Subject: [DNA] Token bucket for limiting responses to RSs in landmark-based DNA proposal

From: Brett Pentland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:32:00 +1000

Hi folks,

A while back on the design team list we had a discussion about
the proposed token bucket scheme for rate limiting routers' responses
to RSs.  The discussion started somewhere around

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/warchive/dna-dt/2005-04/msg00316.html

and continued around

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/warchive/dna-dt/2005-05/msg00016.html

There was a proposal to use a random drop model triggered by
measured rate of RS arrival.  Sathya did some simulations to
compare performance.  The first of these can be found at

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/warchive/dna-dt/2005-05/msg00018.html

and later ones in subsequent emails on that thread.

The outcome was that the random drop algorithm performed better, but
that with a small modification to the token bucket - doing away with
the unicast and multicast sender states, and just allowing a fast
unicast response whenever there is a token in the bucket (which is
actually what we started out with way back) - performs similarly,
but with less complexity.

I think we were just about convinced that this modification to the
token bucket was the way to go, but didn't quite close out the
issue before the date we had set ourselves to post the -00 draft.

Does anyone (DT members included) have any comment on this?
Brett.

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:57:15 -0700

I agree that we should go with the modified token bucket algorithm. I'd
especially like to thank Sathya for his good work on this item.

            jak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Pentland" <[email-masked]>
To: "Dna" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 1:32 AM
Subject: [DNA] Token bucket for limiting responses to RSs in landmark-based
DNA proposal