group requirement/architecture/technical 
specifications are discussed, and where to find and download documents.

This did help me and expect to help others in the future to acquire 
basic knowledge to get better understanding of other drafts like 
draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane which is our working group document.

Thanks,
--
Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>
Principal Researcher | Toyota InfoTechnology Center Co., Ltd.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc:
date: 2018/11/13 16:34:15
Subject: [DMM] Call for adoption of draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02 
as DMM WG document

Folks:

During IETF 102 and 103, the authors of the document, 
draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis.txt have provided the overview of this 
document. The chairs felt there is good amount of work that went into 
the document and the analysis has value. The document quality is very 
high. There was also generally good feedback and interest for the work 
from the community. We are therefore considering adopting this document 
as a DMM WG document, to be moved on Informational Standards track.

There were also few concerns/comments on the 1.) Relevance of this 
document to 3GPP in the immediate time frame 2.) Archival Value of the 
document 3.) Target Audience  - IETF or 3GPP.
On #3, there was also a view that the document should be restructured to 
make it IETF focussed.  With this background, we would like to ask the 
WG to provide some feedback on their interest for this work. Please 
provide substantial comments as why this should be adopted, or why it 
should not be adopted. If there is interest, and if there are no other 
concerns from AD/IESG/Others, then we may take up this work at some 
point.

Draft Pointer: 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02

Regards
Dapping & Sri

---

From: Luca Muscariello <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 10:12:52 +0100

Hi,

+1 for adoption. There is a lot of useful content in this document and
adoption can only help to make it better.
IETF seems the primary audience to me.

Luca

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 1:34 AM Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> document. The chairs felt there is good amount of work that went into the
> document and the analysis has value. The document quality is very high.
> There was also generally good feedback and interest for the work from the
> community. We are therefore considering adopting this document as a DMM
> WG document, to be moved on Informational Standards track.
>
> make it IETF focussed.  With this background, we would like to ask the WG
> to provide some feedback on their interest for this work. Please provide
> substantial comments as why this should be adopted, or why it should not be
> adopted. If there is interest, and if there are no other concerns from
> AD/IESG/Others, then we may take up this work at some point.
>
> Draft Pointer: *https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02>*
>
> _______________________________________________
> dmm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm
>

---

From: Arashmid Akhavain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 15:03:51 +0000

I vote for adoption. Valuable information have been gathered in this document.

Arashmid

From: dmm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Luca Muscariello
Sent: 21 November 2018 04:13
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Luca Muscariello <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [DMM] Call for adoption of draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02 as DMM WG document

Hi,

+1 for adoption. There is a lot of useful content in this document and adoption can only help to make it better.
IETF seems the primary audience to me.

Luca

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 1:34 AM Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Folks:

Regards
Dapping & Sri
_______________________________________________
dmm mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm

---

From: Alberto Rodriguez-Natal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:05:27 -0800

I find this draft useful and support its adoption.

Thanks,
Alberto

---

From: "Zafar Ali (zali)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:19:34 +0000

+1, I find this document very useful for the WG to take and complete.

Thanks

Regards … Zafar

Regards
Dapping & Sri

---

From: Kiran.Makhijani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 23:03:28 +0000

Support. The document is certainly very useful.
But I hope to see some restructuring, perhaps as a problem-statement document to make it IETF-relevant (or aligned) and sets background reference for future work in DMM.

-Kiran

From: dmm <[email-masked]> on behalf of "Zafar Ali (zali)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 9:20 AM
To: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [DMM] Call for adoption of draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02 as DMM WG document

Thanks

Regards … Zafar

Regards
Dapping & Sri