Subject: mDNS configuration discussion summary

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:30:24 -0700 (PDT)

In the recent thread relating to mDNS configuration, concern has been
expressed about the overloading of the DNS searchlist for purposes of mDNS
configuration. As a result, several alternative proposals have been
advanced, including an mDNS enable search option, and extension of RFC
2937, the name service search list. 

Each of the proposals under discussion enables stateful configuration of
mDNS via a DHCP option. However, it was pointed out that only the DNS
searchlist can currently be discovered as part of the stateless DNS
Configuration Discovery (DDNS) proposals under development within
IPNG WG. 

In examining the RFC 2937 approach, several issues have arisen:

a. RFC 2937 currently uses DHCP option numbers in order to identify the
   name services in the searchlist. 

b. RFC 2937 only addresses the issue of search ordering; it does not
   provide a mechanism for enabling or disabling individual name
   resolution mechanisms. For example, if DNS is not included in the
   searchlist, this does not imply that DNS is not to be used,
   particularly if DNS server addresses are provided in another
   option. 

In order to address these issues, as well as to take into account the
concerns expressed in the thread, I would like to propose the following
approach:

1. Delete references to use of the DNS searchlist for purposes of
   mDNS configuration. Other than the issue of stateless discovery,
   (addressed below) there was not much support for use of this approach. 

2. Utilize the mDNS enable option in order to enable or disable mDNS.

3. Utilize RFC 2937 (using the mDNS option code allocated for the above
   option) to specify the order in which mDNS will be used relative to
   other name resolution mechanisms.  

4. Add support for stateless discovery of mDNS enable/disable to the DDNS
   proposals in progress in IPNG WG. Since the proposals enable discovery
   of attributes, this should not be difficult. 

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:22:07 +0200 (MET DST)

> I would like to propose the following approach:
> 
> 1. Delete references to use of the DNS searchlist for...mDNS configuration.
>
> 3. Utilize RFC 2937 to specify the order in which mDNS will be used 
> 
> 4. Add...stateless discovery of mDNS enable/disable to...DDNS...in...IPNG

I support this proposal.

Erik