Subject: [DNA] Question about Make before Break

From: Stefan Aust <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:22:21 +0100

Dear DNA WG,

I have a question regarding the draft

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hong-dna-if-l2-00.txt

Chapter 3.4 describes the Make before Break approach for Multiple Interfaces
and contains the following statement:

…To support the make before break method on multiple interfaces, each
link-layer technology must be the same.

I guess that this is not the case for mobile terminals which have more than
one wireless interface for different bearer technologies, e.g., WLAN, GPRS
and UMTS.

Especially for seamless roaming in overlay networks you will need access to
different link-layer technologies.

What is the idea behind this statement in the draft?

Regards,

Stefan

-----

Universität Bremen / University of Bremen

FB 1 - ikom/ComNets

Dipl.-Ing. Stefan Aust

Otto-Hahn-Allee NW1

28359 Bremen - Germany

Tel: +49 421 218 8264

Fax: +49 421 218 3601

Mail:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

Web:  <http://www.comnets.uni-bremen.de/~aust>
www.comnets.uni-bremen.de/~aust