Subject: [dns-privacy] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-dprive-dtls-and-tls-profiles-09: (with DISCUSS)

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 20:43:15 -0700

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dprive-dtls-and-tls-profiles-09: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dtls-and-tls-profiles/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have a concern regarding section 7.3 as it is not clear what really
is being requested on the DHCP front here. While using an IP address or
an FQDN are generally both possible choices while providing configuration
options using DHCP, the use of FQDNs for acquiring trusted DNS servers
seems problematic. We have spent a great deal of effort writing up some
of the potential issues in Section 8 of RFC7227. It would be good if you
can take a look and clarify what is required from a potential new DHCP
option and how the failure modes are expected to be handled.