Subject: [DNA] Re: [Mipshop] RE: [Mobopts] Interest in protocols for IEEE 802.21 IS, CS, ES

From: 박수홍 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:20:21 +0000 (GMT)

CARD is an IETF stuff. 802.21 framework runs under IP
layer.

That's all.

In terms of protocol aspect, CARD is still an experimental track

and further, I don't agree CARD might be a standard track.

Regards,

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)

Mobile Platform Laboratory. SAMSUNG Electronics

------- Original Message -------
Sender : Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1<[email-masked]>
Date : Jul 13, 2005 13:07
Title : [Mipshop] RE: [Mobopts] Interest in protocols for IEEE 802.21 IS, CS,
ES
Hi Michael,

I do not see any mention of CARD protocol here. I think CARD is more appropriate candidate for IEEE 802.21 information service protocol. CARD is now published as experimental RFC. So, I would request that we should focus to advance CARD protocol to standard track and then use CARD for information service unless we can really find good reason to define a new protocol.

Perhaps you might remember that I have mentioned use of CARD protocol in one of earlier IEEE 802.21 meetings but I could not continue to participate in subsequent IEEE meeting due to personal reason.

Regards,

Ajoy

-----Original Message-----

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]

Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:02 PM

To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]

Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]

Subject: [Mobopts] Interest in protocols for IEEE 802.21 IS, CS, ES

Colleagues,

The IEEE 802.21 working group is developing services for facilitating IP

address mobility and service mobility, especially handoff across a

variety of media. The group is interested in working with the relevant

IETF/IRTF working groups to develop methods of  carrying  these services

across the network.  It would be ideal to discuss this at the next IETF

meeting.

There are multiple drafts currently issued or in development that are

interesting and could serve as the basis for starting the work.

Drafts of interest include but are not limited to :

"Neighborhood Information Elements Discovery (NED)

(draft-kempf-mobopts-nhood-discovery-00.txt), which provides a generic

protocol for carrying information elements of interest to IEEE 802.21."

"Some Requirements for a Media Independent Handover Information Service"

(draft-faccin-mih-infoserv-00.txt,

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/dna/draft-faccin-mih-infoserv-00.txt

<http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/dna/draft-faccin-mih-infoserv-00.txt> ).

"Architectural Implications of Link Indications"

http://www.iab.org/documents/drafts/draft-iab-link-indications-01.txt

<http://www.iab.org/documents/drafts/draft-iab-link-indications-01.txt>

"Unified L2 Abstractions for L3-Driven Fast Handover"

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-koki-mobopts-l2-abstractions-0

2.txt

"A Framework of Media-Independent Pre-Authentication (MPA)"

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohba-mobopts-mpa-framework-00.

txt

Best Regards,

Michael G. Williams

IEEE 802.21 Working Group Vice Chair

_______________________________________________

Mobopts mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mobopts

_______________________________________________

Mipshop mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

Regards

---

From: Eunsoo Shim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:01:27 -0400

Hi, Soohong,

Please let me add a comment in this discussion.

> CARD is an IETF stuff. 802.21 framework runs under IP layer.
>
This is generally the case. But the requirement of 802.21 IS
(Information Service) "to be Media Indepent" makes a different case.
If the contact point for a mobile talking 802.21 IS is a function
separated from (or independent of) any specific L2 entity or L2
technology, then it should be IP transport. If L2 protocol entities such
as the Access Point talk 802.21 IS, this adds a lot of overhead to each
L2 protocol and its entity such as Access Points, in particular if they
have to learn about the environment (maybe beyond the scope of its own
technology?) such as IP layer information.

It would be a long and open-ended process to modify/extend every single
L2 to adopt 802.21 IS. To be "Media Independent", using IP as transport
is a logical and quickest way. So I'd say 802.21 framework will be
designed in IEEE 802.21 but the protocol for 802.21 IS should come from
IETF. If a protocol comes from IETF, CARD is the primary candidate
because it was designed for the functions IEEE 802.21 IS is meant to do.
What do you think?

Regards,

Eunsoo