Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:09:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Representing IPv6 addresses in DNS
	Author(s)	: R. Bush, A. Durand, B. Fink, O. Gudmundsson, T. Hain
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 27-Sep-01
	
This document clarifies and updates the standards status of RFCs that
define direct and reverse map of IPv6 addresses in DNS. This document
moves the A6 and Bit label specifications to experimental status.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:44:52 +0300 (EEST)

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt

Just a note; I support this but in all honesty, perhaps s/consensus/rough
consensus/ would be closer to the community opinion. :-)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:17:29 -0400

>consensus/ would be closer to the community opinion. :-)

The point of the document is to judge consensus, editors tried to
capture the "sense of the room" in London and this is now put out
for judging what kind consensus is  for the recommendations, by the
working group.
Fire away, editors have put on their asbestos suits :-))
If there is no discussion, the co-chairs may start a last call real soon.

         Olafur

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Sep 2001 19:39:17 -0700

> working group.  Fire away, editors have put on their asbestos suits :-))

this i-d kills ipv6 for any practical purpose beyond 3G deployment, by
raising the renumbering penalty beyond any possible benefit, and by
moving the multihoming problem back into the routing system where there
is no current hope of solving it.

this i-d is an implicit declaration that ipv4 with NAT is the future of
the internet and that we had all better stop spending time on ipv6 other
than to make sure wireless clouds and other ieee MAC mappings can use it
at the edges.