Subject: [DNA] Is there life after DNS ?

From: Marc Manthey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:14:22 +0200

Hi all,

did you ever ask yourself that question?
With 2369 domains we have the best root. We are the frontier. We have  
to think
what comes after DNS.

ICANN does not face that frontier. They used to have 250 Domains but  
they lost
one. No they are back to 249. They cannot go up to 250 again because the
next domain they want to introduse is "xxx." and that gets filtered and
accused on most servers they use because they are owned by universities.
It just happened to me and several others on NANOG. :)

IPv6 will be a challenge. No normal human beeing thinks of typing in  
IPv6
addresses. Cut and paste, maybe - but typing, no! IPv6 will break DNS!

There are nameservers behind firewalls that dont allow tpc  
connections to the
namesevers. IPv6 addresses will break packet borders and they will  
finally
break these nameservers.

You dont need IPv6? Ipv4 is good enuf for you?

Joe and me, we have seen IPv9 working. Stay with your old IPv4  
machines and let
governements decide what is good for you. Send your emails to the  
governement
and let them decide what is spam. They are looking forward to reading  
and maybe
forwarding or not your emails. Who needs to run a mailserver anyhow.  
Dont you
think its a good idea of the goverment to close port 25 forwarding?

If you dont think so read on!

Today we have to worlds a host might live in. There are some good  
guys running
servers running important machines with fixed addresses. They make up  
the world
of DNS. Everybody can ask DNS for their addresses and maybe their names.

And then we have hosts like yours and mine connected via NAT-routers  
to dsl- or
cable-modems or to good old pots via good old modems. Whenever I  
connect to the
internet I get a new ip. An ip that somebody else might have used for  
sending
spam the I cannot use it for sending emails. An ip that nobody knows  
not even me.
If I dont disconnect and reconnect my provider will do that for me  
once every
24 hours. That is the world of P2P users and services like no-ip.com .

How do these hosts know eachother? How do they find eachother. How do  
they
connect? How do they identify?

There is live outside DNS. I have met them.

Before we had DNS there was /etc/hosts and there still is NIS. NIS+  
might have
become DNS but SUN has given up. It does not scale up.

Still there is P2P. It is losely connected to DNS by services like no- 
ip.com

Does P2P really need static ip addresses?.

The DSLAM the concentrator and router I am connected to, manages some  
4K addresses.
To find echnaton.serveftp.com just try 4K ip addresses and you have  
got me.

If only 100 hosts of those 4K possible addresses in the voicinity of  
frankfurt on
main, germany had a P2P-nameservice running you would only have to  
ask 40 addresses
to get me.

You got me?

best  regards

regards,

marc manthey

www.cuseeme.de
********************************************************
opencuseeme /  peer2peer multiparty conferencing
********************************************************