Subject: Re: Discovery discussion restrictions NOT

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 01:17:15 -0700

Olafur;

> > > For those who for some strange reason do not seem to notice that the
> > > discussion is taking place, with his message of June 19 Thomas Narten
> > > lifted the restrictions imposed on discussion on above draft by chair
> > > on June 5th.
> > 
> > "above"? Which draft?
> > 
> draft-ymbk--opcode-discover-02.txt 

Thanks.

I think the basic assumption of the draft

	With the development of multicast capabilities in the DNS

is wrong.

The Internet or DNS is not going anywhere with multicast, yet. 

A better solution for a small offices, where security is not an issue,
is to use site-local unicast addresses (3 should be enough) for
site-local DNS servers and put them to default /etc/resolv.conf etc.

We can make the address anycast for a very large office, if site
administrators can keep routing to the servers bi-directional. But,
it is easier to divide the office into smaller ones.

If there is some security concern, we must configure secret
information, compared to which configuraing DNS server addresses
are negligible (though the local unicast addresses are usable).

							Masataka Ohta

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.