Subject: RE: [DNA] Review of link-information from Pekka Savola

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:04:18 +0200

> I would be very careful when drawing conclusions from the signal 
> strength. It is not that uncommon to experience rapid (dramatic) changes 
> in the signal strength when using, for example, an 802.11 device. 
> However, a careless interpretation of the signal strength can easily 
> lead to a ping-pong effect, but I'm not still saying that such 
> information is useless.

I agree with Tero on this. Note that there are number of radios
that actually use the same spectrum and cause interference, which
could affect the signal strength reading.  Watching signaling
strength here during meetings show me that this is a fairly unreliable
mechanism.

John

---

From: "Tero Kauppinen (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:59:24 +0200

> The key point here, however, is that it seems useful to discuss and 
> figure out what other link information exists (rather than just link 
> up/dow), 

True. Discussing won't hurt.

Even though beyond the scope of DNA, links hints in addition to up and 
down provide interesting information from multi-access point of view, 
i.e. when there is a need to transfer sessions between interfaces. When 
running a single interface there is sometimes nothing that can be done, 
if for example, an interface is reported to be going down. Cases when an 
interface comes up are, on the other hand, quite interesting.

Tero