Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: LinkID v.s. Landmark Prefix

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:46:56 +1000

Dear JinHyeock,

----- Original Message -----
[cut]
> > 
> > In this case, no change will be detected upon arrival to
> > link M, and the previous prefix will remain configured.
> 
> The above example gives a problem because a linkid prefix is 
> reassigned to the other link within 3 hours. 
> 
> The draft recommends that a linkid prefix should not be reassigned
> to other link within 3 hours. 
> 
> If network administrator follows the recommendation, such
> a problem won't happen. So I don't think we need to worry about 
> this problem.  

In None of the cases, is there an error unless there is
reassignment of the prefix within the lifetime of the 
RA, and the timeout of information over an interval
(?? don't know if it is 3 hours) has been previously 
described as a minor modification to both CompleteRA and
Landmarks. 

These were all assumed to apply the same technique.

So if we wait 3 hours, they are all equally robust
(perfectly so).  This is the common case with all
the examples presented thus far.

What has been discussed recently on list was precisely 
the issue of operators reassigning prefixes without
following recommendations.

If you believe this is not an important issue, we can
check if others think so too, and avoid inventing
cases for it.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

---

From: JinHyeock Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:13:01 +0900

Greg 

> the examples presented thus far.

No, the above technique concerns only for "flash renumbering 
and early reassignment" but there were examples which were
not related to "flash renumbering and early reassignment".   

> following recommendations.

The example I gave Erik has nothing to do with 
reassignment. 

I think you have a misconception. The synchronization issues 
raised so far don't concerns only "flash renubmering and early 
reassignment". They also deal with "flassping" or "Temporary 
lack of synchronization." 

Best Regards

JinHyeock