Subject: mDNS vs DNS

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 05:47:18 -0700

Somebody said this morning that the wg did not wanted to combine mDNS & DNS.
There is something I do not understand and I would like some clarification.
On most systems I know, there is a switch that tells the system which name 
service
to use, and in which order.
e.g. check /etc/hosts first, then NIS, then DNS... or a different order.
Why couldn't there be an entry in the switch that says
check /etc/hosts first, then try mDNS, then try DNS?

	- Alain.

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:23:31 +0100

> ...

and this precisely makes clear that mDNS is not part of the DNS.

randy

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:25:08 -0700 (PDT)

> check /etc/hosts first, then try mDNS, then try DNS?

You've just described the "use the name service searchlist" school of
thought on configuring mDNS. As with the domain searchlist, this approach
can be used with a DHCP option (RFC 2937) or based on local configuration.