Subject: Question on Stewart's last mDNS item

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 05:32:22 -0500

Did svrloc crash & burn without me noticing?  Or is there a
terrible gap in coverage?

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 05:30:27 -0700 (PDT)

% 
% Did svrloc crash & burn without me noticing?  Or is there a
% terrible gap in coverage?
% 
If you were on the old srv-loc list, you should have seen this:
	-----------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:08:02 -0700

Welcome to the [email-masked] mailing list! A
lot of changes have occurred for the SVRLOC WG.

First, as you probably noticed, our server 'srvloc.org' has gone away.
We have found a new host on sourceforge.net.

Second, with the publication of RFC 3111 "Service Location Protocol
Modifications for IPv6", the SVRLOC WG has completed all the work on
its charter.  The working group has concluded.

Work on SLP is continuing.  

  - There are individual submission internet drafts are 
    continuing on their way towards being RFCs - all in 
    need of review.

    draft-guttman-svrloc-vendor-ext-04.txt
    draft-zhao-slp-da-interaction-10.txt
    draft-day-svrloc-exclusion-01.txt

  - We are working on (and will soon be discussing actively)
    promoting SLPv2 to draft standard.  This will require
    
    a list of changes (dropped features and clarifications)
    a new specification
    thorough interoperability testing
    an implemenatation report
    an IETF last call

  - We are gathering service templates.  If you have any
    to register, send them to [email-masked].
    You can join this mailing list.  This mailing list
    is inactive - but hopefully will pick up.  Its (currently
    empty) archive is located at:

    http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/svrloc-template

Even though the official IETF working group has concluded, work on SLP
will continue through participation on this mailing list.  I look
forward to further collaboration and progress standardizing and
developing this protocol.  Please continue to support this work.

Erik Guttman Chair of the now concluded SVRLOC WG

To post to this list, send your email to:

  [email-masked]

General information about the mailing list is at:

  http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/srvloc-discuss

-- 
--bill

---

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 08:25:52 -0500

> If you were on the old srv-loc list, you should have seen this:

OK, so did they or didn't they solve the problems that it
seemed like Stewrt wanted addressed in mDNS.  I thought they
had, but I had tuned out ...

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:49:03 -0700

> had, but I had tuned out ...

SLP **does** solve the problem of discovering named abstract services,
etc. SLPv2 was specifically designed to provide functions to obselete 
NetBIOS and Appletalk.  A specific doc describing how to do this would 
probably be useful.

The SVRLOC WG has concluded.  There is ongoing work on a mailing list
hosted by sourceforge.net.  We are working toward advancing SLPv2 to
draft standard.  See http://www.srvloc.org

Erik

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:17:27 +0200 (CEST)

> terrible gap in coverage?

svrloc was closed a few months back. They had completed all items on
their charter - which was to standardize SLP.

   Erik