Subject: [dns-privacy] Dowse: "the privacy hub"

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 15:58:27 +0200

For your information. This project is about a future home router
which, by default, tries hard to preserve privacy. One of the
interesting thing for us is that DNS requests are transparently
intercepted by the router, encrypted (with DNScrypt) and sent to a
public resolver.

http://dowse.equipment/

---

From: Sara Dickinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:25:39 +0100

> On 28 Jul 2016, at 14:58, Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Yes, interesting. Since it seems that both SIDN and NLnet Foundation support the project perhaps they have an opinion about it moving to a Standards based privacy mechanism in the future?  :-) 

I also recently became aware of this browser (aimed at the Russian market and based on Chromium) that encrypts DNS lookups, also uses DNSCrypt: https://browser.yandex.com

Sara.

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 14:27:00 +0200

Sara,

At 2016-07-29 11:25:39 +0100
Sara Dickinson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, interesting. Since it seems that both SIDN and NLnet Foundation
> support the project perhaps they have an opinion about it moving to a
> Standards based privacy mechanism in the future?  :-) 
> 
> I also recently became aware of this browser (aimed at the Russian
> market and based on Chromium) that encrypts DNS lookups, also uses
> DNSCrypt: https://browser.yandex.com

Do you think it makes sense to make an informational RFC describing the
differences between DNSCrypt and DNS over TLS? (And perhaps DNS over
DTLS since that appears to be moving towards RFC status...)

Cheers,

--
Shane