Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-02.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:40:01 -0500

Count:       10 

dispatch                                                    J. Rosenberg
Internet-Draft                                               jdrosen.net
Intended status:  Standards Track                            C. Jennings
Expires:  September 8, 2010                                        Cisco
                                                           March 7, 2010

Verification Involving PSTN Reachability: Requirements and Architecture
                                Overview
               draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-02

 Abstract

   The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) has seen widespread deployment
   within individual domains, typically supporting voice and video
   communications.  Though it was designed from the outset to support
   inter-domain federation over the public Internet, such federation has
   not materialized.  The primary reasons for this are the complexities
   of inter-domain phone number routing and concerns over security.
   This document reviews this problem space, outlines requirements, and
   then describes a new model and technique for inter-domain federation
   with SIP, called Verification Involving PSTN Reachability (ViPR).
   ViPR addresses the problems that have prevented inter-domain
   federation over the Internet.  It provides fully distributed inter-
   domain routing for phone numbers, authorized mappings from phone
   numbers to domains, a new technique for automated VOIP anti-spam, and
   privacy of number ownership, all while preserving the trapezoidal
   model of SIP.

Legal

   This documents and the information contained therein are provided on
   an "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE
   REPRESENTS OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE
   IETF TRUST AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL
   WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY
   WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION THEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE
   ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
   FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.