Subject: RE: [DNA] Revised dna-link-info I-D

From: "Tero Kauppinen (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:14:50 +0200

Hi Alper,

This has already been discussed on the mailing list, but I wanted to bring it up again anyway.

I feel that it's worth noting in the draft (maybe in Section 2.: "Among these two event the first one...) that certain link technologies (I only know of 802.11) don't necessarily produce a link-down event prior a link-up event when the node re-associates with a new AP. If such a link-down event is desirable, it must be generated from the host's stack because I don't think it is realistic to assume that already existing hardware will be updated to produce such events.

--
Tero 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alper Yegin
Sent: 18. heinäkuuta 2005 22:03
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [DNA] Revised dna-link-info I-D

Folks,

I've had submitted the revised version of the dna-link-info I-D 10 days
ago, but it hasn't showed up on the IETF repository yet. For that,
please see a copy of the I-D at the following location:

http://yegin.org/IETF/draft-ietf-dna-link-information-02.txt

The major changes in this revision include:

- New text for IEEE 802.3.
- Handling multiple 3GPP PDP Contexts.

I'd like to take your attention to the changes we needed to make in
order to accommodate nondeterministic L2 events on Ethernet (e.g., link
is up but the host the network may block data transmission). Please read
Section 2 and the entire 2.4 to see the details.

Please review and comment before the Paris meeting.

Alper

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:10:50 -0700

Hi Tero,

How about if we add one more sentence to the end of this paragraph:

   Among these two events the first one to take place after an interface
   becomes enabled MUST be a link up event.  During the time a network
   interface is enabled, it may go through a series of link up and down
   events.  Each time the interface changes its point of attachment, a
   link down event with the previous attachment point MUST be followed
   by a link up event with the new one.  Finally, when the network
   interface is disabled, this MUST generate a link down event.  Each
   one of these events MUST generate a notification in the order they
   occur. Note that, a link down notification MAY NOT be generated
   if an optional tear-down protocol exchange or mechanism is skipped
   prior to performing a handover.

Alper

> From: Tero Kauppinen (JO/LMF) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 1:15 AM
> To: Alper Yegin; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [DNA] Revised dna-link-info I-D
> 
> Hi Alper,
> 
> This has already been discussed on the mailing list, but I wanted to
bring
> it up again anyway.
> 
> I feel that it's worth noting in the draft (maybe in Section 2.:
"Among
> these two event the first one...) that certain link technologies (I
only
> know of 802.11) don't necessarily produce a link-down event prior a
link-
> up event when the node re-associates with a new AP. If such a
link-down
> event is desirable, it must be generated from the host's stack because
I
> don't think it is realistic to assume that already existing hardware
will
> be updated to produce such events.
> 
> --
> Tero
> 
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:owner-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alper Yegin