Subject: RE: [DNA] DNA link hints document

From: "Soliman, Hesham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:18:18 -0500

Hi Tero,

 > Actually, if I'm correct, the IPv6 address is acquired via 
 > the PDP context exchange. RAs are not sent to the terminal, 
 > for example, in the following scenario:
 > 
 >       LAPTOP <-- PPP --> PHONE <---- GPRS ----> GGSN
 > 
 > And the same is (obviously) true for UMTS as well...

=> The RAs are sent (at least according to the specs) but what you
might be seeing is that the RA is only sent to the phone and is not
forwarded to the laptop. So the laptop only sees a PPP connection. 

The situation might be different if instead of the phone you see 
a PCMCIA card inside the laptop. Or if you snoop the traffic arriving
at the phone itself. I.e. when the PPP part is removed.

Hesham

 > BR,
 > Tero Kauppinen

===========================================================
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.
===========================================================

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 11:45:38 -0800 (PST)

> forwarded to the laptop. So the laptop only sees a PPP connection.

There is still the question of how the LAPTOP gets the IPv6 prefix without
RA.  Since PPP IPv6CP standards don't specify this, I'm at a loss to
explain it.

> at the phone itself. I.e. when the PPP part is removed.

Well, there are driver models that emulate ethernet, and that translate
this to PPP over the wire.  But I think the question still stands...

---

From: Tero Kauppinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:43:41 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

Actually I now do think that you must be correct and the RA must reach the 
node otherwise it doesn't make any sense why the setup would work. Thus 
the conclusion must be that there is something wrong with my experiment. 
Sorry about the inconvenience.

Regz,

Tero

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:45:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
> To: "Soliman, Hesham" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "Tero Kauppinen (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>,
>     Dna <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: [DNA] DNA link hints document
>