Subject: RE: [DNA] IPv6 over PPP over GPRS -- once again

From: "Soliman, Hesham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:10:56 -0500

> I can confirm that RADIUS does not belong to this
 > discussion. (If there's RADIUS involvement, its always
 > on the network side, GGSN and onwards.)

=> Agreed.

 > 
 > I can also confirm that RAs are indeed sent by the GGSN.
 > My understanding is that if PPP is used between a phone a
 > laptop, the PDP context is reserved for the laptop and the
 > RA goes straight to the laptop too.

=> I don't think the GGSN knows if it's for the phone
or laptop. But yes the RA should be sent to the phone. 
And the phone should sent it to the laptop, but it's 
an implementatio issue. I don't recall anything in the 
spec that says the MT has to do that. Obviously it should 
do it though.

Hesham

===========================================================
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.
===========================================================

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:52:43 +0200

> or laptop. But yes the RA should be sent to the phone. 

The GGSN does not need to know, really. It always sends
an RA, and if the PDP context happens to be for the phone,
the phone is the ultimate user of that RA. If its the laptop
for which the PDP context has been requested, then the RA
ends up in the laptop.

> spec that says the MT has to do that. Obviously it should 

Yes. I did not find anything specific about this either,
but my understanding is that if a laptop establishes a
connection through the phone, the laptop gets its own
PDP context and gets everything sent to it -- including
the RAs.

--Jari