Subject: [dns-privacy] RFC 7858 on Specification for DNS over Transport Layer Security (TLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 15:24:45 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7858

        Title:      Specification for DNS over Transport 
                    Layer Security (TLS) 
        Author:     Z. Hu, L. Zhu,
                    J. Heidemann, A. Mankin,
                    D. Wessels, P. Hoffman
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 42138
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7858

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7858

This document describes the use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) to
provide privacy for DNS.  Encryption provided by TLS eliminates
opportunities for eavesdropping and on-path tampering with DNS
queries in the network, such as discussed in RFC 7626.  In addition,
this document specifies two usage profiles for DNS over TLS and
provides advice on performance considerations to minimize overhead
from using TCP and TLS with DNS.

This document focuses on securing stub-to-recursive traffic, as per
the charter of the DPRIVE Working Group.  It does not prevent future
applications of the protocol to recursive-to-authoritative traffic.

This document is a product of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 22:05:45 -0400

I wanted to thank both the authors and the working group for all of
the hard work that went into this.

I think that we have made really good progress (considering the normal
speed of the IETF these days), and am happy with the document.... and
now, onto profiles...
W

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dns-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-privacy

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 07:44:48 +0100

> the hard work that went into this.

+1 and +chairs!

> speed of the IETF these days), and am happy with the document.... and

I'd be really happy to start to see bug reports when deployment
of this shows up issues.

Cheers,
S.