Subject: [DNA] Draft submission: <draft-iponair-dna-polimand-02.txt>

From: Stefan Aust <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:07:07 +0100

Dear DNA WG,

Please find the current I-D of <draft-iponair-dna-polimand-02.txt> at the
following link:

http://www.comnets.uni-bremen.de/~aust/draft-iponair-dna-polimand-02.txt

The IETF I-D announcement of this draft is available at:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/i-d-announce/current/msg04365.html

Comments are welcome.

Regards,

Stefan

Abstract:

A handover is the process during which a mobile node is handed over between
access networks. Especially for vertical handovers in overlay networks the
mobile node changes the access network using multiple interfaces including
different link layers, e.g., WLAN, GPRS, and UMTS. Handovers occur as a
consequence of lower layer (i.e., link-layer) handovers that signify a
switch of the physical connection to a new location. For the duration of a
handover, a mobile node is unable to send or receive traffic. The length of
this disruption is considered critical because it affects the performance of
the communication. An additional factor is the link layer selection. It
implies the selection of the most suitable link layer from which a mobile
node should receive services. 
With the help of DNA it is possible on one side to provide proactive
handover decision for mobility protocols (e.g., for MIPv6) and on the other
side to select the best link layer including multiple interface support.
This draft describes a method that allows seamless handovers and optimal
link layer selection using a proactive handover decision that is based on a
policy. The policy considers L2 information and DNA assumptions.

-----