Subject: [dns-privacy] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 20:17:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS PRIVate Exchange of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS over DTLS (DNSoD)
        Authors         : Tirumaleswar Reddy
                          Dan Wing
                          Prashanth Patil
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-08.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-07-28

Abstract:
   DNS queries and responses are visible to network elements on the path
   between the DNS client and its server.  These queries and responses
   can contain privacy-sensitive information which is valuable to
   protect.  An active attacker can send bogus responses causing
   misdirection of the subsequent connection.

   To counter passive listening and active attacks, this document
   proposes the use of Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) for DNS,
   to protect against passive listeners and certain active attacks.  As
   DNS needs to remain fast, this proposal also discusses mechanisms to
   reduce DTLS round trips and reduce DTLS handshake size.  The proposed
   mechanism runs over port 853.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 03:33:47 +0000

This revision addresses comments from Stephane and Alexander.

-Tiru

> -----Original Message-----
> From: dns-privacy [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 8:48 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [dns-privacy] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-08.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dns-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-privacy

---

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 06:35:19 +0000

> This revision addresses comments from Stephane and Alexander.

Thanks - this looks good for WGLC :)

Alex

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 09:57:28 -0700

I think this document is ready for WG Last Call. I would like to see 
more direct comparison to RFC 7858 for expected server overhead and 
expected round trips after deployment of TLS 1.3, but those can come 
during WG Last Call discussion.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 03:23:57 +0000

> From: dns-privacy [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Paul
> Hoffman
> Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 10:27 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [dns-privacy] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-08.txt
> 
> I think this document is ready for WG Last Call. I would like to see more direct
> comparison to RFC 7858 for expected server overhead and expected round
> trips after deployment of TLS 1.3, but those can come during WG Last Call
> discussion.

Comparison b/w DTLS and TLS, and TLS 1.3 is discussed in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-dprive-profile-and-msg-flows-01. Please review.

Cheers,
-Tiru

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 20:55:33 -0700

On 31 Jul 2016, at 20:23, Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy) wrote:

>> Paul
>> more direct
> Comparison b/w DTLS and TLS, and TLS 1.3 is discussed in 
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-dprive-profile-and-msg-flows-01. 
> Please review.

Unless we are sure that that document is going to be published, I think 
the comparison should be in draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls.

Chairs: are we going to progress the msg-flows document?

--Paul Hoffman