Subject: [DNA] No FastRA unless Landmark? (draft-pentland-dna-protocol-00)

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:33:20 +1000

Hi,

In section 5.1.5, the proposal says:

"If the source address of the Router Solicitation is the
  Unspecified Address or if it does not contain a landmark option,
  then the router builds a CompleteRA and schedules it for multicast
  transmission as per RFC 2461.  The interface MUST remain in the
  UnicastSender state."

Is it intended that hosts which don't divulge their previously
attached prefix in a RS landmark option aren't provided with
FastRA service?

Greg

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:36:39 +1000

Sorry to reply to myself again.

Also, the subsequent paragraph has the same logic.

"If the source address of the RS is NOT the unspecified address,
  AND the RS message contains a Landmark option, the router consumes
  one unicast send token and then builds a Router Advertisement as
  follows:"

It would be good to know why Hash Based Fast RA (based on the
source address only) requires the Landmark Option.

Greg

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:45:20 -0700

> source address only) requires the Landmark Option.

I don't think it does. The current text might just reflect the focus on 
the most important cases, and also tries to limit the number of cases.

But the fastRA decision could be made to be orthogonal to the content of 
the RA (i.e. whether there is a LO or not).

   Erik

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:10:42 +1000

Hi Erik,

> the RA (i.e. whether there is a LO or not).

Thanks for clarifying.

Greg