Subject: [DNA] Document Action: 'Detecting Network Attachment in IPv6 Goals' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:39:15 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Detecting Network Attachment in IPv6 Goals '
   <draft-ietf-dna-goals-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Detecting Network Attachment Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

   At the time a host establishes a new link-layer connection, it may or
   may not have a valid IP configuration for Internet connectivity.  The
   host may check for link change, i.e.  determine whether a link change
   has occurred, and then, based on the result, it can automatically
   decide whether its IP configuration is still valid or not.  During
   link identity detection, the host may also collect necessary
   information to initiate a new IP configuration for the case that the
   IP subnet has changed.  In this memo, this procedure is called
   Detecting Network Attachment (DNA).  DNA schemes should be precise,
   sufficiently fast, secure and of limited signaling.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document is a work item fo the DNA WG.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.