Subject: [dnsext] EDNS0 Option Code

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:29:42 -0800

I'm planning to request a new EDNS0 Option Code from IANA, and I  
thought it would make sense to run the idea by this group first. I'll  
be in the dnsext meeting on Tuesday to answer any questions in person.

The new option code is for something I'm calling a sleep proxy.

The idea of "Wake On LAN Magic Packet" has been around for more than  
ten years, but so far it's had limited use.

The idea of my sleep proxy is that when a host (that supports DNS-SD/ 
mDNS) goes to sleep, it uses DNS Update to transfer its DNS-SD records  
to a sleep proxy on the same link (which it discovers using DNS-SD/ 
mDNS). At the end of the DNS Update packet it adds an EDNS0 OPT record  
in the additional section, containing an EDNS0 "owner" sub-option.

An EDNS0 "owner" sub-option looks like this:

1 byte: version (currently 0; allows compatible future enhancements to  
this EDNS0 option)
1 byte: sequence number (starts at zero, and increments each time the  
host wakes from sleep)
6 bytes: MAC address.

The sleep proxy server records the DNS records in the DNS Update  
Query, and tags them with the MAC address from the EDNS0 "owner" sub- 
option. The sleep proxy answers queries on behalf of the sleeping  
machine, and when it sees traffic which warrants waking the sleeping  
host, it sends a "Wake On LAN Magic Packet" to the sleeping machine's  
MAC address to wake it up.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
* Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Inc.
* Internet Architecture Board
* www.stuartcheshire.org

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>